Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Pixelated Clouds Again

Is anyone else experiencing pixelated / grainy clouds again?  If so, were you able to find a fix for them?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I've always had them since, I want to say, around SU5. Before then, they looked gorgeous, but I think something with the XBOX update destroyed them. Also, when I'm flying out of them, they have this terrible tone/color banding that happens. Feels like you're flying through a digital cloud. I don't have many complaints about MSFS, but thats definitely one of the few. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

I've always had them since, I want to say, around SU5. Before then, they looked gorgeous, but I think something with the XBOX update destroyed them. Also, when I'm flying out of them, they have this terrible tone/color banding that happens. Feels like you're flying through a digital cloud. I don't have many complaints about MSFS, but thats definitely one of the few. 

Yes.  I agree completely 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Yap, I have them on 'High', 'Ultra' makes it a tiny bit better, but comes with a huge fps cost, at least on 4K....

Hope they address this soon.... It is one of my pet peeves with the sim, they did many things right, but not the clouds. 

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Yes and have been there forever aside from 1 update where they disappeared, but returned with the performance update.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I see very little pixelization, at the edge only, under some lighting conditions and when rather close. No banding.

I wonder whether this is not related to drivers.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I concur with what Dominique says, only when close and going through them.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

24 minutes ago, stefanwa said:

I already posted this screenshot in another thread, but this one is more on topic. Maybe someone has similar experiences. A lot of the time clouds look good, but sometimes they look horrible, like in the screenshot (PC, Radeon 5700, latest AMD 21.12.1).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JJCLubZn5TdPppFspBmc3mHgtah6EzRV/view?usp=sharing

Yep... This is exactly what I am referring to.  Sometimes it looks good, and sometimes like your pic or worse.  I don't know why this happens but hopefully there is a fix or solution to it soon.  

Making sure that sharpen is turned off in your graphics driver and in the user.cfg can help with this.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Same here, but they have disappeared since I downloaded the SU7 hot fix beta from Steam and installed the newest Nvidia drivers (I know, I know, I should not have done both at the same time...).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Making sure that sharpen is turned off in your graphics driver and in the user.cfg can help with this.

How do i do this in the user config?  I have never messed with that before.  I also don't see Image Sharpening in my Nvidia settings.. I see Image scaling, but not sharpening.  Where do I find that?

Edited by Zimmerbz