Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

This is the best thatFSX has to offer?.

>Hi,>>What I have right now is a start, It still needs more work.>>This is what was changed in my FSX.CFG file>>1. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=325>>2. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.90>>3. AFFINITY_MASK=3>>4. LOD_RADIUS=8.000000>>Thank you very much, Michael!!! I told ya that it was due to some settings. Now I'll try the above on a similar machine. Thank you very much for earnest desire to improve and posting it.

hah! ACtually Larry, it would be nice to see the FSX caravan's VC with the FS9's terrain etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

apparently you haven't been following this thread lol...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Where is this fsx.cfg file that contains this data located?I did a file search for it and came up empty?TIA

RE Thomason Jr.

Default is:C:Documents and Settings(YOUR USER NAME)Application DataMicrosoftFSXMake sure you have selected 'show hidden files and folders' in explorer.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Let's not get into the fs9/fsx wars once again-if you like fs9 better great--------------------------Absolutely, Geofa! My post was in no way intended to 'troll' for flame outs, :)I merely voiced my opinion.I'm not saying the FEATURES of FSX are deficit. Just the overall flying environment and look to the virtual world. Oh, to be clear, the flying environment in respects to visual, and not aerodynamic.Again, this is only my one opinion amongst hundreds within this forum.Consider it 'vocal' musings...I must say though that SP1 REALLY DELIVERED on my single core 3.4 Ghz. Back slaps to all of Phil's team. They sure delivered the performance!!! I was/am running low 20's with all scenery sliders maxed except water at 2mid, weather at default settings, and for traffic, all A.I. at full right with 20 percent for road, 50 percent for ships, and 50 percent also for boats (pleasure craft).Again, most impressive.I'll stick with FS9 for my personal viewpoint/preferences and reasoning's.Carry on!Mitch'er

Hi Larry! ;)I hear ya, loud and clear.For you, FSX works out very well, and more power to ya!I like the feature sets, Larry, but the color scheme of the graphics does nothing to suspend disbelief and make me feel immersed and part of the rendered scene in such a way that FS9 does.I find it so easy to let my mind go with the flow within FS9 and actually start to feel that I am in the environment.FSX as it is now, even post SP1, does not do this for me.Another poster to this thread said; 'whatever floats your boat'. That is succinct and true.We are fortunate to have two viable oceans to ' boat on'. :)I think FS9 and FSX (and its progeny) will co-exist for many years to comeCheers!Mitch

Can anyone tell me how the affinity_mask setting can do anything but decrease performance? Isn't the point of that setting to disable multicore support and negate the entire point of sp1?________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest JSPuonti

>>Turn your visibility down. It's more realistic. I know you're>>a real life pilot but how often can you see all the way to a>>150nm horizon ?>>Which line in fsx.cfg controls visibility? How do you notch it>down? I'm using real weather so customized weather ui is not>available. In fs9.cfg there is a line that I usually set to>49000.I'd like to know the answer to this aswell. We no longer have a visibility slider in FSX's weather settings, so which line should we add to or edit in fsx.cfg to control the maximum visible distance? Setting up custom weather is not an option for me, either, as I use real weather just like the poster above.

>>> So what's your point? If you don't like it then simply>uninstall>> it.>> CraigYou should fully read a thread before posting a reply. Mike asked for help, and he managed to get things looking a lot better.

glad to see your problem fixed there Mike :Di am a believer that these sort of problems will simply disappear 1 or 2 years from now as hardware advances. Also there will be add on packs to improve the overall look and that's when we can tap into what FSX can truly offer as a platform.

>1. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=325 (30 Default)...gives more headroom to the texture engines....>2. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.90 (0.33 Default)...gives more headroom to the graphics/terrain engine....>3. AFFINITY_MASK=3 (N/A - Automatic by default)...requests that FSX only use (2) cores on a multi-core system...(Keeping 2 cores free on your particular computer)Did you happen to try setting this to 7 (3-cores) instead of 3 (2-cores)? I'm wondering if you can give it one more core of your quad, which would still leave you with the final core for any other tasks. >4. LOD_RADIUS=8.000000 (4.50000 Max set by sliders) ...kicks the LOD Radius out nearly double it's default size!

>hah! ACtually Larry, it would be nice to see the FSX>caravan's VC with the FS9's terrain etcWith the exception of a few too many white deserts :D, I much prefer the mountainous terrain of FSX. Afterall, nearly all of my flight simming is within areas with rising terrain. FSX has much clearer textures closer up, which somehow adds to the sense of depth and 3D look.I'd be happier if all of FS9 looked like "Glacier Bay", which of course it doesn't; but I could imagine the even Glacier Bay would look great in FSX with higher resolution textures, if the frame rates can handle it. MegaScenery is stunning in FSX with no fps hit.L.Adamson

Is this the best that FSX has to offer?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171855.jpgFSX + SP1 + Horizon scenery + Shockwave P51H.Does autogen really add more realism? Once you get over 1500 ft with this scenery, photo-realistic scenery buildings and trees look more realistic than autogen. But that's just my opinion...Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals