Sign in to follow this  
GaryGB

Batch convert AF2 to FSX

Guest grapesh

Hiis there a batch version of NewBglAnalyze program that is required for fs92fsx converter for AFCads? I want to use my old AFCads with FSX and it looks quite painful to do it one by one.Thanks! =S.V.=

I know of no batch converter for that.Your best bet seems to be SDE, which is not quite ready yet.It will load in FS9 (afcad) bgls and enable saving to fsx bgl.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest grapesh

Thx Mace,maybe I should ask the author of NewBglAnalyze (a german guy) to provide a batch option? It is just too many AFCads sitting there waiting to be used in FSX! By the way, here is my rant that you can't make symbolic links under Windows, so you have to duplicate aircraft folders, traffic files etc if you have both fs9 and fsx :(Cheers =S.V.=

I'm not too familiar with FS92FSX converter but I do know that not all decompilers are the same.I think there are things that NewBglAnalyzeX does not decompile, that BGL2XML does decompile, and vice-versa.So really your conversions might have things missing.The only sure way is to decompile the AFCAD and manually edit the xml and make sure everything's there.Like I said, SDE looks promising...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Hi S.V.:"Windows 2000 and higher (XP) supports directory symbolic links, where a directory serves as a symbolic link to another directory on the computer."I haven't had time to try this yet, but perhaps one might try this out with shared FSX and FS9 folder locations for aircraft etc.:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...k/Junction.mspxIf you (or others) try it, please post back here as to how it works with FS.As for AF2 files, the manual 1-by-1 approach may initially be the best for detailing individual needs of each airport. However, after doing a few in detail, it is possible that a pattern of what is most often needed may emerge, and a batch routine may eventually prove feasible for most airports (be sure to keep backups of your original *.AF2 BGLs just in case they are needed for further individual tweaking!).One might wonder if an automated correction of FSX airports still showing incorrect elevations (and even flattens affecting both the airport and its immediate surrounding terrain) might also be achieved using appropriate merge data files in combination with a sophisticated keyboard/mouse macro facility.Hope this helps!:-) GaryGB

Guest grapesh

Gary:>If you (or others) try it, please post back here as to how it>works with FS.Hmm, interesting, I'm gonna try it maybe tonight, might save a LOT of disk space if you have both FSX and FS9 installed>>As for AF2 files, the manual 1-by-1 approach may initially be>the best for detailing individual needs of each airport. I have all PAI AFCads for major hubs plus my own work for GA airports in FS9. Most of them are just to accommodate AI traffic. I wonder how much work needs to be done to make them fully compatible for FSX.Mace:I was out of the loop for the last 4.5 months (exactly the age of my son :) ) What is SDE?Cheers!=S.V.=

>>Mace:>>I was out of the loop for the last 4.5 months (exactly the age>of my son :) ) What is SDE?>>Cheers!>>=S.V.=SDE and FSXPlanner are two AFCAD-replacements for FSX.Both are in beta form right now.I think both of them are going to end up being even more powerful than AFCAD was. Things are looking up! :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Guest grapesh

Report on using Junction: it works! Saved me 4.7G disk space taken by PAI, UGA, and other AI planes. That's what I did:1. Got junction.exe, saved it in "C:Program Files"2. In FSX folder, in SimObjects, created "AI_Aircraft" folder3. In "C:Documents and SettingsOwnerApplication DataMicrosoftFSXfsx.CFG", added line in section "Main" SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjectsAI_Aircraft4. Created batch file with lines like this:"C:Program Filesjunction.exe" "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XSimObjectsAI_AircraftAI Beechcraft BE36" "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9AircraftAI Beechcraft BE36"for every AI plane. I used Matlab, but you can use any script language with directory listing capability to create this batch. I can share mine which has almost ALL good old PAI planes and all UGA planes. If you don't have some models, it just won't create the link (it shouldn't stumble though...). 5. Executed batch file6. Started FSX, and found all my PAI traffic!WARNING: unlike UNIX symbolic links, removal of junction in Windows Explorer will remove the target folder too!I also linked some flyables but it is more tedious to link their gauges and effects, and after all, they might be incompatible with FSX anyway. Cheers

Excellent... Thanks for the follow-up info!:-) GaryGB