Sign in to follow this  
RichieFly

Kodiak throttle configuration help, please

I'm really liking the Kodiak. And, as with any add-on I grow attached to, I want my control setup to be perfect. I have one issue that's really bugging me.

Would someone offer a suggestion as to how to setup reverse thrust/beta range on a HOTAS Warthog throttle?

Here's what I've tried:

Map a button to 'Toggle Reverse Thrust' - does nothing.

Mapped cut-off detent button to 'Toggle Reverse Thrust' -- does nothing.

Use the ol' hold down F2  -- this works, in that it pegs reverse thrust.

Thanks for any insights and advice you could offer.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I doesn't have Kodiac, but try "Decrease Throttle" works with TBM and C-208, but only with full effect.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I can relate my experience with the Milviz PC-6 reverse thrust -- with the current build of MSFS I have to assign the below-detent area to "Decrease Thrust" -- and push the throttle below the detent and this goes FULL NELSON reverse thrust. No modulation possible.   This is with a Honeycomb Bravo, which has the areas below the detent mapped as buttons only.  That is why it goes full reverse, and that's expected.

But Pre-SU7 we could modulate by assigning a control to Toggle Reverse Thrust and then applying throttle normally.  This is not currently possible in the sim.  

It is only "Decrease Throttle" as Ixoye says, and as you are finding out with your testing.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks ya'll.

OK. I'll give up...again. This is one frustrating sim. Example, I was experimenting with different ideas and at some point, the mouse stopped working: every time I'd click something, the cursor would center in the screen. ffs

Again, thanks for your input.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

44 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

OK. I'll give up...again.

Actually, you were offered a solution:  Map a button to "Decrease Throttle"..

Elegant.. maybe not, functional, yes!

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

What is working OK for me with the turboprops right now and my Bravo is to set the throttle axis from 0-100%, then alter the sensitivity values so that most of the range of the throttle is in the forward direction with the last 10-20% being the Beta/Reverse range. For the settings I'm using now that (and the axis reversed for my Bravo) is + Sensitivity = -85% and the Neutral Setting = 80%. That gives me a linear forward throttle for most of the range with a short throw for the reverse range.

It makes the Beta/Reverse range very sensitive, so it's not optimal but after a little practice I've found it better (for me) than using the Decrease Throttle or Toggle Reverse options. Both of the other options do work for me, but I like to be able to at least reasonably fine tune the throttle while taxiing and this option right now is working reasonably well. It definitely requires some practice due to the sensitivity issues and if you're throttle doesn't have fine control my 2nd best option has been to use a Toggle Reverse button/key. It also means you can't just slam the throttle to the bottom stop or you are in full reverse so finding 'zero' throttle takes some practice or watching of the throttle in the cockpit.

If you're willing to do without full reverse throttle with the axis and use some other method you could probably alter the settings to be less sensitive in the Beta/Reverse range with some loss of the full 'throw' in reverse.

Hope this is of some value. There are probably some better settings that others might now; I'm still tweaking a little but I think this is what you are describing you are looking for.

If you use FSUIPC you can map the beta/reverse & feather ranges quite easily & line them up with detents in your hardware if you have them. I am however having some difficulty getting the condition lever low setting to match up with my lever detent with this aircraft.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

My solution was to map the throttle to the throttle ( of course) and then I mapped one of the buttons on the throttle to "Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust". Now I can retard the throttle to idle, and then click AND HOLD the button while advancing the throttle back forward. With the button held down, the advancing throttle gives you reverse thrust linear to the movement ( ie more forward throttle with the button held provides more reverse). Releasing the button returns the throttle to normal operation.

• Like 4

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

9 hours ago, GACSavannah said:

My solution was to map the throttle to the throttle ( of course) and then I mapped one of the buttons on the throttle to "Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust". Now I can retard the throttle to idle, and then click AND HOLD the button while advancing the throttle back forward. With the button held down, the advancing throttle gives you reverse thrust linear to the movement ( ie more forward throttle with the button held provides more reverse). Releasing the button returns the throttle to normal operation.

So there's no more "toggle" reverse thrust anymore? We must actually hold down a button now instead of just a click?

4 hours ago, hangar said:

So there's no more "toggle" reverse thrust anymore? We must actually hold down a button now instead of just a click?

I am not saying that the toggle is no more, simply that this solution worked well for me. It is actually more accurate anyway because with a real aircraft, once you have stowed and released the reverse levers, the reversers (on a jet) or reverse blade angle (On a turbo prop) are no longer active. It certainly makes it easier as well to discontinue the use of the reverse and continue taxing forward at the end of the landing roll.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Sorry guess i should have quoted Mace who said:

"But Pre-SU7 we could modulate by assigning a control to Toggle Reverse Thrust and then applying throttle normally.  This is not currently possible in the sim.  "

Edited by hangar

15 hours ago, GACSavannah said:

Can confirm this works great!  I have the Honeycomb TQ and have the TO-GA button assigned to "Hold Throttle Reverse Thrust'.  When at idle, just hold the button and increase the throttle!  You can use this when taxiing as well to get it into Beta just a bit instead of using your brakes. Works perfectly for a Turboprop!

• Like 4

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

For anyone with a TM Warthog HOTAS setup, I've worked out a means to set up the two independent thrust levers to act as condition lever and thrust lever quite elegantly. (if you have throttle/mixture/propeller hardware, disregard this of course!)

Unlatch the throttle link to give you independent thrust levers, go into the controls setup, map the lever of your choice to condition/mixture axis. I used the left lever because it is smaller.
Next, go into the axis sensitivity settings. Set parameters for that axis as follows:

Sensitivity- 1%
Sensitivity+ 1%
Deadzone 0%
Neutral 0%
Extremity deadzone 3% (this is the key setting to make this work)
Reactivity 100%

Then assign the cutoff gate 'button' (the one that you trigger by lifting the lever up and back) to the command for Mixture to lean.
The end result is that the axis at idle corresponds to the kodiak low idle gate, and full forward corresponds to kodiak condition lever full forward. You can then easily move between HI and LO idle without accidentally going to cut off. Then, when you want to shut down, lift/retard the lever back into the cut-off position and the engine will shut down. On start up, motor the engine and at >14% lift the lever out of the cutoff detent and the engine will come to life. Much easier that panning down to use the mouse on landing roll out!

Your exact sensitivity settings may differ, but this should get you into the ballpark. It worked for me on a brand new TM warthog but you might need to fine tune it. 

The other lever is now your thrust lever of course. Like others here, I added the thrust lever cutoff gate 'button' for that lever to the 'reduce thrust' (i.e. F2) command, so that it simulates going into reverse. As stated above, that will result in maximum reverse, which is not exactly realistic in all cases, but it makes you feel cool as all hell when you do it. 😆

For those times when max reverse is a little too showy, you can still assign one of the other buttons to the reduce thrust (F2) command, for those times when a little nuance is called for.

Anyway, hope this is of interest to any warthog owners out there. I really love this plane, the best GA release for MSFS2020 so far and I see myself putting many many hours on her.

• Like 2

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

How does that work out in a crosswind landing though (using 2 hands on throttle, instead of 1), where you need to keep 1 hand on the yoke for opposite aileron pressure while slowing? Is there a way to assign the reverse thrust toggle as a "toggle" instead of having to actually "hold" it?

Wasn't it SU7 that broke the Thrut Reverse options to begin with?? Unless you opted into the new Beta, it still shouldn't work, at least none of these options work for me yet.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders