Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

How can I see snow?

So this may be a dumb question but how can I see snow in the sim? I have tried going to northern airports in USA where I know there is snow and I only see grass. Am I missing something? Do I need to buy an addon just to see snow? This seems so bizarre to me, so I must have done something wrong, but I don't know what it could be. Thanks

1 minute ago, bosflo said:

So this may be a dumb question but how can I see snow in the sim? I have tried going to northern airports in USA where I know there is snow and I only see grass. Am I missing something? Do I need to buy an addon just to see snow? This seems so bizarre to me, so I must have done something wrong, but I don't know what it could be. Thanks

I was just at PANC and using Live Weather, there was plenty of snow.

Do you have Live Weather enabled and selected?

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Yes I do but I have not tried PANC. Should have been an obvious one.i tried a random airport in Siberia and all I saw was grass. I will try PANC tomorrow, thanks.

there are no seasons yet in msfs, its as only as good as the time of the satellite imagery was taken, most satellite images are taken when snow is absent to get the best detail of the area of concern. areas where snow is 24/7 will be the best areas to find snow in msfs' current form.

i live in a region where we only have two seasons, and that shortfall is quite evident in the game

Matt

NT - AUSTRALIA

Yesterday I landed in a very snowy Geneva. It was fascinating as the sun was behind me and the shadow of my A320 got bigger as I approached the runway, also a bit disconcerting! I flew into the same airport last week and there was no snow. Innsbruck was also covered in snow.

I have no add-on's for weather.

Go to the in-flight weather panel and manually edit/set SNOW DEPTH and TEMPERATURE.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I flew through the Alps and Southern Germany earlier in the week and all that was covered in white stuff. No Idea if it still is.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Might be a stupid question, but did you really use live weather? If you by chance visited those places using "clear skies preset" all the time, you wont see any snow, never...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 hours ago, jeansy said:

there are no seasons yet in msfs, its as only as good as the time of the satellite imagery was taken, most satellite images are taken when snow is absent to get the best detail of the area of concern. areas where snow is 24/7 will be the best areas to find snow in msfs' current form.

i live in a region where we only have two seasons, and that shortfall is quite evident in the game

This is (partially) incorrect, there are no Seasons yet in the default Sim but SU2 a year ago added Live Snow Coverage. So it's nothing to do with the satellite imagery I'm afraid, if you fly with Live Weather you should see snow on the ground like in real life.

One thing I've noted is it takes a day or two for it to "appear", case in point being the huge snowfall in mid Spain last winter which took a while before it showed up in sim.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

So I have tried flying at several airports using live weather. I have tested Anchorage, Helsinki, Zurich, Geneva, Innsbruck, Reykyvik, and St. Petersburg and I have not seen snow anywhere. Not on the ground and not even in the mountains. I have everything set up correctly, so I am really starting to get annoyed because this should not be so hard and should be a fundamental part of the sim. If there is snow on the ground in the real world, then I should see snow when I go to those places. Is this what REX does? does it show the real-world conditions? I should not have to buy an addon for something that should be in the basic game. I'm sure if you all are seeing snow using real live weather then there is something wrong on my part, but I can't think of what it could be. 

I was in Whitehorse CYXY last night and there was good snow coverage.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

29 minutes ago, bosflo said:

So I have tried flying at several airports using live weather. I have tested Anchorage, Helsinki, Zurich, Geneva, Innsbruck, Reykyvik, and St. Petersburg and I have not seen snow anywhere. Not on the ground and not even in the mountains. I have everything set up correctly, so I am really starting to get annoyed because this should not be so hard and should be a fundamental part of the sim. If there is snow on the ground in the real world, then I should see snow when I go to those places. Is this what REX does? does it show the real-world conditions? I should not have to buy an addon for something that should be in the basic game. I'm sure if you all are seeing snow using real live weather then there is something wrong on my part, but I can't think of what it could be. 

Well you need to go where there is snow in real life, having just checked live web cams there is no snow in Geneva, Zurich or Helsinki at this moment in time...!

Try Courchevel, I see plenty of snow there in game as per real life.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Live weather has also been having a bit of lag, you may have to wait a couple minutes for it to show up

Edited by Tuskin38

On 12/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, Adamski_NZ said:

Go to the in-flight weather panel and manually edit/set SNOW DEPTH and TEMPERATURE.

Was about to say this, its a cool feature and I use it a lot while flying in Alaska, the Rockies, Andes etc. The one small thing that needs fixing is that entire taxiways and runways become obscured. They need an option to leave these cleared. Not totally cleared (would not look realistic) but just a simulation of them having been cleared by blowers or dozers. 

• Like 1

One thing I’ll add is that I found last year that snow depths were always slightly under depicted.  Ie when the real world data showed a trace of snow, there would be none.  When the data snowed a bit more snow, the sim would only have a trace.  It always seemed to be a bit low by a small margin.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU