Sign in to follow this  
PLazarus

Very loud noises during taxi on an A330-200

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello all!I went on vacation recently to Asia and returned on an A330-200 (I do not want to mention the airlines name).While taxying out at CCU (Kolkata, India) there were a number of REALLY loud noises coming from beneath the airplane. I was seated right over the wing.These noises were loud and they went CLANK-CLANK-BAM....CLANK-BAM....CLONK CLONK CLONK..BAM http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...es/icon_eek.gifI have *never* heard such a racket in my life on a taxying airliner and fellow pax and I waved to an FA who told us not to worry about it. The noises were loud enough that I felt faint vibrations in my seat. The cabin crew did'nt seem in the least bit affected. I concluded these noises must be typical of this particular airframe.I thought I would ask you all what they might have been. Gear doors? The landing gear struts?I was a tad nervous during takeoff lol but all was well later on...however on landing at Dubai...you guessed it! CLONK CLONK CLONK CLANG CLANG http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...es/icon_eek.gif

That's a typical Airbus. They are all noisey. I have flown in four or five Airbuses this year alone, and they all make a racket. Sometimes I wonder how they keep from falling apart.

Guest ThrottleUp

Wow interesting to see that you have had the same experience Tom! I wonder what the cause of all those noises are.Because on the second leg of my journey I flew on an identical plane (A330-200) and this time all was quiet!

The first Airbus I ever flew on was a Singapore Air A319 (edit: or it might have been a 320, my memory sucks) from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. It was a brand new A/C. It made a heck of a racket during taxi, and during take off, I thought the wheels / tires were square.I flew a brand new A340 from Frankfurt to Istanbul last year and it too made a ungodly racket on take off.I have just gotten used to the noise, but I still am nervous about their composite vertical stabs. Am not convinced they have that problem sorted out yet.

G'day Nevin,>Because on the second leg of my journey I flew on an identical>plane (A330-200) and this time all was quiet! A pity you didn't include the above statement in your original post. Noise is a perception. What is noisey to one individual is un-noticed by another. Your seating position within the cabin can have a profound effect on the degree of noise. I'll bet the first class passengers up front were blissfully unaware of any noise. :-) I've absolutely no idea what could be causing the sounds you refer to. I no nothing about Airbus aircraft. If you want noise when flying try a trip in a Beaver. Can't even hear yourself think. But what a beautiful noise, true music to the ears :-lolCheers,Roger

G'day Greg,Wow! nearly as many theories on the cause as there are conspiracy theories about past events in America.Of all the suggested causes the one I like best is the hammering brake shuttle valve as this best meshes with the original posters description of the problem.Thanks for the link.Cheers,Roger

"I thought I would ask you all what they might have been. Gear doors? The landing gear struts?"Langoliers are known to prefer AirbusesRegards,John

Guest Andrew1981

>The first Airbus I ever flew on was a Singapore Air A319>(edit: or it might have been a 320, my memory sucks) from>Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. It was a brand new A/C. It made a>heck of a racket during taxi, and during take off, I thought>the wheels / tires were square.>>I flew a brand new A340 from Frankfurt to Istanbul last year>and it too made a ungodly racket on take off.>>I have just gotten used to the noise, but I still am nervous>about their composite vertical stabs. Am not convinced they>have that problem sorted out yet.You know that SQ don't fly SIN-KUL with an airbus 319/320 ? gosh they don't have any ! The smallest plane is a B772/A345

It was about 10 - 12 years ago. Could have been Malaysian Air I suppose, but I am pretty sure it was SA.

Guest thscholz

>That's a typical Airbus. They are all noisey. I have flown in>four or five Airbuses this year alone, and they all make a>racket. Sometimes I wonder how they keep from falling apart.Tom, wasn't that a bit politically incorrect?CheersThomas

Guest BryUK

>>I have just gotten used to the noise, but I still am nervous about their composite vertical stabs. Am not convinced they have that problem sorted out yet.Not to be too offtopic, but you know there never actually was a problem with the vertical stabilisor, right? No changes were ever made to any Airbus aircraft after that accident.It withstood its ultimate load and only broke when that was exceeded. Which would be expected of any aiframe and material. All aircraft manufactors issued a safety bulletin in the aftermath to that effect.You really mustn't be looking forward to the 787 with the whole fuselage made out composites. :(Anyway, noise can really vary from airframe to airframe, but mostly where exactly you sit. Just last month I went down to London on a newish BA A319 and it was a very pleasent flight. Very quiet and smooth in the air and ground. (recorded a bunch of it on video). My first A319 flight and it couldn't have been nicer. Infact, I was alost dissapointed as from A320 experience, I expected the IAE engines to be louder on takeoff, but it wasn't to be.Though the BA A320-100 on the way back wasn't so nice, lol. It was a very old airframe, only the 6th A320 ever built. Those CFM engines were deafening compared to the IAE ones.

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks for the link to the airliners.net forum thread! That is *exactly* what I heard on that A330. Curious to know just what could be the cause of that because man they were loud and like I said you could feel the vibrations in your seat. Good to see everyones replies...at least now I know I was not hearing things! :(

Yes, it WAS a bit politically correct. :)I could have said what I really thought. :-smile12