Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

There's no reason not to jump into the beta IMHO

What Asobo/MS says is if your installation is not in the default position, then there is little worry of having to redownload everthing at the next SU. I would think about the same worry as if you do nothing and just wait for the next SU. (There's always a chance for everybody of a complete reinstall with each and every SU or WU, just not a very big chance).

Changing from default to custom position on the drive is the easiest thing in world. Cut and paste the Community and Official folders (the whole folders not just the contents of the folders) to a new location such as C:\MSFS or whatever you want to name it, it doesn't have to be named MSFS.

If you copy and paste instead of cut and paste then it could take a miserable hour. But if you cut and paste then it will only take a few seconds because you are not actually moving the file, you are just changing the path to those 2 folders (unless you are changing it to a different physical drive).

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

And then when you boot up MSFS, at the checking for update screen it will pause, and just browse in the box to the new location, such as C:\MSFS. And it proceeds to load MSFS as normal. You only have to do that browsing once.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, crimplene said:

A re-download of the "Official" folder is never neccessary when re-installing the game. If you have your Community and Official folders in a custom location you can always easily keep it when uninstalling or reinstalling the game.

Ooooh, I didn’t know that you can move the community and official folders to other drives than the main install.

I’m using addon linker so could I just drag the official folder to another drive?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Ooooh, I didn’t know that you can move the community and official folders to other drives than the main install.

I’m using addon linker so could I just drag the official folder to another drive?

See above what Fielder writes. Super easy to change the location of the Official folder.

• Like 1

Super easy to install in Steam, just tick the beta option and the download starts.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

40 minutes ago, crimplene said:

See above what Fielder writes. Super easy to change the location of the Official folder.

Cheers, totally missed that the answer was right under my nose while typing…

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

Changing from default to custom position on the drive is the easiest thing in world. Cut and paste the Community and Official folders (the whole folders not just the contents of the folders) to a new location such as C:\MSFS or whatever you want to name it, it doesn't have to be named MSFS.

Does transferring the official folder to another drive cause any installation problems? I’m trying to keep the main installation on my C drive (SSD), but offload as much onto my D drive (HD) as possible. Already have the community folder contents on D linked to the C installation with addon linker.

edit; I’m not really worried about the time it might take to do this.

Edited by scotchegg

55 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Does transferring the official folder to another drive cause any installation problems? I’m trying to keep the main installation on my C drive (SSD), but offload as much onto my D drive (HD) as possible. Already have the community folder contents on D linked to the C installation with addon linker

If you read carefully, you will see that the Official and Community folders move/stay together, for this to work..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

8 hours ago, Nyxx said:

This sounds like a turning point for MSFS PC users. Its sounds like we would all press the "keep this version" if we could. 

But it could be a turning point that next year we get great updates with no....well you know what!!!!

Yeah but you know why we've had these problems right? It's because they have hard release dates and 15 different teams and 32 branches and they try and crunch it all together at the last second with an inexperienced QA team and it all turns to jelly.

At least with this hotfix the community is getting a decent stab at testing and there is no release date pressure.

I'd like to see less promises and a bigger window for the release. I'd like to see earlier access for the beta and of course Asobo building out there QA teams with proper flight experience.

Hey I guess I'd like a lot but it is nearly Christmas so, heres hoping Santa delivers!

Edited by dtrjones

5 hours ago, jer2929 said:

Not really..performance during landing is always 40-50% worse performance than taking off...that's never been fixed and still isn't.

This is something i experienced a lot in X-plane, specially when i was flying big boys like the flight factor a320, but there where users that didnt have this problem...and i dont have it now with MSFS, i guess it depends a lot on your system and what you fly, this is one of those that is a pain in the rear.

• Like 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

9 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Yeah but you know why we've had these problems right? It's because they have hard release dates and 15 different teams and 32 branches and they try and crunch it all together at the last second with an inexperienced QA team and it all turns to jelly.

At least with this hotfix the community is getting a decent stab at testing and there is no release date pressure.

I'd like to see less promises and a bigger window for the release. I'd like to see earlier access for the beta and of course Asobo building out there QA teams with proper flight experience.

Hey I guess I'd like a lot but it is nearly Christmas so, heres hoping Santa delivers!

Hopefully this is the start of more public betas in the future. As long as they don't include any sim changes with World Updates they can keep pumping those out as fast as they want! 

• Like 2

Former Child, Current Adult

8 hours ago, rutra said:

Where is exp ver?

6 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

I wonder where you get the experimental version as it does no longer show up in my installer….only stabel and dev version are there.—

Yes, it is not available via their installer.  I download the experimental version from their website:  click on "Learn More," then link near bottom.  Experimental version worked for me in the SU 7 beta hotfix.  Double checked files, build date 12/9.   However, if you're learning the airplane, best to use developmental version.     

2 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Does transferring the official folder to another drive cause any installation problems? I’m trying to keep the main installation on my C drive (SSD), but offload as much onto my D drive (HD) as possible. Already have the community folder contents on D linked to the C installation with addon linker.

edit; I’m not really worried about the time it might take to do this.

Doesn't cause any installation nor update problems at all to move both community and official to the D drive. Without links on either. But HDD is probably slower performance than SDD. Could make for very slow starting up MSFS.

I really want to install the STEAM beta as I have been hearing some really good things but I don't want to mess up my installation and have to reinstall when the update officially comes out...Thoughts?

My Community & official folder are on my D drive and NOT my C/Windows drive. Is that fine?

• Like 1

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I and others have a issue with the CRJ and the latest beta. On load the screens and EFB are blank. Restarting the flight solves it but something isn't right.