Sign in to follow this  
Bt103504

Aircraft Lighting Improvements?

I know this is a fairly niche inquiry but is anyone aware or heard anything about plans to improve the aircraft lighting. I'm a GA flyer mostly and the aircraft lighting (strobes and beacons specifically) are erm.... underwhelming to say the least. Almost impossible to see and incredibly faint anytime that is not nighttime. I think back how to A2A's Shockwave lights addon basically transformed the look and feel of aircraft lighting in FSX and I guess just miss that level of impressiveness, relatively speaking.

Don't get me wrong I think Asobo nailed the beacons on the tubeliners. Does anyone recall hearing anything in any of the dev Q&A sessions about the aircraft lighting? Are the effects that are implemented currently just placeholders? It was only recently that we got ground/water effects so I assume that's the case but was curious what other people's thoughts were on this topic?

p.s. I know there's a couple "lighting" mods out there on other sites but I haven't noticed those improving anything except for at night time.   

• Like 3

You are right.  The beacons look really good, but the strobes are poor.  Carenado in particular had the strobes right on their aircraft in FSX and P3D, but they look dim in comparison on the same aircraft is MSFS.  I heard it was another sim limitation on the effects side of things.  Probably not a priority, as Asobo have their hands full at the moment.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I have posted several topics regarding this issue as well. The aircraft lights, especially when seen at a certain distance appears as blocks of squares (red, white, green). They have no realistic look to them at all. On my display, they resemble an oversized dead pixel. Here's a topic regarding the aircraft lights. Please offer your input and vote it up.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/square-looking-navigation-and-strobe-lights-on-ai-planes/443009

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Agreed, I also think the Taxi & Landing Lights could stand some increase in intensity. I struggle to see the runway on landing in night flights. Seems like they only illuminate about 10' in front of the aircraft. 

• Like 2

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Could always try these.....

https://uwajimaya.github.io/FS2020/

PC6_lights.jpg

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5