Sign in to follow this  
CanadaOne

Track IR "technique"?

I love Track IR in what it can provide to the simmer...but tell me, what is your technique when using it? I seem to hit F12 a lot in order to keep my visual perspective. Is this what you do? I turn my head and everything is as it should be, but I find that I have to hit that F key frequently during a flight. Maybe that's the way it was designed to be!

Same here, I didn't realize how much I moved around when flying until getting track IR, but it also is beneficial using F12 as you can set specific head placements for the different phases of flight and center that view. For example, on takeoff I look up a bit, hit f12 to center that head position which allows a takeoff view for scanning the instruments when lowering my head slightly, and on landing I squat down a bit and hit f12 to make looking over the cowling a bit easier.Ian.

Whew! That makes me feel better. Thought I was the only one doing it.

>Whew! That makes me feel better. Thought I was the only one>doing it. >>I have the pause and re-center key commands mapped to my X45 throttle rocker bar. That way, with a squeeze of myhand I can re-center instantly or pause TIR4 briefly while I adjust/change a control in the VC. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I find I use the pause key most, mostly because I prefer the mouse look function for looking around during the enroute phase of flight. But for take off, and for flying the pattern before final approach you can't beat that little camera's utility.And incidently, those guys at TrackIR must be raking it in with all the talk about their device on this, and presumably other forums!Mike.

Mike Beckwith

I'm really interested in TrackIRI've seen many a threads regarding it.I only run with one LCD 19in monitor. What I don't understand is how can looking around allow you to still see your monitor? If you look left, you'll be looking at something else, unless you have 3 monitors.Does it really work like everyone says? I wish I could try it myself, too bad they don't sell it in stores. 200 bucks is a lot to spend if it doesn't work out.The neat thing is - everyone that gets it seems to REALLY enjoy it, saying they'll never go back etc. If you buy it will it work in FS9 and FSX, or do you have to pay more for an FSX version?Thanks for any comments

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest DocW

>I only run with one LCD 19in monitor. What I don't understand>is how can looking around allow you to still see your monitor?> If you look left, you'll be looking at something else, unless>you have 3 monitors.you make very subtle head movements, which are translated into larger in-sim movements. This works very well and you become used to it instantly. It works great that way. Remeber that you move your mouse only for inches as well to cover the whole 19 inches Monitor.>The neat thing is - everyone that gets it seems to REALLY>enjoy it, saying they'll never go back etc. If you buy it>will it work in FS9 and FSX, or do you have to pay more for an>FSX version?No, it works in both. I actually never read a thread where some tried TrackIR and said that he or she did not like it. It changes your way of simming and once you have tried it, you never want to miss it again. It is one of the most substantial contributions since the inventment of the mouse.I understand the budget-concerns, but on the long run, you won't regret it.

Some time in the future I want to build a room with a 360* circle of white wall and then in the center have a chair with a projector over head. Then when ever you turned your head the projector would move in the same direction so your eyes are always on the screen. TrackIr just seems silly when you have to move your head away from the screen. Do you think this would work - has anyone tryed anything like this? I'm not sure how you would make the projector move - perhaps just attach it to a rotating chair - then when you turn your chair the screen would move. Anyways, this is just my brain going off with crazy ideas. I guess you could also just use the 3d virtual helmet/glasses - but thats not as cool.

Guest rap777

Hi !I mapped it to my voice command file!This works amazingly well. I have 100% recogniton with VAC speech recognition engine (which uses the native Vista speech engine).I know there is an XP version of VAC as well but I have not tried that one as I just recently moved to Vista.Kind regards adn God blessAlfred

I changed the Pause key to ENTER - it's a bigger target to hit when the cockpit is very busy. And you always know where Enter is, as opposed to F12 which you always have to briefly look for...PAUSE is vital tool if you can't keep your head totally still to adjust the MCP knobs. I use it a lot.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hello Ryan, hope your well?TrackIR works by an infra red camera sitting on the top of your monitor that collects the reflections from the vector on your cap or the clip attached to your headphones.Take a look at the Natural Point website for info and video's for all your questions answers.The virtual head amplifies the movements of YOUR head e.g. when you move your head to looking at 'say' the edge of your monitor the 'virtual' head is looking at the rear of your aircraft.Jeff Greth's video's on www.fsaddon.com and the Vancouver+ scenery with TrackIR3 best shows it's potential.Like the others have said, it's the best bit of hardware EVER designed for Flight Sim..................Full stop!!........And its a heck of a lot cheaper than a cockpit in your garage as it puts you IN the cockpit of the aircraft you are flying.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hello"TrackIr just seems silly" when you have to move your head away from the screen.What makes you think that you must move your head away from the screen?You only move yur head a fraction and the view pans a much greater difference.YOU ARE ALWAYS LOOKING AT THE SCREEN, why is this so hard for folks to visualise?

Guest Solex_nl
a developer from trackir, explaining how it works.buy it, you will love it.

Guest allcott

A point to stress, if you are watching videos and animations is that TrackIR is purely a first-person device - it simply cannot show you how good it is unless you put it on your head and pan with it. I am sure i am not the only one who finds watching movies of others using TrackIR to be intensely irritating - because they're not looking in the direction I would be looking at that moment:)Allcott

>A point to stress, if you are watching videos and animations>is that TrackIR is purely a first-person device - it simply>cannot show you how good it is unless you put it on>your head and pan with it. >>I am sure i am not the only one who finds watching movies of>others using TrackIR to be intensely irritating - because>they're not looking in the direction I would be looking at>that moment:)>>AllcottTotally agree. A couple of days ago after a 2 hr r/w flight in a C172, I came home with the PIC in tow to show him my flight simulator. He had never seen a setup with yoke, pedals etc.When I demonstrated the TIR Pro, he looked at me strangely and said he was getting quite disorientated and dizzy from watching all the movement in the screen.Once I got him in the seat and trying out the sim, controls and the TIR, he was hooked. He tried it with and without and was convinced that with, was the way to go. He now wants me to set him up with a whole system identical to mine.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Core 2 Duo E6700ASUS P5N32-E SLI Deluxe Motherboard4GB Corsair VS DDR2 667Mhz RAMInno3D 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 590MHz VideoASUS MW221u 21" Wide Screen LCD2 x 320Gb WD SATA DrivesCreative X-Fi Platinum Sound Lian Li PC-B20B Aluminium Black CaseMS Vista Ultimate OEMCH FlightSim Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBTrackIR 4 Pro and Track ClipMSFS FSX Deluxe Edition Full install at 1400x960x32Check out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html