Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

ADDS,ADDS,ADDS

I am now getting a banner add at the top of the page as well as the bottom of the page. And, when I click on a post to read it, a third add appears for a bit in the middle. I know it takes money to run this site, but can't we have something like a VIP option to donate some amount of money to not see these adds? I for one would be happy to do this. On my 17" laptop almost half the page height is taken up by adds. Add to that they are constantly flashing changing adds which is really distracting when you are trying to read something on the page.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think you mean ad's? 

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

I haven't seen an ad onAVSIM since I got AdGuard.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

7 hours ago, Vineguy said:

I think you mean ad's? 

Yeah I think that’s what he meant. I was also confused when I saw ADDS, ADDS, ADDS?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

11 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

I am now getting a banner add at the top of the page as well as the bottom of the page. And, when I click on a post to read it, a third add appears for a bit in the middle. I know it takes money to run this site, but can't we have something like a VIP option to donate some amount of money to not see these adds? I for one would be happy to do this. On my 17" laptop almost half the page height is taken up by adds. Add to that they are constantly flashing changing adds which is really distracting when you are trying to read something on the page.

Install a blocker like Ad Block Plus

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I simply wouldn't use the internet if it wasn't for uBlock Origin. Ad's are utterly unbearable to me. I find them invasive and beyond rude most of the time.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

2 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I find them invasive and beyond rude most of the time.

It's part of our technological progress.  Flood the consumer with ads wherever he is.  We find in on the internet, the telemarketer calls that annoy us every day, the junk mail that crams out mailboxes.  The put adds in every nook and cranny they can find.  Madison avenue hucksters gone wild.

I like to watch old sitcoms on TV.  On some stations 30 minute programs now last 40 minutes so they can cram in 10 more minutes of commercials.  

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 minutes ago, birdguy said:

It's part of our technological progress.  Flood the consumer with ads wherever he is.  We find in on the internet, the telemarketer calls that annoy us every day, the junk mail that crams out mailboxes.  The put adds in every nook and cranny they can find.  Madison avenue hucksters gone wild.

I like to watch old sitcoms on TV.  On some stations 30 minute programs now last 40 minutes so they can cram in 10 more minutes of commercials.  

Noel

Quite.

I simply refuse to subject myself to the vapid repetative dullness of modern advertising. I do not watch live TV anymore and record everything so I can skip the ad's. I won't use the web without an ad blocker and I won't listen to comercial radio stations. Any adverts that do get through my anti-ad defence mesh immediatey trigger the opposite to their desired effect and I boycott, for life, anyone I catch advertising to me. Especially the ones that have started doing it in the condecending, patronising, preachy woke way they do it these days. I am just not willing to put up with this tripe and I don't have to. It's just a shame most others seem all to willing to be the recepticle for the cynical rubbish of professional manipulators peddling mostly c**p which is now often framed in an ill-considered ideology to make you feel guilty and presented by some phoney and unlikeable "useful word not allowed". It's grotesque.

My biggest problem with it - besides the annoyance - is that it seems to me that we in the west no longer make anything anymore and we have certainly morally lost our way and the only growth industry is pushing more and more of this advertising nonsense to sell the c**p that is made somewhere else in the world. We are no longer part of the process. We are both the product and the cash donors and that is all we are. It's all "Big Tech" seems to really be about and frankly, it feels degenerate, unsustainable and like "end of empire" stuff to me so I want no part in it. It certainly no longer feels like the capitalism I grew up with and love.

I feel strongly about this as you can probably tell😂

Rant over 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

10 minutes ago, Jazz said:

It's grotesque.

Preach on Brother. It is grotesque.

We are nothing but consumers. Ross Perot was right, after all.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

2 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Preach on Brother. It is grotesque.

We are nothing but consumers. Ross Perot was right, after all.

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea who Ross Perot is or what he said 😕

I'm also rather staggered at the word the forum chose to censor in my little rant. Ridiculous 🙄. How pathetically fragile we have become.

I'm here every day on a PC. I have never seen a single add or popup. Using Firefox browser. Firefox is famous for being add free and private browsing. It makes font size and legibility, bookmarks, menu changes, video speeds, very easy to adjust too.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Ross Perot was a man who ran for POTUS the same year Bill Clinton won and Bush lost.

He was the prototype successful tech bro (Perot Systems) turned celebrity/crank. He famously said (paraphrasing here): "That sucking sound you hear is all the jobs that will be lost if we pass the proposed NAFTA legislation." 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

7 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Ross Perot was a man who ran for POTUS the same year Bill Clinton won and Bush lost.

He was the prototype successful tech bro (Perot Systems) turned celebrity/crank. He famously said (paraphrasing here): "That sucking sound you hear is all the jobs that will be lost if we pass the proposed NAFTA legislation." 

I see what you mean. Yes, indeed, it seems that he was correct.

I'm surprised I have never heard of him. We know most of your bigger politicians and buisness people even over this side of the pond. Although, I feel like I am forgetting more and more these days. Perhaps I have just forgotten him.

57 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea who Ross Perot is or what he said

Oh Lord!  Am I THAT old?

Noel

• Like 1

Just now, birdguy said:

Oh Lord!  Am I THAT old?

Noel

😂 Perhaps, I don't know but it wasn't an age thing for me, fella. It was a different country thing 😉