Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

How to install FS2020 on a different PC

I have MSFS2020 classic installed on a PC.

I now want to update to a brand new faster PC  but how do I download FS2020 onto the new PC.

I have searched here but was not able to find the answer.

I have logged onto the MS store but could not work out how to do it. I have my FS2020 username, email address and password.

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

My internet is so slow there's no way I could ever face redownloading the sim each time. 

What I do instead is start the install on the new PC, you'll already own it in the MS Store so click on 'Library' to find it in your owned list, start the install then stop it after a short time and delete everything in the Onestore folder that's inside the Official folder. 

I copy and paste all the files in the same folder on the old PC, paste them in the new one and start the sim again on the new computer.

It works absolutely fine, it doesn't verifiy files or anything, it just starts as normal, and takes 30-60 minutes of copy and pasting rather than several days. 

• Like 1

Thanks that is a great idea.

HOWEVER I cannot work out what I need to do to even start the install on the new. I never had any problems when I first purchased and downloaded 12 months ago.

I started the Microsoft Store app and looked everywhere but could only find how to purchase a new copy.

Can you give a step by step process as it looks different from what I remember. I can't even get it to display my store/fs username eg MrDarcynnnn   (nnnn left off for security)

John

2 minutes ago, Jarnie said:

Thanks that is a great idea.

HOWEVER I cannot work out what I need to do to even start the install on the new. I never had any problems when I first purchased and downloaded 12 months ago.

I started the Microsoft Store app and looked everywhere but could only find how to purchase a new copy.

Can you give a step by step process as it looks different from what I remember. I can't even get it to display my store/fs username eg MrDarcynnnn   (nnnn left off for security)

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/20361-install-your-apps-my-library-store-windows-10-a.html

• Like 1

Thanks   I never found that link when I (Google) searched "how to install FS2020".

Anyway I now got to where I can select my previously purchased products and attempted to download and it seems that Microsoft remembers my other PC (name) - where do you want to install displays only my old PC - and I cannot work out how to "tell" Microsoft that I have a different PC where I can download it to.

How do I 'register' my new PC so that I can choose it to download to?

I think I am now onto this.

Wow Microsoft makes us users JUMP THROUGH HOOPS. Never had so much trouble installing software on a different PC.

Edited by Jarnie
add last sentence

John

Well now  it turns out that "I am now onto this" was a bit premature.

When I go to My Library in Microsoft Store, select FS2020 Standard (the version I own) and select 'manage',  It then displays "INSTALL" greyed out so cannot be selected so I click on the 3 dots and select "Install on my devices" and it then displays a window "where do you want it installed" BUT there are no devices listed.

I have 'registered' the new PC with Microsoft and can display it as a device elsewhere

Does anyone know what I should now do?

Edited by Jarnie
typo

John

Did you uninstall MSFS from your laptop?

Settings -> Apps -> Apps & features on Win11. Should be something similar on Win10.

...jim

PS. The reason I ask is that I believe MSFS 2020 is one of those MS Store apps that can be installed on only one device at a time. Therefore, to install it on a new device, one must first uninstall it from the old device.

Edited by JimBrown

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

1 hour ago, JimBrown said:

PS. The reason I ask is that I believe MSFS 2020 is one of those MS Store apps that can be installed on only one device at a time. Therefore, to install it on a new device, one must first uninstall it from the old device.

I've got it on three machines. They all seem content enough. 

You must 'register' the new version of windows on your new PC, with your existing MicroSoft account.  It may take a day or two, but once the new hardware is registered with your new Windows 10 (or 11), you can re-download it from the MicroSoft Store.  It can exist on multiple PC/hardware, but can be used only one at a time.

I did exactly what your doing this past summer - new Case, MB, CPU, Memory and main M.2 SSD.  The only thing I brought forward was my RTX 3070.  The main thing is get your new OS installed and stable with all updates available, THEN install or re-install owned software.

Post your new specs in your Signature (for us hardware geeks 🙂

Asus Z590 P, Intel i7 10700k, 64gb RAM(3200), nVidia RTX 4070 FE,  Windows 10 (21H1), 2tb M.2 nvme ssd,

Samsung QN43QN90BA 43" 4K@120hz, Bose Companion 5 speakers, Velocity One Flight Yoke/Quad.

Thanks everyone,

Not sure what you meant by registering NEW VERSION of Windows. Would both my PCs have the same version of Windows? Maybe it has and I just have to wait a couple of days.

BTW while most of you aren't there yet Happy Christmas (I am here in Sydney as I type) and thanks again for your responses which are all appreciated.

John

John

Can someone explain this for me please as I am completely stumped

My Microsoft account has 'registered' my new device (see attached image - nice name eh?) yet when I try to download FS2020 it does not display any devices to install to.

Actually I cannot find how to attach or insert an image so it (small jpg file) can be downloaded from

https://mega.nz/file/6phUlaBD#2yERf2Cu3oQEvN1e9Yxb10ebjmt38iyHGn2j2Z2oDSA

John

12 hours ago, superspud said:

I've got it on three machines. They all seem content enough. 

7 hours ago, michaelst7 said:

It can exist on multiple PC/hardware, but can be used only one at a time.

I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, Jarnie said:

My Microsoft account has 'registered' my new device

Next question is, is the new copy of Windows actually "Activated"? One would think so since it shows up as a device in the pic you linked to. But, just to make sure, go to Settings, Update & Security, Activation and see if it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

Also make sure that all updates have been applied, both in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update, and in the MS Store.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Thanks HEAPS JIm.

My installation had been activated BUT when I selected to check for updates there were 3 including what must have been a HUGE one as it took 'forever' to download and start installation and there were a number of restarts along the way where I had to actually click on 'restart' (not automatic)./

Anyway once all that was complete I found that I now seem to be able to download FS2020 and that is happening now.

I think what has happened is that the PC was one my daughter recently gave me as it was misbehaving and so she bought a new one and gave me her old one. IT only had W8 on it so I installed W10 and didn't do anything with it until today when I decided to download FS2020 onto it. Maybe I had never checked for updates and so it was never fully installed.

Now I must tell you the reason why I wanted to install FS2020 onto it as it is a slower PC than what I use FS2020 on.

Recently I wanted to take copies of certain folders so that I could make modifications so that the C172, which has 3 undercarriage variants, for AI flights and every time I tried to COPY FROM the FS2020 installation (any folder, any file) as soon as I did the 'paste' into another drive I would get the error  "your organisation does not allow you to place this file here". I can copy any file TO any folder inside FS2020 but cannot copy FROM. How crazy is that? I could ever edit a (text) file (eg aircraft.cfg) and update the file but not copy FROM.

I want to make copies as backups should I make a mistake and much up something.

I then thought that perhaps if I install on a different PC then I could take backup copies from that - well that's the theory, I just hope it works as many other users (of FS2020) have advised that they can copy FROM.

It has been a very long and frustrating process to get this far.

John

I'm on the Steam version so have not run into that issue. However, I have read about the issue with the MS Store version.

My understanding is that if the MSFS data is not installed to the default location, the issue goes away. So, on the first run of MSFS, when it gets to the "Checking for Updates" screen and it then prompts you to download all those GB's of data, down on the lower right you want to click on the "Browse" button and select a different location to install the data to, such as "C:\FlightSim", or if you have a second drive, "D:\FlightSim". Once that is done and all the data is installed, you should be able to copy from those folders.

I did just that on my Steam installation because I did not want all that data on my C drive, I wanted it on my G drive.

Also, if you ever have to do a re-installation on your original system, you would want to do the same thing.

...jim