Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Based on past history, will XP11 addons work with XP12?

There may not be an answer to this question, but any thoughts on this are welcome.

I've talked to a few developers who told me the port will probably be seamless...

Yet, I have my doubts when it comes to aircraft because AFAIK Austin wroto from scratch his flight dynamics code, to the point of sometimes when we interact with him on some subjects he even pointing out that he can't check because he no longer has the original code...

To me it looks like the preferred situation for many would be a solution where in terms of FM the old Experimental FM could still be used, the old Legacy FM would be OFF, and developers should adapt to the new model, surely even more detailled and powerful than before.

I am really holding my breath for X-Plane 12 ! Something tells me it'll become my preferred uninstall in the future !!!

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Scenery and Aircrafts with their systems should work. Aircrafts will need Flight Model changes as Xplane12 is getting a new one while Austin was working with BETA but it should not prevent them from "working", LR said they'll provide a checklist for developers to re-calibrate the flight model.

Plugins that won't work IIRC are 3d drawing related, so weather/clouds/atmosphere plugins should be obsolete.

• Like 1

I'm not too worried about xlua-driven aircraft, free or payware, but anything breaking current release SASL-driven aircraft will make a lot of XP12 users angry. This may be remedied by a product update from the devs, but there's enough unsupported payware abandonware around (hello, Carenado).

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

8 hours ago, Bjoern said:

but anything breaking current release SASL-driven aircraft will make a lot of XP12 users angry

^^^ OTOH, what he said, there really is only so much lip service that should be given to abandonware and older technologies, and XP11 isnt going anywhere.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

10 hours ago, mSparks said:

^^^ OTOH, what he said, there really is only so much lip service that should be given to abandonware and older technologies, and XP11 isnt going anywhere.

Well, technically the user does not have a right to product updates, but at least a compatibility patch, if needed, would be a nice gesture from any developer. Any new major updated release of a product is going to be payware anyway.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

4 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Well, technically the user does not have a right to product updates,

Todays Daily challenge

Tell that to these users without starting a flame war

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pmdg-dc-6-major-problem-on-xbox/475320

Triple internet points if you can do so while also throwing in a reference to "Global Shipping".

I do not expect anything quite that bad, but no way it goes without a hitch, there will be many words developers use to describe computers for sure, for at least the next 6 months until XP12.0 final is released, probably also for a long while after that.

AutoATC Developer

It probably doesn´t help that a good portion of those people reporting problems with the DC-6 would have trouble operating a toaster unsupervised  - let alone a faithfully replicated DC-6 😄

Edited by Janov