Sign in to follow this  
WestEnd

Press \ to turn mouse into torch.

I cant believe I didn't know about this before.

it's a game changer for night time flying, and will be useful in day time too as the cockpits can be pretty dark in P3D.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Calum Watt

Cool! 

Thanks for telling everyone about this!

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

18 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Press \ again and you get a red light ... sequence is Off, White Spot, Red Spot.

Cheers, Rob.

Very useful tool for cold/dark night flying in the sim.

However it is peculiar that the sequence is reversed how any pilot would want their flashlight. You'd want red light first in order to not ruin your eyes' adaptive night vision. It can take a good 15 mins to regain it if you are really unlucky.

(DIY: Red transparent tape covering a conventional flashlight works just as good 😁)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

I had to delete my Standard.xml file, so that P3D could build a fresh one. Now, it sits on the ° ^ key, left of number 1 (german keyboard).

Michael

Edited by michaelth

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, michaelth said:

I just stumbled across a very stupid mistake which I made when moving from P3Dv4 to P3Dv5: To keep my joystick and pedal settings, I have overwritten the new Standard.xml file with the old one. Unless someone has a good idea, I will have to do a fresh install of P3Dv5.

Michael

You can delete the 2 files then they should regenerate next P3D run as the P3D 5 version.

• Like 1

dont you guys have dome lights in your a/c lol !

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

Registered on this site after years of lurking just to tell how much I appreciate this little bit of information.

I have a cheap 4k VA panel, which, while having a perfect black color rendition, makes some cockpits too dark even in bright daylight. For example, in QW 787 I cannot see in which direction I move pitch trim switches, despite sun being up high outside. And while using a torch light in cockpit during the day looks like a pretty laughable idea, this is exactly what I wanted few weeks ago, during the day flight in QW 787 :)

I already tested it, and this feature works even during the day, now I can see every cockpit detail which is hidden in the shadows.

Thank you very much for sharing this knowledge!

12 hours ago, sonny147 said:

dont you guys have dome lights in your a/c lol !

Sometimes it is so dark in the cockpit, that you can't even see the dome lights switches.

• Like 5

On 12/19/2021 at 4:20 PM, Rafal said:

Sometimes it is so dark in the cockpit, that you can't even see the dome lights switches.

The Mil 310R is a good example of that, just brutal dark.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

How is this command named? Sounds cool, but I haven´t seen it in v4 (and the only time I tried v5, it lasted 2 days in my desktop until I returned it because of CTDs and VRAM OOMs).

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Fsuipc is your friend guys , you fly planes and can't even turn the light on , retaining me thinks 😀

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

I find that Lorby Flashlight works better for me. It too has white/red/green options, and it follows the Chase Plane camera views just fine. And it's free!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I have a mouse with a lot of assignable buttons and the flashlight is always at my fingertips as I use it look around the VC. It is indeed a really cool feature. Weirdly, it seems the hardest thing to figure out on a new airplane is where the doggone lights switches are. I think some manufacturers had a wicked sense of humor.