Sign in to follow this  
BerndB

Legacy night sky with EA enabled after update 5.3

But this is not going to cut it, looks pretty twinkle twinkle but as for an accurate looking star night sky - no!

4GFJCKs.jpg

On 12/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, coastaldriver said:

Well I guess that begs the question is there a star.dat mod around that would be useable? There were a couple around in FSX days that were particular good for those who liked to recognise one star from another. 

I´am using my former star.dat replacement, which i have created some time ago. It´s not what´s TrueSky is offering but better than the P3D standard. Because the Program i have used to crate this starfield isn´t working anymore, you have to take it as it is. It´s not the seasonal correct nightsky actually, but it shows the real stars and planetary objects as best as possible. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkwSNPbXmGi8gkkYoSIXvykxHcsP?e=rtX9r4

• Like 3

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Yes I had a look at some of my older star mods but the latest version of P3D no longer uses some of the textures from the past such as the Milky Way or Aurora's. Might try some of the previous star dats and see what happens. The only change that has annoyed me as I liked my realistic night skys and the milky way, like I see it out my backdoor at night. There is another point any serious night flyer gets to know the main constellations and stars and it helps you keep orientated not now!

To be honest, I am quite surprised that they revert back to this legacy sky that did not look realistic at all to me. 

2 questions,

have you guys tried to edit the stars.dat in order to get a better looking sky in 5.3hf1, if so, are you satisfied? could you post a screenshot? Is there a way the change the brightness as well?

Is there a way to use that  « truesky night sky « that I liked quite a bit in the lastest version? Would it be feasible to come up with some sort of tweak to have it in 5.3hf1.

merry Christmas to you all. 

What's funny, with EA off, the stars now are so faint you barely can make them out. It's like they reverse it

Eric 

On 12/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, B777ER said:

What's funny, with EA off, the stars now are so faint you barely can make them out. It's like they reverse it

Eric, i have not tested this yet. It sounds weird, because it´s especially the legacy graphic mode which relies on the star.dat file. Could it be, that you use a customised star.dat, where the brightness of the stars is turned down like in mine. It could be that LM has already turned down the starfield brightness, which would added up in much more faint stars.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 hour ago, BerndB said:

Eric, i have not tested this yet. It sounds weird, because it´s especially the legacy graphic mode which relies on the star.dat file. Could it be, that you use a customised star.dat, where the brightness of the stars is turned down like in mine. It could be that LM has already turned down the starfield brightness, which would added up in much more faint stars.

I do use a customized star.dat as it mimics real world better than default. With EA on in 5.3 they show up nice and bright like in legacy mode in 5.2. But for some reason flipping EA off darkens them. I went back to 5.2 client due to the stuttering issue so can't test anymore. 

Eric 

On 12/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, B777ER said:

Ah! So that is why i am having this issue. I thought it was my end

Why on earth would they make a change like this where you can hardly see any stars with EA off. Does that file on here take it back to what it was like before?

Is this what folks are talking about here, a giant Milky Way that's bright with low resolution as well?  Anyone know what file this is or how I can get rid of it?  Thanks.

xVzseRV.png

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I swapped in some texture replacements and star dat from the freeware FlightSim Jewels earlier P3D night sky mods. It now looks fine as far as I can tell but not exact, try it! Just a bit laborious as the textures and data are not easily located but the older mods seem better. Worth a try nothing to lose!