Sign in to follow this  
Boeingnut

Horrible FPS

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve been using GSX for years and don’t have any stuttering issues whatsoever.

Fair enough

I'm leaning to a possible memory leak or memory issue of some kind.  I started a flight yesterday getting about 40 FPS when cold and dark.  Then over the duration of the flight, about an hour, I watched the FPS slowly drop to the high 20s and the amount of system memory go up to 9.2 GB from about 5-6GB.  VRAM stayed pretty stable around 5GB.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

14 hours ago, micstatic said:

Is it A possibility that lm will work with us to repost the previous content and scenery version?. Or just the whole academic zip?  Since I just rebuilt my computer I lose my old installers. So I can get the legacy 5.2 client. But nothing else. Will it cause problems to keep the content and scenery most current but roll back the client?

Hi,

In the download section you also will find older versions too. Check for this text and click for expand.

+ Legacy Client Downloads (click to expand)

Rgds
Reinhard

3 hours ago, Caveney737 said:

Maybe GSX is exacerbating the problem. Just seems strange that I had never had it before using GSX.

Did you not read what he said? People are getting this on vanilla installs, As in, no addons such as GSX installed!! 

Eric 

What I can’t get my head around is if it’s a memory leak or bad BGL why aren’t more, or indeed all of us, experiencing this problem?

I’m not going to speculate but it appears similar to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error that affected many but not all. Who would want to be a developer trying to get to the bottom of this! 🙄

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, aua668 said:

Hi,

In the download section you also will find older versions too. Check for this text and click for expand.

Rgds
Reinhard

Only the client though. Full 5.2 install files no longer available. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

Just now, Rob_Ainscough said:

If you have Orbx Vector installed then one would NOT experience the Helsinki problem because Vector file is used ... that's one reason.

Cheers, Rob.

I don’t have Vector installed Rob. I do have a Helsinki airport but by another developer. I’ll check tomorrow.

Looking at the 5.3 fixes it has these entries:-

• Fixed issues with Charlotte coastline areas.
  • Various scenery fixes in the DC and Hawaii areas.

Has anyone checked those areas?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have vector installed ( just for the coastlines) i also have MK studios Helsinki but not installed , I will install it later and check 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

39 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What I can’t get my head around is if it’s a memory leak or bad BGL why aren’t more, or indeed all of us, experiencing this problem?

I’m not going to speculate but it appears similar to the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error that affected many but not all. Who would want to be a developer trying to get to the bottom of this! 🙄

unlike that one, this actually seems to be affecting just about everybody who updated.  Even the ones who haven't had it happen, I'm not convinced have done enough flights to say they are immune.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 hours ago, Caveney737 said:

IMHO I think this has something to do with GSX or the Couatl Engine. I have never suffered this problem at all since installing 5.3 and both Hot Fixes until now. Everything has been fantastically smooth!!

I haven't used GSX for quite a while until today when I purchased FSDT Euroairport Basel on sale at Simmarket. Unfortunately, it wouldn't install unless GSX was installed in the

simulator so I downloaded and installed GSX and GSXL2 and activated them both. I then loaded the sim into my default airport of EGGP and while stood at the parking position

I started playing with the settings in the GSX menu. Suddenly I noticed the simulator was extremely slow in responding - view changes were taking 4 to 5 seconds as was any 

response to key presses. I looked over at my GPU monitoring software and it showed that my GPU load was 0%, which I have never seen before. The simulator was unusable and the only

way I could cure it was to exit and reload. The next flight so far has been ok, but it just seems too much of a coincidence that I have never seen this problem at all until loading and activating GSX.

I will report if I have any further problems, at which point GSX will be binned again. Do all of you who have this problem use GSX? Just my 2 cents. 😕

Would you mind reverting your GSX prompt menu to Scaleform and performing a few sessions to test?

Modify the missionpanels.cfg in the gauges folder in your
Prepar3D installation directory.
Changing these entries will revert these windows back to the Scaleform version:

[Window12] ; for GSX
change:
html_file = Menu;
html_instance_name = SimConnectWindow;
to:
scaleform_file = menuwindow;
scaleform_instance_name = SimConnectWindow;

If GSX is inducing this it would only be because the GSX prompt menu is a HTML5 window and the HTML5 window is the one causing the subsequent performance loss/pauses. 

HTML5 menus/windows introduced some serious pauses/freezes in V5.2.

Although LM believes to have fixed this in v5.2 HF1 they nevertheless disabled HTML5 by default in the Prepar3D.cfg as of v5.2 HF1 (out of an abundance of caution). 

However, I believe that the GSX menu prompt is nevertheless being rendered in a HTML5 window (can anyone confirm this?)

If this is a HTML5 bug then reverting GSX to the Scaleform window will help us confirm wether that is the case or not. 

And yes, I am aware that this bug has also occurred with a vanilla V5.3 HF1 (I experienced it myself). 

5 minutes ago, PinkPony said:

Would you mind reverting your GSX prompt menu to Scaleform and performing a few sessions to test?

Modify the missionpanels.cfg in the gauges folder in your
Prepar3D installation directory.
Changing these entries will revert these windows back to the Scaleform version:

[Window12] ; for GSX
change:
html_file = Menu;
html_instance_name = SimConnectWindow;
to:
scaleform_file = menuwindow;
scaleform_instance_name = SimConnectWindow;

If GSX is inducing this it would only be because the GSX prompt menu is a HTML5 window and the HTML5 window is the one causing the subsequent performance loss/pauses. 

HTML5 menus/windows introduced some serious pauses/freezes in V5.2.

Although LM believes to have fixed this in v5.2 HF1 they nevertheless disabled HTML5 by default in the Prepar3D.cfg as of v5.2 HF1 (out of an abundance of caution). 

However, I believe that the GSX menu prompt is nevertheless being rendered in a HTML5 window (can anyone confirm this?)

If this is a HTML5 bug then reverting GSX to the Scaleform window will help us confirm wether that is the case or not. 

And yes, I am aware that this bug has also occurred with a vanilla V5.3 HF1 (I experienced it myself). 

I tried this scaleform revision thinking html5 might be the cause but alas, still got the stuttering issue with it. 

Eric 

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t have Vector installed Rob. I do have a Helsinki airport but by another developer. I’ll check tomorrow.

Those I believe were water mask fixes. Before it looked like light blue tropical water off the coast and clearly that was inaccurate. It still looks like that between Jacksonville and Daytona. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

39 minutes ago, micstatic said:

unlike that one, this actually seems to be affecting just about everybody who updated.  Even the ones who haven't had it happen, I'm not convinced have done enough flights to say they are immune.  

I have flown pretty much every day since the latest update. I even tried a couple of long (for me) flights of 4-hour + but still no stuttering like those described here.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I have flown pretty much every day since the latest update. I even tried a couple of long (for me) flights of 4-hour + but still no stuttering like those described here.

you are one of the lucky ones.  I feel like the VAST majority of the time the device hung errors were poor settings combined with a card not high in VRAM.  This seems like a total different kettle of fish.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I find this interesting, since the other day, I was starting a flight at FSDT Charlotte in the PMDG 737-800.  Frames were rock solid at 30.  I went through my preflight, and when I was getting ready to pushback after about 30 minutes, the frames were down to 2-5.  Saved the state, exited the sim and restarted and back to 30 fps, and was able to complete the flight to TJSJ with no issues.  The only other time I have encountered this was on a flight from KMCO-KHOU.  As I crossed the coast line from the Gulf of Mexico going into Louisiana, the pauses and degraded frames set in.  Restarted from an autosave and was able to complete the flight to Houston with no problem.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant