Sign in to follow this  
Republic DC9

Preventing “Surging”?

I’ve really been enjoying the latest 5.3 as I have tons of content like my beloved Turbocommander 690 and I have my settings dialed in where things are silky smooth FPS, no stutters....but all of a sudden I’ll be flying and there’s a surge or jump or long frame or rubber banding every so often (????) before it returns to smoothness.

I fly Orbx TrueEarth sceneries and love the Seattle and LA areas but I do have my detail radius and autogen trees and buildings turned one notch above the lowest and tried lowering my mesh settings as well.

I also turned my tesselation from highest to lowest, have vsync on and have tried locking frames externally with no change...its like this is CPU/hard drive based surging vs. GPU.

i have a 10900K and RX 6800 with no changes to my Prepare3D.cfg in terms of affinity mask etc.

Any advice or experience with stopping this surging?

Thanks,

Steve

its a good idea  to turn vsync off in sim with frames unlocked , and try locking it to 30 or so with your GPU software , whats the refresh rate of your monitor / tv ?

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

1 minute ago, sonny147 said:

its a good idea  to turn vsync off in sim with frames unlocked , and try locking it to 30 or so with your GPU software , whats the refresh rate of your monitor / tv ?

Hi thank you will try....I am running unlimited in sim now but will try limiting externally with the GPU’s software...I have a Samsung 4K TV that has 60hz though I’ve tried setting it at 30hz.

7 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

I’ve really been enjoying the latest 5.3 as I have tons of content like my beloved Turbocommander 690 and I have my settings dialed in where things are silky smooth FPS, no stutters....but all of a sudden I’ll be flying and there’s a surge or jump or long frame or rubber banding every so often (????) before it returns to smoothness.

I fly Orbx TrueEarth sceneries and love the Seattle and LA areas but I do have my detail radius and autogen trees and buildings turned one notch above the lowest and tried lowering my mesh settings as well.

I also turned my tesselation from highest to lowest, have vsync on and have tried locking frames externally with no change...its like this is CPU/hard drive based surging vs. GPU.

i have a 10900K and RX 6800 with no changes to my Prepare3D.cfg in terms of affinity mask etc.

Any advice or experience with stopping this surging?

Thanks,

Steve

1. O/c that CPU to at least 5Ghz

2. Use a good AM

3. Vsync on, frames unlimited in sim (if you can run your display at 30hz)

4. Adjust settings to suit (I have no recent experience with AMD cards so unsure how powerful that RX6800 is)

Further info about your display, resolution and freq may be useful

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

the same as Kevin , i dont know AMD but if your GPU software as it try " half refresh rate " if you dont like running your tv at 30hz i know i didnt like too much mouse lag for me 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Use AM both instances as 349525 and those other tips. Pausing is a P3D issue needing a hotfix.

Edited by 40track

8 minutes ago, 40track said:

Pausing is a P3D issue needing a hotfix.

Unproven. Facts to support this? Or an assumption because it’s the easiest option?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Unproven. Facts to support this? Or an assumption because it’s the easiest option?

Good point. Just hoping for a update later on.

Edited by 40track
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your advice!

I’ve tried the affinity mask so far, will experiment with the rest but so far improved results.

17 minutes ago, Republic DC9 said:

Thank you all for your advice!

I’ve tried the affinity mask so far, will experiment with the rest but so far improved results.

Try:

AM=1037653

P3Dcoreaffinitymask=251221

This will keep other P3D threads off your cores 0,2 and 4 and give a good number of terrain/scenery threads.  Any external apps should be corralled into cores 16-19 using process lassoo.

• Like 1

xaP1VAU.png

7 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Well, maybe to you. But there’s a bunch of people over here who don’t agree. 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=143918&sid=4bb4ffff4e22e48a22cb7d294ccff500&start=105

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

3 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Well, maybe to you. But there’s a bunch of people over here who don’t agree. 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6315&t=143918&sid=4bb4ffff4e22e48a22cb7d294ccff500&start=105

They may be right, I'm not saying they aren't, just that as a matter of pure fact no issue has yet been adequately proven to an extent to be accepted as a bug by LM.  Hence my description as unproven is exactly that.  Everything is hypothesis at present.

xaP1VAU.png

On 12/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, kevinfirth said:

Try:

AM=1037653

P3Dcoreaffinitymask=251221

This will keep other P3D threads off your cores 0,2 and 4 and give a good number of terrain/scenery threads.  Any external apps should be corralled into cores 16-19 using process lassoo.

Well, Kevin, I have to thank you I tried your AM settings quoted above and P3Dv5.3 is now a SILKY 60 FPS with almost no stutters (in other words, higher FPS and fewer pauses than MSFS in the same scenario) in Orbx TE Seattle and San Francisco at 200 knots plus when previously I had such a stuttery mess I went back to MSFS and XP11 just trying to get ONE of my 3 sims to behave graciously.

Perhaps your 10850K and my 10900K are similar processors use these same mask values and is the root cause of why you’re not seeing the struggles many of us have been?  Your “give a good number of terrain/scenery threads” might be a clue here.

In any case, thank you very much, your suggested affinity mask values have resulted in at least one very enjoyable night of smoothness in gorgeous Orbx scenery and Carenado P3D favorites.

Steve

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

P3Dv5.3 is now a SILKY 60 FPS with almost no stutters (in other words, higher FPS and fewer pauses

Happy to help, I was trained well by @SteveW 🙂

• Upvote 1

xaP1VAU.png