Sign in to follow this  
Boeingnut

Horrible FPS

After much adjusting and various rebuilds of my P3d cfg file, I was able to get v5.3 to achieve tolerable frame rates while at the gate (Flightsim Studios CYVR) Night FPS are a much different story; my initial fps before even powering the aircraft have dropped from 24 to 13. This is with a Ryzen 2700x 8 core, running at 4.1ghz. What am I missing? VRAM is at 2.5 ghz so it's not taxing the graphics card at all. Any suggestions?

Are the dynamic lights on?

Those are known to tax FPS heavily at some airports, especially Orbx. 

I have a i7 8700k and GTX 1080 Ti but whenever the dynamic lights are turned on at airports such as Orbx ESSA, Orbx LOWI, my framerates goes from a smooth locked 30 FPS to 9-11 during night... Then gets better as soon as you taxi away from the gates/aprons. 

Try turning it off to check if it makes a difference. If this is not the issue, try to set the road traffic slider to 0 as there is a buh with it on 5.3. 

Check your Scenery.cfg for possible scenery title conflicts as I have found on my system it dropped me from 33, to 12-17 FPS mean average. Got my scenery layering adjusted, and now maintain 27-33 FPS mean average no matter where or what I fly over...

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Check your Scenery.cfg for possible scenery title conflicts as I have found on my system it dropped me from 33, to 12-17 FPS mean average. Got my scenery layering adjusted, and now maintain 27-33 FPS mean average no matter where or what I fly over...

Hi Mitch,

I wonder whether this is more a consequence of using the legacy system whereby scenery entries are added to scenery.cfg as opposed to the newer external ORBX library system encouraged by ORBX Central. In the case of the latter, I’m assuming ORBX Central handles all the priorities automatically when the Sim is Synchronised. Haven’t been in the sim for a while, but I recall that most entries appearing in the scenery library these days are greyed out and can’t be moved...unless you use a utility like Lorby’s Addon Organiser.

Regards,

Mike

5 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Mitch,

I wonder whether this is more a consequence of using the legacy system whereby scenery entries are added to scenery.cfg as opposed to the newer external ORBX library system encouraged by ORBX Central. In the case of the latter, I’m assuming ORBX Central handles all the priorities automatically when the Sim is Synchronised. Haven’t been in the sim for a while, but I recall that most entries appearing in the scenery library these days are greyed out and can’t be moved...unless you use a utility like Lorby’s Addon Organiser.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, I use both entry methods. I have probably 90 percent of my Uber Gb's of 'junk'...lol...entered manually, or by Orbx with install to P3D Folder as chosen.  I had to move some items around...top to bottom, bottom to top, but now...v5.3 is firing on all cylinders...and looks great!  Generating 27-33 FPS with the sim as I have posted...  No complaints.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies. Yes, dynamic lighting has been a pain, but in my previous install (v5.1) I had it configured so fps at the gate were manageable, whereas now in 5.3, I can't seem to find an accommodation- so I may have to disable it, at least at Flightsim studio's airports 😞 As for 'motion blur', I purposely did not enable it because IMO it doesn't add anything worthwhile to my experience. Vehicle traffic is just above 0, so that flying over cities doesn't remind me of " The Last of US". As for the scenery config, I am reluctant to mess with it, because I have royally screwed myself (an the sim) before and had to start all over again. I did manage to squeeze 4 fps more last night. Small step for a man.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Not trying to rub salt into the FPS wounds, but one big immediate benefit I noticed with the nVidia 3090 is that Dynamic Lights enabled with 4XSSAA at 4K resolution have almost zero impact to my FPS.

Cheers, Rob.  

Hey Rob...can I try this with an i7-980 Extreme (4 core) CPU?

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

Edited by Sesquashtoo

42 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Not trying to rub salt into the FPS wounds, but one big immediate benefit I noticed with the nVidia 3090 is that Dynamic Lights enabled with 4XSSAA at 4K resolution have almost zero impact to my FPS.

Cheers, Rob.  

