Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

737 trim wheel and auto pilot

I was flying the default 737 and noticed after a while of frustration, that I could not get the Auto Pilot to stick to the programmed altitude, it would simple keep climbing past what ever altitude I would set. Then I noticed that my vertical trim wheel was not centered and was in a high positive position. I thought that when auto pilot engaged altitude hold it automatically took over the trim wheel. After manually centering the trim wheel auto pilot was able to assign the programmed altitude. Does this happen in real life?Please, this is a serious question; please refrain from using this post to bash FSX as it does not help to answer my questions like what unfortunately happened on my previous post. If it is an FSX flaw, so be it and let

Guest nels

I have exactly the same issues. I'm not sure if this is correct in real life so not sure if I should get annoyed or call it a 'bug'But yes, i find the same.Nels

Guest allcott

FS has always used trim, rather than elevator, for vnav in a/p. FSX is no different. The key is to be in trim before engaging the a/p - just as any real pilot would be. It is not a bug, it is a programming choice which I am sure is there for a reason, as it's been criticised too many times for it not to have been changed if there was an imperative to. Possibly to do with the spurious inputs from controllers.This is also something the registered version of FSUIPC can fix.Allcott

Guest nels

Thanks Alcott - really helpful info. I have one more question if you don't mind. In the Airbus I'm finding it tricky (with the mouse) to adjust the heading knob on AP as I usually hit the bank angle too.Are you finding this too? Its obviously the way the Airbus is designed and am sure is great in real-life (with your thumb) but in FS with a mouse its difficult - for me anyway.Is there a keyboard shortcut to adjust the heading on AP in the Airbus in FSX?Nels

There is an assignment in FSX for selecting the heading bug.My key assignment "CTL SHF h" but this may not be the default. After selecting just press the increment or decrement keys "Shift =" and "Shift -". You can also find selections for course bug and many more. It is worth a perusal of the key assignmnets in FSX settings to see what is possible. Some functions do not have default key assignments and you would have to assign your own keys if you wanted to use the function. Clear skies.:)John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.