Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

Scenery Gateway has Started

Disk space would be my only real concern.  Regional scenery updates seem optional now, so hopefully it remains like that. 

Andrew Crowley

Most airports are KB's in size...maybe 20 MB tops from what I've seen - assuming they use default assets.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, haskell said:

Except that’s not how it works. It would be moderated and each would have to be approved. I don’t understand, don’t you have to deal with the sim loading all the lame, incorrect airports now? You aren’t able to ignore airports or planes that don’t interest you now. 

Correct. But I still don't understand why this is needed in the first place. The Avsim Library, Flightsim.to and many other freeware (and payware) outlets already supply simmers with beautifully crafted sceneries and airports without the needing to force me to add it. As others have already mentioned, there's a lot of really good freeware out there and also a lot of crapola. I don't see this as being any different.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

7 hours ago, pmb said:

I suppose it's kind of a singularity

+1 on what Ryan said.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

18 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

Correct. But I still don't understand why this is needed in the first place. The Avsim Library, Flightsim.to and many other freeware (and payware) outlets already supply simmers with beautifully crafted sceneries and airports without the needing to force me to add it. As others have already mentioned, there's a lot of really good freeware out there and also a lot of crapola. I don't see this as being any different.

It would mean everyone, even those without knowledge of FlightSim.to, would get enhanced airports, without having to download and install it. 

It means you could go anywhere in the world and potentially have a more accurate airport to land at, and people online would have the same one. They’d be on the same taxiways, parking etc. People flying online on vatsim would have the real world taxiway names so controllers don’t have to specify the real name and also the MSFS name  

And there’d be nothing to stop you installing a better one from FlightSim.to etc. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NZ255 said:

It would mean everyone, even those without knowledge of FlightSim.to, would get enhanced airports, without having to download and install it. 

It means you could go anywhere in the world and potentially have a more accurate airport to land at, and people online would have the same one. They’d be on the same taxiways, parking etc. People flying online on vatsim would have the real world taxiway names so controllers don’t have to specify the real name and also the MSFS name  

And there’d be nothing to stop you installing a better one from FlightSim.to etc. 

I agree with you a 100 percent on this.  I think a lot of the folks here fundamentally really understand what this is and how it works.  For those of us that come from the Xplane world, this type of thing is a huge benefit.

• Like 3

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Disk space would be my only real concern.  Regional scenery updates seem optional now, so hopefully it remains like that. 

If they’re only using default assets they wouldn’t be very big at all

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

If they’re only using default assets they wouldn’t be very big at all

If so I sincerely hope for more default hangars with doors open.  Most of these great freeware user-created airports still lack an important element of life because the doors are all closed.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 hours ago, superspud said:

I'm dead curious about this. 

I will be curious if I am not dead before this is perfected.  I am still advocating that MSFS and Asobo get the core right before updates and other projects.

I live in hope

Tony  

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

10 hours ago, haskell said:

It would improve the BASE program. As all these amazing artists build accurate airports, they would be added to the sim at the next update. Of course, if you choose to find airports and add them to your Community folder those would take precedent. But as each of those was uploaded they would be included in future updates. What would that hurt? 

Hopefully that's how it will work. Rather than as per the present with regard to Asobo improved airports in the Official folder which you have to physically uninstall if you wish to use an alternative freeware or payware product.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

How does this compare to flightsim.to?

No comparison at all.  With .to you decide, and do it yourself.  With this "gateway", someone else decides, and does it for you.

"Newer and greater in every way!"   LOL 😀

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

21 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Surely the only way this'll happen is by the usual streaming just like the existing standard airports, which is why they'll only allow stock library assets. 

At least I hope so as no way am I going to download thousands of airports as additional downloads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, superspud said:

Surely the only way this'll happen is by the usual streaming just like the existing standard airports, which is why they'll only allow stock library assets. 

At least I hope so as no way am I going to download thousands of airports as additional downloads. 

Yeah, makes sense. That plus using only stock materials, with no custom objects or textures, would mean no space concerns. 

Andrew Crowley

I can see how this might be a proficient means of updating airports in the hope of making them user/AI traffic friendly, but aren't there more pressing issues with the sim at the this time? 

Also, with the current poor implementation of the actual marketplace regarding developer admission/vetting/release/updates, why does Microsobo think this will be any different? I mean after a short year, Jorg has already stated they want to revamp the marketplace.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Kendall