I am running 4xSSAA with an ultrawide resolution 3440x1440 on a GTX 1080ti, and the dynamic lighting has an extreme performance impact.

At better optimized dynamic lighting airports (or the dynamic lighting mods by inibuilds) I can still manage though at an acceptable framerate. It depends on the scenery developer on what kind of technique they have used while implementing the lights.. 

51 minutes ago, Ikarus280 said:

dynamic lighting has an extreme performance impact.

Note that running with SSAA and dynamic lighting severely hampers performance. MSAA with dynamic lighting does not have anywhere near as much as a hit with SSAA.

The lighting themselves isn't too different from airport to airport, as they all run on the same effect method. A large distance between the inner and outer light diameter also requires the GPU to work more, as well as of course, the amount of lights at an airport.

If you can deal with the pixelated screens while using MSAA, then use that instead as it increases performance during night especially.

Edited by arwasairl

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Not the AffinityMask settings, that for 16 cores no SMT/HT (aka my AMD 5950X).  

I'm confused the i7-980X is 6 cores 12 threads ... where did you get 4 core from?

Cheers, Rob.

I guess that I have been wrong in saying 4 all these years, LOL!  Ok...6, add 2 🙂

So, Will adjust to my old AM setting... that I was given years ago...for FSX.

Edited by Sesquashtoo

10 hours ago, arwasairl said:

Note that running with SSAA and dynamic lighting severely hampers performance. MSAA with dynamic lighting does not have anywhere near as much as a hit with SSAA.

The lighting themselves isn't too different from airport to airport, as they all run on the same effect method. A large distance between the inner and outer light diameter also requires the GPU to work more, as well as of course, the amount of lights at an airport.

If you can deal with the pixelated screens while using MSAA, then use that instead as it increases performance during night especially.

Luckily I'm able to mantain a decent 30 FPS locked in almost all situations during the day, without any stutters or blurries. At the airports where legacy lighting is available I use it at night to save performance.

The antialiasing of P3D is very bad, even on a 3400x1440 screen at 8x MSAA which is why I had to up the settings to 4x SSAA. At night it's less noticeable and if the airport is designed well you can lower the AA (some airport has more shimmering than others depending on the texture resolution used, it seems). 

12 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Hey Rob...can I try this with an i7-980 Extreme (4 core) CPU?

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2

Rob...these settings under JobScheduler really work great...and has my FPS banging at the top of my locked 33 FPS

Of course I set the A.M. for a 6 core setting, but didn't change anything else.  A good tip!

• Like 1

Well, just to add to the confusion, ever since we were able to adjust FPS (was it with FS 2002?) I've always locked them at 30. This has been the practise with all sims, up to and including P3d v5.1, with success, yet some stutters while taxiing remained. As a "hail Mary" I changed my fps to unlimited and now, no stutters and guaranteed FPS of 23-30 with no stuttering. IDK; the sim may have MPD...

Here I am showing how the new affinity settings in Prepar3D v5.3 can be used to avoid core sharing that  is reducing performance:

I have assumed a six core 12 thread HT enabled CPU.

in the Red box I have used:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=4095
P3DCoreAffinityMask=4095
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2

SharedCoreReducesPerformance.jpg

in the Green box I have used:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=4053
P3DCoreAffinityMask=4053
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

Core 0 is LP0 and LP1. In the screenshots it can be seen that LP0 and LP1 are both used 100% and 30% so that the real throughput of LP0 which is the main P3D task is only getting around 70% of Core 0 because it is shared with a task of 30%, and that is worse when loading scenery. The result is a rise in fps of 20% at least.

Instead in the Green box I have used AM=4053 which is 11,11,11,01,01,01 Right-most digit is LP0 on core 0. This avoids LP0 ad LP1 sharing the available throughput of core 0.

We could always do that with FSX and P3D versions.

The new features of P3D v5.3 is to enable widening of the affinity mask (AffinityMask=) compared to the cores used (P3DCoreAffinityMask=) to accommodate other processes added in by add-ons, and also to enable placing of the main tasks on LPs we desire (Main, Render and FrameWorker) so that we can direct them onto unshared cores.,

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com