Sign in to follow this  
Flyinggok

New GPU Usage Policy in 5.3?

Hey,

is there something I missed.

Finished my upgrade (clean install) to 5.3 HF1 today and see, that my GPU is always at a 100% load.

Does anybody know something?

That wasnt the case in 5.2 for me :-/

Cheers

Bernd

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

28%-35% here with 2080TI. Some spikes ere and there but nice and calm. CPU also ok and I left default on 10700K. so far so good after initial flight CTD (not sure what happened). Other than that so far best performance LM ever made. So, few more flights to see if anything else is missing (except ChasePlane for now).

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

4 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

(except ChasePlane for now).

You are behind the times! Fixed today.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 minute ago, IanHarrison said:

You are behind the times! Fixed today.

Yeah...I just found out on next topic.....Thanks

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

3 hours ago, Flyinggok said:

Hey,

is there something I missed.

Finished my upgrade (clean install) to 5.3 HF1 today and see, that my GPU is always at a 100% load.

Does anybody know something?

That wasnt the case in 5.2 for me 😕

Cheers

Bernd

Have you updated your video drivers lately? I had the same problem running the newest Nvidia drivers. I downgraded to the 471.96 drivers and am back to normal usage rates (30-70%).

Cleared shaders?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Nope, everything same setup as in 5.2. Same settings same nvidia Settings.

Shader cleared. I had the same "problem" in the past moving from 5.1 to 5.2 too, but cant remember what fixed it :D haha

Cheers,
Bernd🌈✈️

Deleted

Gérard

Edited by gaab
Error in reading to topic title

Isn't a maxed out GPU the goal? Meaning P3D is taking full advantage of your GPU's capacity to deliver the best performance your hardware can give you? That was an issue with P3D in earlier versions when it wasted potential by neglecting much of the GPU. Video games these days are designed to take as much out of the GPU as possible. Otherwise it's wasted potential and worse performance.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

The goal is to have sufficient overhead and margin to maintain a desired FPS in situations that are very demanding on the GPU (lighting effects, AA, high resolution, shadows, etc.).

If you are in a situation where you are CPU limited (complex airliners and scenery) or when you limit the FPS to below what you get at unlimited FPS, your GPU will have less work to do, so why should it maximize its power?  That would only generate redundant heat and consume more electric power (and shorten the lifespan).

5 hours ago, Afterburner said:

The goal is to have sufficient overhead and margin to maintain a desired FPS in situations that are very demanding on the GPU (lighting effects, AA, high resolution, shadows, etc.).

If you are in a situation where you are CPU limited (complex airliners and scenery) or when you limit the FPS to below what you get at unlimited FPS, your GPU will have less work to do, so why should it maximize its power?  That would only generate redundant heat and consume more electric power (and shorten the lifespan).

What I mean isn't that the GPU should be at 100% even if the workload doesn't necessitate a utilization that high, but that it should be utilized to its max when workload is high (GPU bound workload) so your GPU's full potential is used. Of course it shouldn't be at 100% when it has close to nothing to do, but that's not how I understood the thread.

I don't understand why you would be aiming to have your GPU sitting comfortably at no more than 30%. I would assume just about any scenario in P3D that involves higher settings and several addons would lead to a much higher utilization than that, so obviously you would want it to work a lot rather than chill along to give you better performance. A lot in P3D these days is GPU bound in contrast to early versions, so if I saw my GPU at around 20 to 30% in a 'normal' scenario with higher settings and a couple of addons I would be worried.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD