Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Switch nVIDIA to AMD

Hi all, got hands on a RX 6900 XT and aiming to switch it for my 1080ti. Something special to consider here for MSFS? Like deleting a cfg as back in P3D days? Or should it just run?

PS: I will do a proper installation via DDU of course...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

31 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Hi all, got hands on a RX 6900 XT and aiming to switch it for my 1080ti. Something special to consider here for MSFS? Like deleting a cfg as back in P3D days? Or should it just run?

PS: I will do a proper installation via DDU of course...

Nothing should be needed... just clean the nVidia drivers with DDU in safe mode, restart and install the AMD driver.

• Like 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I did exactly this recently when I replaced an old 780ti with a 6900xt and although in theory there shouldn't be any problems I ended up with a fresh windows install because of some problems. Honestly, I couldn't be sure exactly what was causing the problem because it happened during a period of several changes I made to my system in both hardware and software. I suspect DDU deletes everything in the AMD driver folder if you allow it to and this may include chipset driver stuff if the rest of your rig is also AMD. There is an option in the settings of DDU with something related to this I think. Just before I decided a windows reinstall was the best option I noticed my chipset drivers were missing componants despite having only been recently installed. I have been meaning to clarify this but have not gotten around to it.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Where do I find the MSFS shader cache? Pretty sure this is needed, because the first test was a stutterfest just now...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Where do I find the MSFS shader cache? Pretty sure this is needed, because the first test was a stutterfest just now...

Screenshot-3.png

• Like 2

You might want to look at your MSFS config file as that normaly has your graphic card listed etc at the very top. It might be worth deleting it and let it rebuild. If you have a custom install bath just edit it and only leave your install path. Its right at the bottom.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Are you talking about userOPT.cfg?

Greetings, Chris

I switched from an RTX 2080 Super to a 6800xt with absolutely no issues.

Run the DDU and carefully follow the instructions .. If you have done it without going into safe mode at any point you have done it incorrectly.

No ill effects at all and everything runs flawlessly.

Enjoy your card.

As to the shader Cache. I wouldn't worry about that too much. If DDU didnt clear it out then you may certainly clear/reset the shader cache using the Radeon software when you install the cards graphics drivers.

Cheers

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Bummer, I did as suggested with DDU, but still I get significant stutters when panning around, something I never hav with the 1080ti. Strange...

Greetings, Chris

5 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Bummer, I did as suggested with DDU, but still I get significant stutters when panning around, something I never hav with the 1080ti. Strange...

Welcome to the Limited by Main Thread club 🙂 Did you set precaching to Ultra?

You could try limiting the framerate to a fixed low value and/or using a freesync monitor and/or decreasing terrain LOD.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 3

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I have a freesync monitor, FPS internally set to 30. Do you really think that this is just because the 6900xt is so much faster and the CPU limit is now that obvious that it results in stuttering? I honestly doubt, FPS are only about 20-30% higher, if at all

Greetings, Chris

I have both a 1080 ti and a 6700 xt and i swap them frequently, no issues at all, of course i also use DDU.

• Like 2

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Yup, the CPU is now holding you back, turn down the LOD settings a fair a bit and watch the CPU free up and the frame rate rise. I only have a RX6800 (not XT) and a 3900x. I Run 4k mostly Ultra and can get 50fps at above 1500ft providing I keep core 5 on the CPU from maxing out, the best setting to control this is the 2 lods, which i run at 150 on the ground for around 35-40fps with my core 5 maxed at about 95% then switch back to 275and 200 in the air which takes me back to 45-50fps which is where my card seems to be maxed.

Play around with the settings while having task manager open on performance tab for CPU showing all logical process, and monitor the core that is maxing out, adjust lods until this runs just shy of peak on the ground, these do not need to be high on the ground. Then find a setting for the lod in the air keeping the loaded core just shy of max again. You can then either go for a compromise setting between the 2 or switch between the ground and altitude setting.

I'm currently waiting for the next AMD CPU release to get my system to a point where I hope I can again maintain around 40fps with my card or for Asobo to fix what they did in the last update which causes on ground fps to get tanked by loading up 1 of the cores in the CPU.

Sim update 6 I was running lod 275 and 200 for steady 35 to 40 fps 4k in all scenarios rarely maxing out any corrs, but something in Sim update 7 lead me to go through the above, to recover the tanking low alt/ ground fps.

What CPU have you paired the 6900xt to?

• Like 1

I would try without limiting frames or anything in settings. 

If you have an AMD card and a Freesync monitor and you limit FPS in game you're injecting limitations on your card that should not be necessary. 

Try without any limits first. Then start experimenting. And make sure the in-game settings are what they are. Meaning, set everything to Low, click apply. Then set everything to Ultra, click apply. Then start moving the sliders. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s