Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Kodiak Review Thread

Hopefully this will be helpful.
It is also worth noting that following SU7, a visit to the Content Manager will reset these options.

1.jpg

Edited by Reader

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

I don't know because I never flew the pre-patch version. 😉

Another question! I mainly fly this plane as a bush plane moving cargo around places like PNG. Should I use the tundra tires in that case? (What does the missionairy pilot use?)

Tundra tires are used for really rough surfaces, with dirt, holes, mud, small rocks etc. Used alot in places like Alaska, New Guinea, etc. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Tundra tires are used for really rough surfaces, with dirt, holes, mud, small rocks etc. Used alot in places like Alaska, New Guinea, etc. 

Okay, thanks! Since I mainly plan to fly from and to grass and dirt strips in PNG and Alaska I will switch to tundra tires then! 😉

In the meantime I printed the normal procedures checklists from the official POH (plus the take off roll charts from the SWS-manual) at a 100% size on nice, thick paper: that might make the overall experience a bit more realistic and more 'deep'. 😉 I really plan to make this purchase worthwhile and enjoy the plane. 😉

Okay, Bert was right: I am beginning to like this plane...! One thing I noticed is that it really helps to check the charts and fly by the numbers, something I am not really used to with GA's in sims. So I guess that is a big thumbs up to the devs...! I made a copy of the little chart the missionary bush pilot has for T/O and LND depending on LBS and now set the appropriate speeds on the G1000 PFD: this really helps with take offs. I also started to check TRQ and things like that on the charts. Great stuff...! (Although I don't really understand the use of it LOL I can also simply stay out of the red...?) I did some reading up on TRQ, ITT, NP and NG and how turboprops actually work. Very interesting and helpful. When you lower the RPM, TRQ goes up: interesting, and it actually works like that in the sim. I still have to figure out when to use the power lever and when the prop lever but I'll figure that out in time. I even read through the entire official POH! And so I also read that HI START actually is the prefered way to start the engines (under regular circumstances) and that you in fact do NOT have to set the ignition to on...! This is done automatically!

Anyway... by now I feel the strong urge to take back a lot of what I've said last weekend... This plane actually is great...! So I apologize for my initial negative posts...!

One little bug I found (or I must be mistaken): the animation of the VS wheel on the AP seems to be upside down? When I scroll up to go down, the wheel actually turns down and the other way around. Seems wrong to me?

BTW I am also using the trick I learned from one of the missionary video's to use the OSB to set the destination runway heading: very convenient when you're flying into these very small PNG strips!

EDIT
Oh, and another great positive: the last weeks, ever since SU7, I had HUGE stutters every 20 to 30 seconds or so and thought it was due to SU7. Very immersion killing. But apparently it was (also) due to the FBW A320 I flew all the time. With this Kodiak performance is absolutely butter smooth all the way and all the time!!! (Using ultra settings.) Even with that standby thing on! I do have to add I am using an official G-Sync monitor: I am FINALLY seeing the benefit of that now (I own it since two months or so)! (The fact that I fly in PNG only may also help LOL)

Edited by tup61
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, tup61 said:

When you lower the RPM, TRQ goes up: interesting, and it actually works like that in the sim. I still have to figure out when to use the power lever and when the prop lever

Yes, this is so b/c the propeller pitch is regulated with the prop lever. By lowering the RPM each blade pushes more air backwards.

The big elephant in the room that many new turboprop simmers have a hard time grasping is that

1.600 ft-lbs TRQ at 2.000RPM yields as much power as 2.000 ft-lbs at 1.600rpm, however the latter power setting is way less noisy and comfortable in the cabin.

Finally a quick note about limitations. Basically you deal with two different limiting factors. Below approx. 15.000ft (depending on model) you are limited by TRQ/N1, and as you continue the climb you will be limited by ITT (TRQ and fuel flow will slowly decrease as you ascend)

• Like 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

On 12/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, tup61 said:

Yes, I bought and installed the plane directly from SimWorks (and wonder why not everyone did this...!?!?) after they released the updated version (I waited for it) and so I do have the latest version!

Personally I prefer to use one site for purchases - makes it easier when updating.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Is there a way to start a flight from a small grass strips cold and dark...? Since none of those strips have parking spots I always start with everything running... Afaik this addon doesn't have states you can set or select?

