Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Scenery Flickering Seems Entirely Gone in New Beta!

One of the best features I've discovered thus far in the just-released public beta is that flickering of the ground scenery, especially around buildings, now appears to be almost entirely gone. I made no adjustments to my settings, so I'm ascribing the vast improvement to the quality of the update. I didn't realize what a difference this would make to immersion. But it does. Good job, Asobo. Elsewhere I've posted about the cloud-altitude problem. But I felt the positive news -- and there's much of it -- deserves a thread of its own.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

7 hours ago, David Mills said:

One of the best features I've discovered thus far in the just-released public beta is that flickering of the ground scenery, especially around buildings, now appears to be almost entirely gone. I made no adjustments to my settings, so I'm ascribing the vast improvement to the quality of the update. I didn't realize what a difference this would make to immersion. But it does. Good job, Asobo. Elsewhere I've posted about the cloud-altitude problem. But I felt the positive news -- and there's much of it -- deserves a thread of its own.

You mean the shimmering? That was most probably a manifestation of the reduced color depth which is crucial for a good antialiasing.

• Like 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

7 hours ago, David Mills said:

I've discovered thus far in the just-released public beta is that flickering of the ground scenery,

I noticed same thing i thought it was my nvidia driver update 👍

• Like 1

My best content 👇                

spacer.png                              

R7-3800XT // 32Gb@3200 // B550 TUF// NVIDIA 3090 FE // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Seasonic GOLD GX-850W // Philips OLED 804 // YOKE Honeycombe + Throttle X52 Pro // Windows 10

3 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

You mean the shimmering? That was most probably a manifestation of the reduced color depth which is crucial for a good antialiasing.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, as the effect seemed to appear around the same time as the lower colour depth / colour banding in the clouds.  All good anyway!

For the beta testers (which isn't me, yet), a good way to test the colour banding issue is to look at the reflection of the sun in calm water.  
Last time I looked it was really bad, like the sun had a rainbow halo around it in reflection.  hopefully it is gone or very much reduced now. :smile:

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

51 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly, as the effect seemed to appear around the same time as the lower colour depth / colour banding in the clouds.  All good anyway!

For the beta testers (which isn't me, yet), a good way to test the colour banding issue is to look at the reflection of the sun in calm water.  
Last time I looked it was really bad, like the sun had a rainbow halo around it in reflection.  hopefully it is gone or very much reduced now. :smile:

Yes absolutely. The halo around the sun is not there anymore and the sky color degrades from blue to white/yellowish/orange (depending on the time of the day) gradually without bands.

You can see that the color banding is gone from the sun and its reflection even on the world map.

I am talking about SDR of course, in HDR the issue was not there anyway.

If you have space on your SSD and want to join the beta testing you can buy a Game Pass for 1 $ and join the testing from the XBox insider app.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

you have space on your SSD and want to join the beta testing you can buy a Game Pass for 1 $ and join the testing from the XBox insider app.

A Steam user buying a One Buck GP to test the beta, I call that playing beyond the call of duty (yes there might be a pun here) 😄

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

how long until the public beta becomes an official hotfix?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 minutes ago, cianpars said:

how long until the public beta becomes an official hotfix?

Nobody knows, it depends on the feedback of the beta testers.

It seems there are still issues with TrackIR so I don't think it will be released very soon.

3 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

A Steam user buying a One Buck GP to test the beta, I call that playing beyond the call of duty (yes there might be a pun here) 😄

You know, I kind of regretted buying the sim on Steam... doing it the other way not only could I enter the beta testing more easily, but I would have given all the money to MS which developed the game.

I am trying to sell my Steam account now, but it's not easy...

6 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

You know, I kind of regretted buying the sim on Steam... doing it the other way not only could I enter the beta testing more easily, but I would have given all the money to MS which developed the game.

Selling a Steam Account is also completely against the Terms you signed up for and will lead to the sold account being locked as soon as someone tries to make a purchase on it.

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

6 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Be careful because, if you ever bought anything on the MS Markeplace using the Steam version of the sim, you'll have to buy it again in case you switch to the MS Version of the sim.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

It seems there are still issues with TrackIR so I don't think it will be released very soon.

No issues here.. TrackIR for me is back to where it was pre SU7.. so it seems are the majority of people on main forums.. only seen one dissenting voice, and they seem to be having the same problem both with and without TrackIR which implies, it's not a TrackIR issue.

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

7 minutes ago, virtuali said:

Be careful because, if you ever bought anything on the MS Markeplace using the Steam version of the sim, you'll have to buy it again in case you switch to the MS Version of the sim.

Andddddd that why I never buy from Marketplace so my two installs can use the same addons, all from one place using addon linker 🙂  I have one installation on Steam, one is straight M/S so I can also participate in testing when they don't allow steam accounts.   Currently my MS install is being funded by a $1 gamepass, so it's only taking up space.. never cash 🙂

Edited by Moria15

Does this mean we can back down the resolution scale? I currently have it set to 130. Hopefully I can bring it back to 100 now if the shimmering/flickering issues have been resolved.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU