Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

W11 and bad SSD performance …

Moderator, hopefully this thread is allowed to stay here as many just install W11 and not go to  the subforum :

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

32 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Moderator, hopefully this thread is allowed to stay here as many just install W11 and not go to  the subforum :

That's the price of "security". I was mentioning it this morning:

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

As a purely lay person to computing, as far as software goes I have upgraded to Windows 11 and  have been running it for a several weeks. I have not noticed any difference to performance at all.  Apart from a different home screen I could still be using Windows 10. I have stayed away from DX12 as I seem to remember FBW team advised against it.

I must add that I am using a conventional HDD. Perhaps this only affects SSDs?

Edited by Andy675

This weekend I am going to install Windows after adding my new hardware. Windows has to be installed on a M2 and not in Legacy mode.

Till I read this I absolutely wanted W11. Now I am in doubt. How long will it take till performance will be like W10 ?…

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I think one random post on Reddit does not make it a fact! I too have noticed no difference whatsoever in performance when moving from 10 to 11 but if you are nervous then don't install Windows 11. Simple. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 6297J said:

I think one random post on Reddit does not make it a fact! I too have noticed no difference whatsoever in performance when moving from 10 to 11 but if you are nervous then don't install Windows 11. Simple. 

Did you do a SSD performance test on both W10 and W11 to see if there is a difference or does your Windows feel that it is working fine… ?

If you read the entire thread you will see that many are experiencing this.

A lower SSD performance may still be more than enough for daily pc use including MSFS..

Edited by GSalden

11 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Did you do a SSD performance test on both W10 and W11 to see if there is a difference or does your Windows feel that it is working fine… ?

A lower SSD performance may still be more than enough for daily pc use including MSFS..

No, I did not perform any tests to see if my SSD was performing 2% better or 3% worse than it was before switching to Windows 11. As I said, I did not notice any difference which is good enough for me. 

Edited by 6297J

3 minutes ago, 6297J said:

No, I did not perform any tests to see if my SSD was performing 2% better or 3% worse than it was before switching to Windows 11. As I said, I did not notice any difference which is good enough for me. 

Then be happy with what you have. We are not talking about 2-3% here.

Myself I want to know exactly what is going on, but that is just me.

Edited by GSalden
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GSalden said:

Then be happy with what you have. We are not talking about 2-3% here.

Myself I want to know exactly what is going on, but that is just me.

Maybe look at some serious hardware forums as well as Reddit 😉

This reminds me of the dangers of reading medical dictionaries, you will discover you have all the ailments under the sun.😊. Don't do bench tests just be happy with what you have.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GSalden said:

This weekend I am going to install Windows after adding my new hardware. Windows has to be installed on a M2 and not in Legacy mode.

Till I read this I absolutely wanted W11. Now I am in doubt. How long will it take till performance will be like W10 ?…

I cant really help G, but I will say that in my experience with Windows 10 loaded on an M2 and with my rig, as per sig, it starts like a Ferrari. I mean 22 seconds from push button to splash screen. Now I keep my OS's pretty vanilla and try to keep the M2 sacred to OS. So, if I go to W11 I don't imagine and I certainly hope it doesn't cripple any performance I have at the moment. I know the Windows start doesn't tell the whole story but it sure is a clue to how fast the OS is processing instructions through that much wider bus.  Given some of the fairly underpowered rigs that some people have out there and the fact that they still run MSFS on ultra or near ultra, I wouldn't think W11 would make much difference to MSFS on an M2.

As I say, I cant really be of much help but I guess I'm just saying that I know you have a pretty nice home cockpit, (you're lucky I live on the bottom of our planet or I'd be sleeping on your doorstep hoping for a flying invite 🙃), and you must need some impressive computing power such that even minor changes might have a disproportionate effect on performance. Perhaps an upgrade to M2 from your SSD might be in order, not because MSFS needs it but because your specific use of the software needs it? 

Cheers

Terry 

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

I have Windows 11 and 2 x NVME drives.  I haven't noticed any difference (in Windows, MSFS, or any other application), but I will test later. 
My two drives are Samsung, and I know they hit the quoted speeds (just about) after testing in W10 originally.
It will be interesting to see when I run the tests again later.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I have Windows 11 and 2 x NVME drives.  I haven't noticed any difference (in Windows, MSFS, or any other application), but I will test later. 
My two drives are Samsung, and I know they hit the quoted speeds (just about) after testing in W10 originally.
It will be interesting to see when I run the tests again later.

You don't notice any difference because normally you don't write huge streams of data into SSDs. If you worked on the elaboration of very large graphics and video files, you would notice it.

A fresh Windows 11 installation can even be perceived faster than an old Windows 10 installation with a lot of orphan stuff and a huge registry 🙂

The same applies to the CPU: 5% performance hit means a couple of fps in MSFS for your 8086K and in desktop / office operations the difference cannot even be perceived. 

Nevertheless, the important question is: why would you sustain any performance hit without obtaining anything positive in return? No new features, lower performance, context menus that do not show all the options immediately, and a severely crippled taskbar, which was the main reason why I personally rolled back to Win10: it had become a nightmare to work for me because I drag & drop items on taskbar applications all the time. Once I understood that this was a "feature" and not a bug, I didn't think twice and returned to Windows 10.

You may disable VBS and still have a performance hit, and the crippled taskbar.

https://www.techspot.com/article/2349-windows-11-performance/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

58 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

I cant really help G, but I will say that in my experience with Windows 10 loaded on an M2 and with my rig, as per sig, it starts like a Ferrari. I mean 22 seconds from push button to splash screen. Now I keep my OS's pretty vanilla and try to keep the M2 sacred to OS. So, if I go to W11 I don't imagine and I certainly hope it doesn't cripple any performance I have at the moment. I know the Windows start doesn't tell the whole story but it sure is a clue to how fast the OS is processing instructions through that much wider bus.  Given some of the fairly underpowered rigs that some people have out there and the fact that they still run MSFS on ultra or near ultra, I wouldn't think W11 would make much difference to MSFS on an M2.

As I say, I cant really be of much help but I guess I'm just saying that I know you have a pretty nice home cockpit, (you're lucky I live on the bottom of our planet or I'd be sleeping on your doorstep hoping for a flying invite 🙃), and you must need some impressive computing power such that even minor changes might have a disproportionate effect on performance. Perhaps an upgrade to M2 from your SSD might be in order, not because MSFS needs it but because your specific use of the software needs it? 

Cheers

Terry 

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your post.

Both my front view server as my left view client have 2 M2 installed. One 2 Tb and the other 1 Tb. My left view pc starts up within 20 sec to the desktop.

The server needs almost a minute because of multiple USB hubs that are connected to it ( cockpit hardware )…

regards, Gerard