I think you could land at a grass or dirt strip without parking spots and shut everything down, then save for a cold and dark starting at your favorite "boony" strip.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I have to be honest:

After exclusively flying the Kodiak 100 in MSFS with the WT G 1000 NXi, I'm having a hard time using any of the other planes - for me, the Kodiak 100 offers just the right combination of challenge and modern glass avionics. You can take it to remote grass strips, but easily fly in and out of busy airports. Sounds are fantastic. Performance on my "old potato" (thanks, Mr. Fuzzy) is entirely serviceable, even with the STDBY gauge enabled. Visually, the plane looks fantastic, doors open and close.

Does every switch, button and knob work? No. Is the start-up sequence 100% realistic. No. Did Kylie Jenner send me a marriage proposal? No.

But the plane needs to be flown by the numbers, trim needs to be taken care of, correct takeoff speeds need to be computed, otherwise your (virtual) relatives will have to cash in your death insurance.

The developers seem willing to address any remaining issues.

So, all in all, a real winner, released just in time for Christmas and 2022!

Thanks, Simworksstudios and WT!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I have to be honest:

After exclusively flying the Kodiak 100 in MSFS with the WT G 1000 NXi, I'm having a hard time using any of the other planes - for me, the Kodiak 100 offers just the right combination of challenge and modern glass avionics. You can take it to remote grass strips, but easily fly in and out of busy airports. Sounds are fantastic. Performance on my "old potato" (thanks, Mr. Fuzzy) is entirely serviceable, even with the STDBY gauge enabled. Visually, the plane looks fantastic, doors open and close.

Does every switch, button and knob work? No. Is the start-up sequence 100% realistic. No. Did Kylie Jenner send me a marriage proposal? No.

But the plane needs to be flown by the numbers, trim needs to be taken care of, correct takeoff speeds need to be computed, otherwise your (virtual) relatives will have to cash in your death insurance.

The developers seem willing to address any remaining issues.

So, all in all, a real winner, released just in time for Christmas and 2022!

Thanks, Simworksstudios and WT!

I agree with you 100%. Since I purchased it, I haven't stopped flying it. Its one of them addons that sets the bar. If its a GA addon and its not like this one, I wont buy it. The sounds, the feel, the modeling its all one great package. The sounds and especially the change in airflow sounds when the flaps come down, just makes it feel like a living breathing aircraft and really immerses you. Works great with the Bravo throttle and Thrustmaster pedals, just waiting on the new Alpha yoke to come out next year and I'm set. 

I would recommend everyone do a flight from NZQA to NZAA. Its a big flight and I did take break along the way on a random airstrip somewhere in New Zealand but it was a great flight with great scenery. I would recommend Flightbeams NZAA to fly into and find a nice parking at the GA area. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I agree with you 100%.

Me too. Man, do I feel like a moron after re-reading my first posts about this plane... I absolutely LOVE it now... Thanks, Simworksstudios and WT, indeed!

I would recommend everyone do a flight from NZQA to NZAA.

Do you perhaps mean NZQN...? I think I am going to do the NZQN to NZAA flight during my coming sessions. I'll land somewhere whenever I think it's time and then proceed from there the next sesson. NZ is beautiful indeed. (I presume you can save a flight and then proceed the next time? Never tried that before in MSFS.)

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Me too. Man, do I feel like a moron after re-reading my first posts about this plane... I absolutely LOVE it now... Thanks, Simworksstudios and WT, indeed!

Do you perhaps mean NZQN...? I think I am going to do the NZQN to NZAA flight during my coming sessions. I'll land somewhere whenever I think it's time and then proceed from there the next sesson. NZ is beautiful indeed. (I presume you can save a flight and then proceed the next time? Never tried that before in MSFS.)

Yes thats the one NZQN. I hardly fly out of Australia but the Kodiak has me exploring new places 🤣. I didn't save the flight I just landed and took a break, so I wouldn't know how well the save flight function works with this bird, I haven't really used the save function in the sim to be honest.

Just Flight update now live folks.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

8 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Just Flight update now live folks.

Yes, had the email in my inbox this AM. 😎👍

• Like 1

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

Hi, I have a question about cabin/cockpit temperatures. In the manual it advises that the Env Control System takes account of open doors etc. However, I am not sure this feature is working. I load the aircraft, inside temp is 25, I open all the doors but even with an outside temp of 3c, after 10 min the inside temp remains at 25c - this can't be right. Has anyone else had this?