Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Can someone help me get my mouse free look set up

So apparently, getting free look in the cockpit to function as I want it, is the proving difficult. 

- Pre-SU6 (I think it was?) I was using middle-click on the mouse. One click, I was in free look, could zoom, do what I needed and then mid-click to use my POV axis again. I used Mouse 4 + Mouse Wheel to zoom, so I didn't accidentally zoom when turning dials with mouse wheel. Worked great. 

- Post-SU6 they did something, so every time you went out of free-look, it would unzoom. So if I zoomed in on the FMS to type something in and mid-clicked to get my mouse cursor, it would just zoom back out. I decided to use hold right-click to look around, that worked.

- SU7 dropped and again, they messed with something. Now, when I go into axis mode for the POV hat on my VKB Gladiator NXT, the right-click free look does not work with the mouse. I need to go out of Axis mode and manually bind the non-axis version of my POV hate to each direction, which is a MUCH jankier version than the axis version.

Felt awful but it sort-of worked... Now I signed up the beta on steam because I was desperate for a fix for all the other things and HEY! it has regressed again

- Now when I use my Mouse 4 + Mouse Wheel, it instantly goes to full zoom / unzoom when I hit mouse 4, meaning now I can't even do a modifier bound zoom to stop the accidental zooms.

And yes, I deleted my profile and went to default profile multiple times.

I can feel my blood pressure rising that I need to spend so much time and having Asobo undo it every patch. Can someone look at these symptoms and tell me if there's a fix for it, a setting that is messing with me, something I overlooked? 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I'm following this with interest. Yes. They changed something and you've done a good job describing it.

It has greatly reduced my will to fly MSFS as it is now just too frustrating to deal with.

I could, in previous iterations, middle click to change to free look. Now, it will sometimes work, sometimes center my view and sometimes zoom in on part of the panel. Sometimes the maddening white dot will appear and sometime not. Sometimes I can't change back to fixed view because each time I enter free look the white dot (sometimes visible) has to be in view to stop free look.

In the grand ol' past, I could use free look to 'look' at a part of the VC I need to manipulate and then stop free look and manipulate buttons/dials/knobs [oh my] and then switch back to free look. No longer. I can barely describe it, much less fix it. There's nothing mapped to middle mouse except toggle free look, yet more is happening and I can't find anything else in the configuration screens. Go P3D!

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Yes they did change it over time as you describe.

I think it was perfect up until SU5 or 6.

Now it wants to unzoom or whatever and it's not good.  I had to change a bunch of my view presets.  Ugh.

I'm not sure why that had to change but they did change it.  At some point they ought to nail down certain core parts of the sim, like the views/camera system.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

MS/Asobo acknowledged this but it's not clear if it will be fixed soon or it's considered low priority:

We understand this is an issue, and it is logged in our system. However, it is not a part of this testing build.  

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/middle-mouse-button-resets-view/479348

Personally I removed the freelook binding because it caused freezing* when using "next pilot position", which is more important for me.

*Another bug they know: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/next-pilot-position-still-makes-the-sim-freeze/479722

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I hold right mouse button to freelook (using default mouse button assignments), it works pretty well, with the one minor annoyance that controller input doesn't register while holding the button.

EDIT: Oops, should have read your post more closely Sethos, sorry. I don't have that issue because my POV hat doesn't have axis mode.

Edited by Penz

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Just wanted to provide an update on my POV axis issue. It seems in recent updates, they've tried to fix 'multiple input overlapping and going crazy' thing they had going by simply killing the other input that moves simultaneously. So I tried adding a tiny deadzone to the POV axis and that solved it. Now both inputs work again, in case anyone experiences it.

Unfortunately, still unable to bind a multi-key zoom without it just going to max zoom the second I press it. So having to struggle through awful mouse wheel only zoom. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I'm having the same issue and can't find any answers.  My biggest hope that chase plane comes to FS2020 the sooner the better.  Whoever came up with the camera operation on this sim must've have been on acid.  I've been out of the sim for a few months, prior to, I hade everything working ok, now I had to reset everything up again and every time there is an update, settings change again.

I'm retired, but I don't have all the time in the world to spend a great amount of time to fix things in order to do an hour flight!

Gnacino

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, Sethos said:

So apparently, getting free look in the cockpit to function as I want it, is the proving difficult. 

- Pre-SU6 (I think it was?) I was using middle-click on the mouse. One click, I was in free look, could zoom, do what I needed and then mid-click to use my POV axis again. I used Mouse 4 + Mouse Wheel to zoom, so I didn't accidentally zoom when turning dials with mouse wheel. Worked great. 

- Post-SU6 they did something, so every time you went out of free-look, it would unzoom. So if I zoomed in on the FMS to type something in and mid-clicked to get my mouse cursor, it would just zoom back out. I decided to use hold right-click to look around, that worked.

- SU7 dropped and again, they messed with something. Now, when I go into axis mode for the POV hat on my VKB Gladiator NXT, the right-click free look does not work with the mouse. I need to go out of Axis mode and manually bind the non-axis version of my POV hate to each direction, which is a MUCH jankier version than the axis version.

Felt awful but it sort-of worked... Now I signed up the beta on steam because I was desperate for a fix for all the other things and HEY! it has regressed again

- Now when I use my Mouse 4 + Mouse Wheel, it instantly goes to full zoom / unzoom when I hit mouse 4, meaning now I can't even do a modifier bound zoom to stop the accidental zooms.

And yes, I deleted my profile and went to default profile multiple times.

I can feel my blood pressure rising that I need to spend so much time and having Asobo undo it every patch. Can someone look at these symptoms and tell me if there's a fix for it, a setting that is messing with me, something I overlooked? 

If you want to use free lock whilst holding down (and only whilst holding down) the mouse centre, then see my post half way down here to see how I fixed it after SU7 had broken it...

Regards

On 12/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, RichieFly said:

There's nothing mapped to middle mouse except toggle free look, yet more is happening and I can't find anything else in the configuration screens. Go P3D!

LOL... It took me forever to get my keyboard and mouse set up and I'm still working on it. I had to laugh at myself because I was looking for something along the lines of 'move view left'. I searched for about 20 minutes looking for that setting. I kept seeing "translate view left", thinking what the heck does translating a view do anyway?, and skipping right over it. The entire time I was thinking that right after I find the option to move the view left, I am going to get on Google and find out what "translating" a view is. Imagine my surprise... Must be some sort of French humor. 

3 hours ago, Gnacino said:

Whoever came up with the camera operation on this sim must've have been on acid. 

YES!  Lots of it.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440