Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

JWST Countdown.

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/countdown.html

I think That's 12:20 GMT space fans! Its going to be  a nail biter. 

JWST Is Launching on December 25th

The much-anticipated launch of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is scheduled around 7:20 am EST on December 25, 2021. JWST, NASA's next flagship infrared observatory, developed in partnership with ESA and CSA, will launch from Europe's Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. Following observatory deployment and the alignment and calibration of the mirrors and instruments, JWST will be ready for science operations in summer of 2022.

Accessible to the worldwide scientific community, it will offer scientists the opportunity to observe galaxy evolution, the formation of stars and planets, exoplanetary systems, and our own solar system, in ways never before possible. This website offers scientists information on proposing for time on JWST as well as the capabilities of the observatory's instruments and modes, data analysis tools and software, and news and events.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 4

God, I hope this goes well. So much to explore and so much to learn. Cosmology has always fascinated me since I was just a young pup. Go JWST.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

God, I hope this goes well.

I know, a real nail biter. Decades of work and it all comes down to the few minutes of launch. Web will revolutionize our understanding of the cosmos. It will be able to see back  13.7 billion years. 

Web will also be pointed at the planets in our solar system and places like the Kuiper Belt. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I know, a real nail biter. Decades of work and it all comes down to the few minutes of launch. Web will revolutionize our understanding of the cosmos. It will be able to see back  13.7 billion years. 

Web will also be pointed at the planets in our solar system and places like the Kuiper Belt. 

I wonder if it will be able to give us any additional information on exoplanets, for example those around Proxima Centauri?

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

I wonder if it will be able to give us any additional information on exoplanets, for example those around Proxima Centauri?

Oh yes, one of its main priorities will be to study the atmospheres of exoplanets. 

https://www.france24.com/en/technology/20211210-james-webb-space-telescope-set-to-launch-on-hunt-for-earth-like-exoplanets

• Like 1

Was just about to come and post as I sit here watching the video but Martin beat me to it!!!

Sooo excited for this.  It may be a few billion and a few years overdue but the potential to see the universe differently is a pretty big undertaking...  

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you and yours Martin! 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

24 minutes ago, psolk said:

Was just about to come and post as I sit here watching the video but Martin beat me to it!!!

That's because I have the reflexes of a cat. 😺

6 minutes to go. 

We will be able to see 3.7 billion years back in time to just after the hot big bang. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

I just gave a thumbs up back to that lady on screen LOL!!!!

90 seconds to go!!!

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

2 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Phew! So far so good

Every time that French guy screams something out it sounds like something has gone wrong LOL   Not the most comforting voice 😂

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

12 minutes ago, psolk said:

I just gave a thumbs up back to that lady on screen LOL!!!!

90 seconds to go!!!

Hey!  Don't you flirt with my sweetie! 😄

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Hey!  Don't you flirt with my sweetie! 😄

Do you think she'd fancy a 63 year old recovering from a certain virus, that likes cats?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Do you think she'd fancy a 63 year old recovering from a certain virus, that likes cats?

Doubt it!  She winked at me! 😜

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: