Sign in to follow this  
JDWalley

This is the best thatFSX has to offer?.

>I'm still not running SP-1. However, I've never done any>tweaking whatsoever to FSX. My flights are as clear as the two>in these screenshots, and have never been the blurred mess as>in your second photo. I now use FSGenesis, and have moved>water effects uo a few notches.>>L.Adamson Athlon 64 3800/2Gig/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/>1600*1200*32>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171895.jpg>>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171896.jpg>I don't want to spoil the fun but there are blurries in your shot can even drawn the boundaries... :-lolAndr

André

>I'm still not running SP-1. However, I've never done any>tweaking whatsoever to FSX. My flights are as clear as the two>in these screenshots, and have never been the blurred mess as>in your second photo. I now use FSGenesis, and have moved>water effects uo a few notches.>Beautiful pictures btw, good job by your system. For me flying EagleSoft BJ400A 1.5 every frame counts, that's why I installed SP1 and am tweaking tweaking tweaking it to death. More complex add-on planes will demand even more.

I loved your SM260 shot looks pretty darned good to me.There is a lesson to be learned from this entire post.FSX is a new born baby (only a couple of days old if you think of SP1 as the real FSX) whilst FS9 is old enough to experience Senior's moments. We all need to learn how to talk to this newborn and some of us can recall that FS9 wasn't exactly great at birth either. The difference is the potential of the two products. I use FSX because, like it or not, it is the future and I want to watch it grow up just as I did for all previous flightsims back to Bruce Artwick and my Amiga of many years ago.I'll warrant that in 18 months there will be very few stalwart FS9 users around compared to FSX users winging there way around the world on their Octet CPU chips and ultra fast graphics cards giving full cry to DX10. Let's treat our new baby with a little TLC and not throw it against the wall because it can't talk a day after birth. It is still dirtying its nappies/diapers of that there can be no doubt but don't tip the baby out with the bath water.This post is a great example of how many willing foster parents are available.John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

>Hi,>>What I have right now is a start, It still needs more work.>>This is what was changed in my FSX.CFG file>>1. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=325>>2. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.90>>3. AFFINITY_MASK=3>>4. LOD_RADIUS=8.000000>>I tried all of these settings and although it helped a bit, it cut my frame rate in half. With the LOD_RADIUS set to 6.5 fsx crashed within 15 seconds with an OOM error :/I am seeing that i can get close to pre-sp1 texture resolution but with a frame rate that was lower than pre-sp1 so that kind of defeats the purpose of sp1. I have also had more crashes since sp1 than i have had in the entire 6 months previous to it. Perhaps i will slap in my test hard drive tomorrow with vista on it and install fsx to it clean and redo sp1 just to rule out a bad sp1 install. I am also going to boot into my xp array (sigh) and update that install of fsx with sp1 and see if it exhibits the same behavior as the vista array.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Hi,What I have right now is a start, It still needs more work.This is what was changed in my FSX.CFG file1. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=3252. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.903. AFFINITY_MASK=34. LOD_RADIUS=8.000000Can anybody please tell me, in which section ion the CFG file those inputs have to go?many thanksDaniel

Guest rob747

Fellow SimmersMy PC has more processing power than what it took to land a space ship on the moon. More processing power than an Airbus. So why on earth can't we display a texture in sharp resolution?? I'm entitled to my opinion and my opinion is I'm really struggling to see where we have moved forward since FS9. Like everyone here I so wanted FSX to be fantastic. I would be so much happier now with just a slightly improved version of FS9 - few extra bells and whistles without reinventing the wheel. I'm sorry but this just is not good enough and I think in a few years time when we look back again (hopefully) at the various FS versions we will put FSX down as one of the bad ones. We should not have to "experiment" for days on end to get something working that worked two versions ago! I don't like being pessimistic but right now I can't think positive at all about it. I've been buying flight sim since the original wire frame versions and this just has to be the biggest disappointment.Aces, please acknowledge the new problems at least - give us some faith back in our religion which is flight simulator. Give us comfort in the fact that you are working on the situation. If we can't solve bluries, stutters and popups a lot of users are going to get disillusioned quickly.Thanks for listening.

Guest JSPuonti

>>Turn your visibility down. It's more realistic. I know you're>>a real life pilot but how often can you see all the way to a>>150nm horizon ?>>Which line in fsx.cfg controls visibility? How do you notch it>down? I'm using real weather so customized weather ui is not>available. In fs9.cfg there is a line that I usually set to>49000.I am still holding short for an answer to this question - flyhalf, if you happen to see this message, please spread the wisdom around. Others are welcome to do the same, of course, if you happen to know how to achieve the above.In short and to reiterate: what do you have to add to fsx.cfg to limit the maximum visible distance in FSX, now that we don't have a visibility slider as we did in FS9?Thanks.PS.Custom weather is not an option since I use real-world weather.

Guest jshyluk

@ Mike: we are talking about two completely different things that together relate on how to capture a good screenshot. You are attacking the issue from the systems end. I am working on it from the compositional end. I think it's a bit of a red herring to suggest that composition will fix system issues and vice versa. I guess I could have made the preface to my posting clearer. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

You know, I've seen you post this same comparison in both the FS2004 and FSX forums, and find myself scratching my head, because a quick glance at both screenshots makes it clear that FSX is vastly more realistic-looking than FS9.To start off, look at the curve on the panel top. On FSX, it's a smooth curve, on FS9, it has "points" where each of the polygons of the model joins the other. Unless the real-life Caravan is a very unusual plane, it doesn't come with such points as standard equipment.Second, check out the instruments. The FS9 version makes them look like they were painted on flat pieces of cardboard, then glued to the panel. On FSX, they are presented with texture and depth. For that matter, both the panel metal itself and the door look much more realistic in FSX.The only place where FS9 wins out, from those shots, is in the nicely detailed clouds. However, since the FSX shot is of a sky without any clouds at all, you're comparing apples to oranges here, as you also are on the terrain (which is barely visible in the FS9 shot).And, before you dismiss me as a FSX "a really excited user," I would point out that I don't even have FSX installed on my system yet (although this comparison may be enough to make me "take the plunge"). But I can't see how anyone can look at those two shots and not conclude that it's the FSX image that is far more realistic and lifelike, while it's the FS9 shot that looks "cartoony."

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Never noticed it before but the US marking on right wing of the SF 260 appears to be mirrored? Is that a special arobatics paint scheme or is a small error?How about that I see those screenshots almost every day but I never noticed it before ;)

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

>>>Aces, please acknowledge the new problems at least - give us>some faith back in our religion which is flight simulator. >Give us comfort in the fact that you are working on the>situation. If we can't solve bluries, stutters and popups a>lot of users are going to get disillusioned quickly.>>Thanks for listening.>Aces is probably on a very well deserved vacation right now. Yes there are problems with the patch but things are much faster now and more efficient all in all. They will chime in at some point but with any luck they are sitting on a beach somewhere drinking a pina colada until this time next week. Then I expect they will start addressing these rampant blurry issues.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>Then I expect they will start addressing these rampant blurry>issues.Unfortunately, I think, they will not. There's DX10 update in the pipe that will take their 300% workpower. Of course they will be dealing with the same principal problems, but in DX10 refraction in the first place. For enthusiasts I'd recommend to start saving money for the new DX10 video card upgrade this fall instead. What really kills me is the necessaty to upgrade to VISTA to be able to enjoy their next commercial DX10 upgrade. Unless there's some very easy hotfix (which I really doubt), FSX SP1 is carved in stone, no more free patches. In the best case, the next step will require to upgrade hardware, OS and DX10.

Well I am not having the best of luck in vista with fsx myself. All of my other games run stellar, but fsx is the only problem child in vista. It runs great and is smoother than it is in xp, but it ctd's a lot with OOM errors, i get random full blurries where it looks like the card just runs out of texture memory, and yesterday i got my first ntvlmm something or other error where the nvidia driver stopped responding and reset itself while i was flying in fsx. The video driver completely died and the machine rebooted itself. This is the first time this has ever happened. I only get these issues in vista with fsx unfortunately. The patch has definitely made things smoother and so far with the new nvidia driver the blurries are better (knock on wood) but there are about twice the level of crashes now than there were pre-sp1. :(I do think they will address the blurry issues and come up with something for the multitude of people experiencing this problem.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Try adding the line that is described in this link. Their is also a thread in the Avsim forums Subject: "tired of the blurries in FSX?". Adding this line greatly improved the blurries for me. Granted i am not running any autogen. I got used to not running it with Ultimate Terrain. http://www.uk2000scenery.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=267.0

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Mike CFII MELNo that is not the best FSX has to offer.I also have one of the highest end computes that is very simular to yours. My computer has the Intel D-Core 2 DUO Extreme QX6700 8M Processors clocking at 2.66 overclocked at 3.20Ghz. It also has 4, 1 Gig sticks of RAM 1066 GHz, GEFORCE 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI Cards, water cooled and VISTA Home Premium.I say all this because right out of the Computer box my FSX/SP1 looks like your pictures after you did the tweaks to the .cfg and I have not added any tweaks.I also can run all sliders maxed out as per your picture above (minus anti-alias checked) but also learned like many that have posted above that MAX in some areas does nothing. ACES also says on their BLOG's that MAX sliders are future settings and can tax the current machine. I also run all animated Living World scenery maxed out including importing all my AI Plane traffic and their Flightplans. I have yet to bogg the FPS down anywhere in the world and locked them to 20.The best drivers from NVIDA are the older 7.15.11.59 8800 GTX for VISTA. NVIDA is still trying to iron out timing issues they encountered with newer version drivers.I am just wondering out loud if you are treating symptoms with the cfg tweaks and not the cause of the problem. I can attest that if the computer is setup and the GTX8800's running SLI mode with the right settings in the control panel for the older drivers, FSX is a very enjoyable flying experence. I also realize every computer has a personality and for some the tweaks are needed.