Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

MSFS2020 just started hanging on the "Fly" Screen

It could also hang because of the display driver.  If you have the latest, roll back and you should be good.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Another with the hang about 2/3 through when selecting Fly.  Does it on the Steam and Xbox app versions (have both).  Been doing this for 2 or 3 days now.  All folders empty and does it for both the beta and non-beta releases.

Thanks for all of your help and input folks I really appreciate it. Nothing I tried worked thus far. 

I think that Microsoft got a little ahead of themselves with the premature (IMHO) release of the product labeled to the market as a "GAME.(online)"  They leveraged their existing infrastructure used for their games but not enough thought into the potential issues associated with logins ID (Game Pass; Purchase ID, PC ID); client (PC) to cloud interaction, and the potential of things being out of sync. I think things will get better (one can only hope) as they learn more of the issues that customers are experiencing. They currently have "boiler plate" procedures, which is somewhat of a hit and miss for the most part, to address what seems to be a common issue (hanging before you get to launch a flight). There are lots of individuals experiencing this issue (like myself) and the procedures aren't working🙂. To be honest I actually like the actual Flight Sim product when I had it flying, and will be the best as mods to improve the product are released and the add-on begin to pour in (PMDG, QW, other scenery etc). I am head of a technology dept of a fairly big company so I know a little about IT😀 and was one of the big initial users of MS Azure.

Anyway, enough of my background which is meaningless since I can't even get my MSFS 2020 to work again🤣.

Last night I tired the "Reset" option (via Apps & Features) from Windows Settings which obviously didn't work. Just as a note, that option reloads all of the packages so the length of the process is exactly the same as a new install. 6 1/2 hours for me. If I knew that, I would have done an uninstall and then a fresh install. That would be my next step which will have to be next weekend since due to work schedule I can't do it during the week. Before I do that I am going to try and get MS Help to assist by taking a look at my files in the cloud to determine if there is anything wrong that can be corrected. Will try. Lots of individuals have tried a clean install and it still hasn't addressed the issue.

Will keep all posted and will share any information I hear and or end up trying that can help resolve the issue.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Forshaw. 

• Like 2

Since you work in IT, have you tried using Process Monitor (ProcMon) to see what's happening when you try and load a flight?.  A very useful tool for peeking under the hood.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

Regards, Kendall

2 hours ago, forshaw said:

Lots of individuals have tried a clean install and it still hasn't addressed the issue.

And others have problems with the latest nvidia driver and MSFS... is that a common link?

Bert

3 hours ago, forshaw said:

I think that Microsoft got a little ahead of themselves with the premature (IMHO) release of the product labeled to the market as a "GAME.(online)"  They leveraged their existing infrastructure used for their games but not enough thought into the potential issues associated with logins ID (Game Pass; Purchase ID, PC ID); client (PC) to cloud interaction, and the potential of things being out of sync.

Forshaw. 

I think you hit the nail on the head there.. there are so many potential login conflicts.. windows id, xbox id, gamertag,.. have to remember so many passwords just to get into the game.. gone are the days where you c'd just double click a sim, and be sitting on the tarmac in less than a couple of minutes.. 

this sim feels like you are trying to break into a swiss bank vault.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, Jeff Nielsen said:

It could also hang because of the display driver.  If you have the latest, roll back and you should be good.

Same driver I am using that came with my PC with the Nvidia display driver 3 weeks ago, which was working before. In my experience in simming since 1981 I never upgrade graphic drivers unless I have to especially if I am not experiencing nay issues.

Thanks for the input.

Forshaw.

Curious.  If you're still having this issue have you ever installed the Google earth mod?  I've heard this plays with host file on install, which prevents connection to Azure servers when loading a flight.  Just a shot in the dark.   

• Like 1

Regards, Kendall

2 hours ago, irocx said:

Curious.  If you're still having this issue have you ever installed the Google earth mod?  I've heard this plays with host file on install, which prevents connection to Azure servers when loading a flight.  Just a shot in the dark.   

If the "Host" file still has the Google lines in it... you would get exactly what the OP is experiencing..

• Like 1

Bert

Yes we installed the google mod on my dads pc. But we did uninstall it and also reinstalled the whole sim again. Is it possible that some residual files are still there causing the problem?

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

So any work around to reset the host file to what it was before the google mod?

Vinod Kumar

Also he had done a few flights after uninstalling the mod. This issue came up recently out of the blue. 

Vinod Kumar

55 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If the "Host" file still has the Google lines in it... you would get exactly what the OP is experiencing..

Yes(s) 😉

Regards, Kendall

On 12/13/2021 at 2:32 AM, forshaw said:

Thanks for all of your help and input folks I really appreciate it. Nothing I tried worked thus far. 

Do you use either of the caches -- manual or rolling cache? If so, delete them and turn them off then try to fly without the caches. If it works, you can turn them back on to rebuild them.

The last several people I came across with this issue, it transpired to be corrupted or incompatible cache data. Hopefully this does the trick for you too.

Edited by March Hare

I had the same problem-until someone said somewhere that you must start MSFS as admistrator .Solved it for me.If I forget to do that I get the hang