Sign in to follow this  
Bunchy

Better performance without tweaks.....

Guest BrianFletcher

Is anybody here getting better performance in FSX without any tweaks? For whatever reason, I am actually losing FPS and gaining the stutters when I use the tweaks. Obviously I am reverting back to the default cfg file now, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I had that in FS9 regularly. Then always built up on the clean cfg again. I think in most caes it is something mental rather than objective.

Guest BrianFletcher

I'm sure your right. I can measure the FPS, but it's hard to put a number on stuttering. I guess I might as well leave the cfg file alone.....that way at least I won't go crazy trying to measure my performance.

Guest allcott

I found the best balance to come from not messing too much with the .cfg directly, but instead using the generic selections in the FSX configuration menu - Medium Low, Medium High, that sort of thing. Then increasing selected sliders from there.Allcott

Guest rapsta

Hello Brian,I think that my FSX is running faster if I am not using the texture tweaks except of the modified Cloud Textures.The fsx.cfg tweaks are very useful. Especially the panning tweak and the manual autogen settings.Jens

Guest jcomm

Interesting you mention that...As a matter of fact, after more than 5 FSX installations I found something in that way too - not using tweaks and resuming all of the "tweaks" to the FSX sliders appears to get smoother fps.There is only one tweak I still apply - the starts database tweak, because I find it perfectly useless to have all of those "planetary-like" starts in the firmament....

I have a 3200 barton 32bit cpu, 1.5gig of ram, 9800 pro 128mb video card. No FSX config tweaks or texture tweaks at all.If I disable autogen, I can lock the fps at 25 and get pretty fluid perfomance. Texture settings are high, water 1x high, zero traffic land, sea or air.I use Cloud9 Europe landclass.But your findings seemed very similar to mine before I reverted to a clean install.I'm getting a new 6600 based comp in May, so hopefully that will be post SP1, and I can re-introduce autogen.Anyway, my point is, I tried all the tweaks with autogen files, disabling xml and so on along with reducing texture size but did not gain any real performance.What do I expect anyway, with my current system?I personally love FSX. Yes it has problems which I believe are well on the way to being sorted. The willingness of Microsoft, (Phil especially) to communicate with us can only be a good thing for everyone.I know...... I know, I've gone on a bit. I advise anyone to try all tweaks and seeing for yourselves because no two systems give identical results.All the best.Stu UK

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Guest jcomm

Stu,indeed even me - a long time MSFS "basher" - am surrendering to the excelent platform FSX already is. I look forward for the patch because I know that even on non "top notch" machines like mine (P4@3,00GHZ HT, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia 6600 256 AGP) the changes will be noticeable (although it'll be even better on dual/dual2 or even quad core machines...).I also appreciate the way this time, for the very first time!, the MSFS team is sharing their internal work with the user community.I spend most of the time tweaking flight models, because I couldn't care less about the visuals if the FM and Systems were good, and they aren't in the great majority of the MSFS add-ons, but when a good add-on comes out it really pays for the difference.I used/still use, many other sims, including ELITE and PS1 to name just a few of the best, but as time passes by, I see MSFS more and more as a regression line accross the space of features and their quality of implementation in the sim.Many simulators have aspects modelled a lot better than MSFS does, but none covers as many aspects and (IMHO) has as much potential as MSFS.... I also see and talk to more and more pilots, private or commercial and even military, who use MSFS as a proficiency tool! A close friend who has an Archer is using one of the best add-on Archers around to practise emmergency procedures in the simulator and also whenever he has to fly to aerodromes and places where he has never been before. The visuals but also the overall feeling and performance of the aircraft in the sim are, according to him, the best he has ever experienced on a sim (including a few sophisticated ones....)Sorry for the long, and somehow out-of-subject post...

Jose, and everyone.What a jolly nice and constructive thread this turned out to be!Let's all have a community hug!Stu UK

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.