Sign in to follow this  
V1ROTA7E

Kodiak Review Thread

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Want to test out your Bush piloting skills..  Download these Bush strips that the Missionary Pilot uses.  Program a flight from AYDY to AYYZ. You will have to do this in MSFS, because these airports won't show up on Skyvector or Simbrief. Just do a GPS from one to the other. Good luck on departure.

The GPS will get you to the "airport", but to land at that mountain strip (airport) is another matter. You really need to know the local terrain, e.g., what valley to go down, what hill to go around before turning base, etc, etc. This is pretty clear from the real world Missionary Pilot videos.

I have found a good way to try and get up to speed a bit is to take off from a mountain strip, fly about 5 NM or so away and try to find a place where you can safely turn around without having to climb to 12,000ft,  and then see if you can find your way back to the same airport and land. In many cases even this is more challenging than you may think!

Al

Edited by ark
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Cirrus is not certified to fly in known icing condition. Decing system that Cirrus has  serves as en emergency measure. In contrast, Kodiak is certified to fly in known icing condition.

By the way every my CFI renewal there are a lot of Cirrus related accidents for some reasons!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 minutes ago, ark said:

The GPS will get you to the "airport", but to land at that mountain strip (airport) is another matter. You really need to know the local terrain, e.g., what valley to go down, what hill to go around before turning base, etc, etc. This is pretty clear from the real world Missionary Pilot videos.

I have found a good way to try and get up to speed a bit is to take off from a mountain strip, fly about 5 NM or so away and try to find a place where you can safely turn around without having to climb to 12,000ft,  and then see if you can find your way back to the same airport and land. In many cases even this is more challenging than you may think!

Al

I landed there this afternoon, first try. Just flew around looking at the terrain and figured out an approach. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

14 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I landed there this afternoon, first try. Just flew around looking at the terrain and figured out an approach. 

I don't know where "there" is, but that is what you have to do.  I started by taking off from AYTI on "Rwy" 9 , flying east down the winding valley for a while, and then turning around and flying back to land on Rwy 27.  After a while I got to recognize some of the terrain features which really helped. So now I have an idea of some things to look for when flying from say AYXI to AYTI. Good fun! Oh, and suggest you start out with real weather off unless it is clear anyway.

Al

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Cirrus is not certified to fly in known icing condition. Decing system that Cirrus has  serves as en emergency measure. In contrast, Kodiak is certified to fly in known icing condition.

By the way every my CFI renewal there are a lot of Cirrus related accidents for some reasons!

Newer cirruses are FIKI certified .  Same weeping wing as the Kodiak.

Edited by ryanbatcund
spelling is hard

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Newer cirruses are FIKI certified .  Same weeping wing as the Kodiak.

I don't fly for real anymore, but if I ever was foolish enough to get stuck in bad icing conditions my guess is it might be more than the wing that was weeping! 😮 😉

Al

Edited by ark
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ark said:

I don't fly for real anymore, but if I ever was foolish enough to get stuck in bad icing conditions my guess is it would be more than the wing that was weeping!  😉

Al

I don't think anyone wants to get into bad icing conditions.  I was only pointing out tht Cirrus has the same certification as the Kodiak.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

I don't think anyone wants to get into bad icing conditions.  I was only pointing out that Cirrus has the same certification as the Kodiak.

Of course, I know.

Al

7 hours ago, ark said:

Al

I am a member of Ryans Missionary Bush Pilot Patreon page - well worth subscribing to.  Enough material on here to last months!

https://www.patreon.com/MissionaryBushPilot/posts

He has a section for Simulator flights (over 70 entries). Each flight has attachments showing how best to fly the approach, such as approach plates, maps and circuit diagrams. (also contains links to videos of the actual flight on his YouTube channel).  

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am a member of Ryans Missionary Bush Pilot Patreon page - well worth subscribing to.  Enough material on here to last months!

He has a section for Simulator flights (over 70 entries). Each flight has attachments showing how best to fly the approach, such as approach plates, maps and circuit diagrams. (also contains links to videos of the actual flight on his YouTube channel).  

Interesting but for 9 euro's a month...? Afaik that's the option you have to choose in order to get those plans. I'd rather make my own flights then. I like his video's and admire his work but his prices (also for the e-course) are a bit over the (mountain)top. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I recently signed up for his Patreon too.  The mountain airstrip charts he provides are awesome.  I downloaded them all, saved them to my foreflight documents and now have access to them forever.  I haven't flown anywhere other than PNG in my Kodiak for the last two weeks, and it's been awesome.  That alone makes the $10 worth it to me.  Plus he's very active and constantly adding new content.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tup61 said:

Interesting but for 9 euro's a month...? Afaik that's the option you have to choose in order to get those plans. I'd rather make my own flights then. I like his video's and admire his work but his prices (also for the e-course) are a bit over the (mountain)top. 😉

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

I purchased his lessons and was disappointed in many of the lessons most were 2- 5 minutes long not enough information.

They helped me but for $50 us I got a lot more out of utube for free

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

The lastest update (hotfix...) solved the power lever in beta problem for me! (Beta not being the MSFS beta but the 'reverse thrust' on the Kodiak)! Prior to this update (and ever since the Kodiak release) I had TWO transparent power levers on screen whenever I pressed the button that should toggle beta power. And I also had to HOLD the button while it should work as a toggle. I just landed and after the update the button works as a toggle again AND the animation of the lever is as it should be too! 🙂

• Like 2