Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Kodiak Review Thread

41 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The "fixed" version is V1.0.4

You get it from wherever you bought the plane.

Thanks Bert.

Out of curiosity I went to Control Panel > Programs and Features to check the version of the Kodiak I have installed, and there was no entry there for the SWS Kodiak, which surprised me. Wonder why?  I did find the ver # listed in the Addons Linker app.

Al

Edited by ark

Ok, the hotfix makes this aircraft a lot less hot on take off. I have never flown a turbine SEP in RL, but just could not imagine an aircraft would fly THAT jumpy, wobbly and over sensitive to stick or rudder input. Hard to even hold certain pitch agles during take off roll. Reduced all sensitivities by 20 percent and installed the Xmas Hotfix and voila - it flies just beautifully. 

Probably some people will say, now it is not as real anymore, adapted to the C152 flying masses, well, so be it. I just jumped from one Nepalese airstrip to the next and then into India with a Garmin 100p VNAV enabled approach into a small field. Terrific. Great plane.

And a plane for people that like to use a rudder in-flight and not just on the ground. The old saying, "Glider pilots are the better powered flight pilots", gets a whole new meaning with this aircraft. If you come too high it also slips very smoothly with beautiful transitions in and out of the slip. Not sure if it is supposed to be slipped IRL. 

Anyhow a superb aircraft! I love it.

Christoph

1 hour ago, pcartier1960 said:

From JustFlight, not sure if they have any hotfixes yet, wish I purchased the plane from the vendors site.

They are off for the Christmas Holidays apparently, you will probably get it tomorrow. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

A finished a mini review in the screenshot subforum - if there's anyone else left on the fence (we've all caved, and for good reasons lol)

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This is more of a Kodiak question rather than review.

1) On a LOC approach, the G1000 correctly selected the LOC however, I could not find the distance anywhere on the display.  How do I get this to show up?  The approach I was doing was a step down over mountains so the distance was rather critical.

2) On the W&B, I switched to a PAX version and loaded up 6 PAX of various weights.  The pilot appeared but no pax.  On the cargo version I am getting the FO and cargo to appear.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

2 hours ago, pcartier1960 said:

From JustFlight, not sure if they have any hotfixes yet, wish I purchased the plane from the vendors site.

You and me both lol. Hopefully we get it some time before 20222. 🙂

2 minutes ago, MarkW said:

1) On a LOC approach, the G1000 correctly selected the LOC however, I could not find the distance anywhere on the display.  How do I get this to show up?  The approach I was doing was a step down over mountains so the distance was rather critical.

2) On the W&B, I switched to a PAX version and loaded up 6 PAX of various weights.  The pilot appeared but no pax.  On the cargo version I am getting the FO and cargo to appear.

Doesn't distance show up on the top of the PFD

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

40 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Do you mean dme?  Some localizers don't have that.  What approach to what airport was it?  You may have to identify descent restrictions using crossing radials from a vor etc.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

34 minutes ago, MarkW said:

1) On a LOC approach, the G1000 correctly selected the LOC however, I could not find the distance anywhere on the display.  How do I get this to show up?  The approach I was doing was a step down over mountains so the distance was rather critical

If you use G1000 NXI mod:

try PFD OPT (options) key, and enable the associated bearing pointer. This will also add a display window with additional information (DME if available, bearing, Station ID etc)

dE2GSk0.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

6 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Do you mean dme?  Some localizers don't have that.  What approach to what airport was it?  You may have to identify descent restrictions using crossing radials from a vor etc.

Ryan, that may be it, I think the DME was not there and I needed to tune a VOR for distance. Will try it again to check.  
It was the LOC approach to runway 01 at LIPB. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

6 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

If you use G1000 NXI mod:

try PFD OPT (options) key, and enable the associated bearing pointer. This will also add a display window with additional information (DME if available, bearing, Station ID etc)

dE2GSk0.png

See the distance in red at  the top of the PFD?  That is the distance to  the runway in this case. 1.8nm

Edited by Bobsk8

On 12/25/2021 at 3:16 PM, ark said:

For those with a standard MSFS store install, that file is located here:

C:\Users\your_namel\Documents\Al's Flight Simulation\MSFS 2020\Community AddOns\sws-aircraft-kodiak-wheels\SimObjects\Airplanes\SWS_Kodiak_gear\panel\SWS_ESI500

Al

This is not where mine is. It is simply in my community folder, 

38 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

This is not where mine is. It is simply in my community folder, 

Well that's interesting. There is no SWS_ESI500.xml file in my Community folder.  🤔

Al

Edit: I now realize that file on my system is located in a unique place because I use the Addon Linker program and have define a directory for my addons.

Edited by ark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ark said:

Well that's interesting. There is no SWS_ESI500.xml file in my Community folder.  🤔

Al

I found it, under Community\sws-aircraft-kodiak-wheels\SimObjects\Airplanes\SWS_Kodiak_gear_CP

I couldn't edit it however, so I gave up. Love this aircraft and don't want to break anything. 

BTW I found out that the Hobbs meter, for Flight time resets to zero after flight. Not sure if this is supposed to or not. This is another meter for block time, but it indicates way less than what I have flown so far.