Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Musk 10, Environment 0

12 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The fun starts when you realise you don't have a quarter. In my case (No Frills in Toronto), the shopping cart requires a dollar coin.

£1 in the UK. You whack a quid coin in. Then get it back when you return your trolley.

No charging for trolleys in Guernsey. You use it then return it. But then unlike the UK, you don't find the trolleys dumped in canals and scattered around the place.

We don't have a single person living on the streets. The authorities here do a very good job looking after them and finding them a place to stay. The money I used to hand to the homeless is now handed to young musicians on the street trying to earn a few pennies.

Parking is also free. Many places have parking zones but you just set your time on the cardboard clock and return within the allotted time, often 12 hours. 

Edited by martin-w

On 12/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, W2DR said:

Even his ex-girlfriend says he's pathetic

And a former Mission Integration Engineer at SpaceX says he's a hypocrite. I believe her. Read:  At SpaceX, we're told we can change the world. I couldn't, however, stop getting sexually harassed. (lioness.co) The benevolent billionaire theory is in search of a practice. I sincerely believe that journalism had nothing to do with this award. Time's person of the year is perhaps once again as was the case in 1938; the greatest looser of this century. 

Laid-off Tesla workers lavish 'unprecedented' praise on Elon Musk and his vision as they walk out the door

https://financialpost.com/transportation/autos/laid-off-tesla-workers-lavish-unprecedented-praise-on-elon-musk-and-his-vision-as-they-walk-out-the-door

Come on people, understand how the media works. Understand that when you employ thousands of people some of them will have good things to say about you and some will have bad things to say about you. 

the greatest looser of this century. 

As opposed to tighter? 

Don't be manipulated by a media that can't wait to encourage anti-Musk sentiment and no doubt reward those who feed their agenda. Musk has made it absolutely clear how much he dislikes the media, literally from day one, and the price he pays for that is the media dragging up everything they can find  and encouraging anyone they can find to hit back. Then we have the fossil fuel industry too of course, who's product is threated by Musks's product. 

You will find criticism in the media of Branson, Musk, Bezos and pretty much every billionaire and millionaire entrepreneur on the planet. 

I think its going to be a bit silly if this thread's purpose is to attack Must with "his girlfriend doesn't like him" and "he's a hypocrite".  

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

And no its not an extravagance, its as valuable technology.

I think it's just the "going to Mars" bit that bothers some folks. I wonder how the cost of colonising Mars would compare with the cost of developing an effective anti-asteroid defence system.

Dugald Walker

17 hours ago, birdguy said:

I never heard of that.  When I go to the super market I usually just pick up a cart in the parking lot.  But I never heard of renting a shopping cart for a quarter.

It is not a "rental," it's a "deposit" used to control the carts. The "deposit" is returned to you once the cart has been returned to the corral. The front wheels also have an "RF sensor" that will lock the wheels if one attempts to steal the cart when it crosses an invisible border around Aldi's property.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It was the same with pretty much all super markets in Spain and France.  Usually a 1 Euro coin for deposit!

IMG_8752-768x1024.jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

14 minutes ago, n4gix said:

The front wheels also have an "RF sensor" that will lock the wheels if one attempts to steal the cart when it crosses an invisible border around Aldi's property.

I used to see pickup trucks collecting wayward carts up to a mile away from the supermarket.

Dugald Walker

34 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

I think it's just the "going to Mars" bit that bothers some folks. 

Which is also a valuable technology. Spaceship's development isn't just designed to go to Mars, its designed to go to Mars, the Moon, other locations in the solar system and act as a very heavy lift vehicle to get all manner of payloads into orbit much cheaper and cleaner than anything before. And the technologies developed to do that spill over into other applications.  

And as mentioned, currently its NASA that are employing SpaceX to get astronauts to the Moon and ultimately Mars, so if people aren't happy about that then their angst should be directed at the US government, not Musk. 

23 minutes ago, charliearon said:

It was the same with pretty much all super markets in Spain and France.  Usually a 1 Euro coin for deposit!

Identical to UK, minus the Star Trek style sensors that phaser you if you take it beyond the supermarkets property. 

• Like 1

With a brand new colony in place and the new Martians breeding like rabbits, might there be some form of public transit connecting the various structures, or would everyone get their own freestanding home and drive around in Mars rovers? Also if some sector had a sudden viral outbreak, would Elon take any steps to protect his fragile domicile? Or would he just say let it rip, based on current trends, probably zero new cases within a few weeks. 

44 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

I wonder how the cost of colonising Mars would compare with the cost of developing an effective anti-asteroid defence system.

You mean in terms of avoiding the existential threat of a planet killing asteroid? Good question.

One cat point allocated: 😺

I would imagine a system that's capable of zapping, deflecting or otherwise mitigating a planet killing asteroid would be horrendously expensive. Currently we aren't quite sure what the ideal mechanism to do that would be, although their are lots of ideas for the smaller ones. Detection of such threats is an issue too, because currently we miss them when they come from the direction of the sun. In fact one whizzed past Earth a month or so ago and we have no idea it was coming. If that had been a big boy we would have had no chance. 

So you would need very sophisticated detection methods that could detect them far enough away to deploy our mitigation strategies. Worth remembering that we need lots of time to gently change Mt Rock's direction, we can't give them enormous shove at the last minute. NEO Surveyor is launching in 2026 that will help in that respect. 

So yes, we are getting better at detecting the baby ones (except when they come from the direction of the sun) but the scary guys are a whole different proposition if we want to encourage them on a different path.

And planet killing rocks aren't the only existential threat of course, just one of many. And there are probably many "great filters" we are yet to be aware of. Common sense would dictate that becoming multiplanetary is a good idea and common sense would dictate that developing some kind of asteroid mitigation technology is a good idea.

In fact the first ever asteroid defection Maison has already been launched. 

DART is targeting a near-Earth double asteroid known as Didymos and Dimorphos, with the latter being a "moonlet" estimated to be about 160 metres in size - a good test object, but not one that is actually expected to collide with Earth.

Roughly the size of a small car, the spacecraft has been developed by NASA and the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory to demonstrate for the first time the "kinetic impactor technology" using a direct hit on an asteroid to adjust its speed and path.

https://news.sky.com/story/nasa-launches-first-ever-asteroid-deflection-mission-12476454

So this is a baby asteroid. Now imagine what would be required to deflect a ginormous planet killing monster travelling at 20 kilometres per second with the impact energy of 921 billion Hiroshima bombs. 100 million times the energy released by the Russian Tsar Bomb! That was what the Erath experienced when the Chicxulub crater was formed. 😲

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

https://financialpost.com/transportation/autos/laid-off-tesla-workers-lavish-unprecedented-praise-on-elon-musk-and-his-vision-as-they-walk-out-the-door

Come on people, understand how the media works. Understand that when you employ thousands of people some of them will have good things to say about you and some will have bad things to say about you. 

As opposed to tighter? 

Don't be manipulated by a media that can't wait to encourage anti-Musk sentiment and no doubt reward those who feed their agenda. Musk has made it absolutely clear how much he dislikes the media, literally from day one, and the price he pays for that is the media dragging up everything they can find  and encouraging anyone they can find to hit back. Then we have the fossil fuel industry too of course, who's product is threated by Musks's product. 

You will find criticism in the media of Branson, Musk, Bezos and pretty much every billionaire and millionaire entrepreneur on the planet. 

I think its going to be a bit silly if this thread's purpose is to attack Must with "his girlfriend doesn't like him" and "he's a hypocrite".  

The CEO of Salesforce.com  Marc Benioff is heavily invested in SpaceX. Benioff also owns Time ( the magazine). Anything that`s good for Musk is good for Benioff. Had Benioff bet his money on Blue Origin, the survey says that Bezos would have made the cover. Had Benioff bet his money on Purina dog food; Lassie would be on the cover. 

Go ahead: urge me again to not be manipulated by the media...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Antipodeslonghaul said:

With a brand new colony in place and the new Martians breeding like rabbits, might there be some form of public transit connecting the various structures, or would everyone get their own freestanding home and drive around in Mars rovers?

😁 I would guess with limited space population would need to be controlled. All manner of technologies could be used to get around inside the domes and between domes. Interestingly, inside a dome at atmospheric pressure, you could actually fly around with wings strapped to your back powered by your muscles. Because the gravity is low.

Also if some sector had a sudden viral outbreak, would Elon take any steps to protect his fragile domicile? Or would he just say let it rip, based on current trends, probably zero new cases within a few weeks. 

Elon wont be going. He'll be dead by then. And its not his domicile. He's just perfecting the tech to get us there and the Moon and orbit cheaper and cleaner. 

4 minutes ago, CYXR said:

Had Benioff bet his money on Blue Origin, the survey says that Bezos would have made the cover. Had Benioff bet his money on Purina dog food; Lassie would be on the cover

Who cares who's on the front of Time magazine? I think a cat should be on the front cover. 😺

17 minutes ago, martin-w said:

One cat point allocated: 😺

Thanks for the cat point - my very first. I shall treasure it always.

23 minutes ago, martin-w said:

In fact the first ever asteroid defection Maison has already been launched. 

Assuming it is successful, II wonder how they would scale that up to deflect a planet-killer. It wouldn't just be to use a bigger spacecraft but maybe a combination of bigger and faster.

Dugald Walker