Sign in to follow this  
markturner

track ir

16 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Would you be able to share your settings,

I am having a hell of a job getting Opentrack working smoothly with MSFS 2020. I also have the puck from GrassMonkey.

I have spent hours this morning trying to dial in the settings & curves, for some reason I just cannot seem to get a decent result.  

I will export my settings next time I am on the sim, and post here.

I have different settings for H145 and F16 and some times tweak them as I m flying it is easy.

If you have a jittery result it is probably because of poor camera or strong light sources like sunshine reflections, you can see this in the "octopus" window and then eliminate them with shades or whatever.

I did have to reinstall OpenTrack once. It was jittery and I noticed the frame rate on the camera was changing from 0 to 30 fps all the time. I deleted all the files including the OpenTrack folder in Documents. Then I uninstalled OT and rebooted the computer. It has run perfectly after reinstall. Download from the GrassMonkey site link, it is a slightly older version and works better than the latest version I have been told. So that is what I do.

Good luck, have fun...

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

thank you so much 

I'll try it right now 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

33 minutes ago, 177B said:

Yes you can launch OpenTrack after FS2020 and quit any time or just turn tracking off for a while then back on.

Thank you, I'll try it right now 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

5 hours ago, 177B said:

I will export my settings next time I am on the sim, and post here.

I have different settings for H145 and F16 and some times tweak them as I m flying it is easy.

If you have a jittery result it is probably because of poor camera or strong light sources like sunshine reflections, you can see this in the "octopus" window and then eliminate them with shades or whatever.

I did have to reinstall OpenTrack once. It was jittery and I noticed the frame rate on the camera was changing from 0 to 30 fps all the time. I deleted all the files including the OpenTrack folder in Documents. Then I uninstalled OT and rebooted the computer. It has run perfectly after reinstall. Download from the GrassMonkey site link, it is a slightly older version and works better than the latest version I have been told. So that is what I do.

Good luck, have fun...

Thank you,

I am particularly interested in the resolution you run the camera at & FPS setting, also what you run the threshold setting at, this one kinda confuses me a little.

Weird thing is I forgot I also had purchased Facetracknoir so I quickly installed that and straight away it seemed to be better than Opentrack.

Thanks

Richard

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

On 12/28/2021 at 1:55 PM, Jazz said:

He meant t disables head tracking in the flight sim as soon as you use the pause position feature of track ir. Do you use the pause position feature of track ir? Do you have a button assigned to it in the track ir software?

It is broken. And has been since the last update.

No idea what the “pause position” is for TrackIR, so my guess is I’m not using it.

I center with F12 and use throughout the flight. That seems to be working fine, as long as head tracking is enabled in the sim.

23 hours ago, RJC68 said:

Thank you,

I am particularly interested in the resolution you run the camera at & FPS setting, also what you run the threshold setting at, this one kinda confuses me a little.

Weird thing is I forgot I also had purchased Facetracknoir so I quickly installed that and straight away it seemed to be better than Opentrack.

Thanks

Richard

Download this file and unzip it there are photos of all my settings in OpenTrack.

http://westsideav.com/OT.zip

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

3 hours ago, neil0311 said:

No idea what the “pause position” is for TrackIR, so my guess is I’m not using it.

I center with F12 and use throughout the flight. That seems to be working fine, as long as head tracking is enabled in the sim.

I suspected as much. You're missing a key feature that is incredably useful and are therefore unaware that they broke the functionality of TrackIR. The pause key by default is F9 but you can change it to whatever you want. It's so useful because it allows you to look at a knob or switch or part of the panel or anywhere you like and then pause the head tracking. This makes it so much easier to interact with the cockpit especially with planes with small clickspots or complex cockpits like airliners etc. It's intuitive and it also helps to stop you getting cramp in your neck when you are trying to hold still in turbulance and hit the clickspots / programming FMC's GPS's etc.

While I wait for the complex airliners to arrive in MSFS I have been flying the Just Flight Arrow and Warrior planes in there and although superb planes their click spots are pretty tiny and rather frustrating. This would easily be mitigated if they had not broken my Track IR functionality and allowed me to pause where I'm looking as I bounce around the sky. I have actually stopped using MSFS and those planes because of this now and will wait for them to fix it. I have gone to fly the heavies in P3D instead and having just spent a few hours bouncing about the mid-Atlantic I used the feature a lot.

Give it a try yourself. Once you have you will be happy you did and use it a lot, I think.. Although you will need to either try it in P3D or the beta version of MSFS where they have fixed it. Well, you can, of course, just try it in the Track Ir software to see what it does.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

3 hours ago, 177B said:

Download this file and unzip it there are photos of all my settings in OpenTrack.

@177B and @RJC68

I just got the Grass Monkey puck shipped to Denmark, and have been using it for a couple of days.

I am using the latest version of OpenTrack with no issues at all. In fact it completely changes how I fly... much for the better! OpenTrack’s Center and Toggle functions are quite handy 😁

Regarding setup, there is a nice instruction video on the website, which takes you through all the settings. It also provides a link to some profiles (.ini) that Roger of Grass Monkey has already defined for MSFS. For me they work really well, and are probably also a good starting point for tweaking.

117B, I noticed in your screenshots that the dimensions of the ‘arms’ of the puck are different than mine - and from what the instruction video recommends... have you experimented or are there different puck versions?

Anyway, I can highly recommend both Grass Monkey’s puck and OpenTrack.

Edited by SuperKaro2014

6 hours ago, 177B said:

Thanks I will take a look,

Just for fun today I uninstalled my existing version of Opentrack as well as the CL-Eye driver and then installed the versions I downloaded from Grassmonkey direct and it is night and day different. I I wonder if the CL-Eye driver I was using is somehow different. I have had this for over a year but never really used it as I could not get a decent result. I even tried the latest version of Opentrack with the new built in driver and that was even worse.

I'll have to give this a go now and see what happens.

Appreciate the help,

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

I also went down the path of 3D printing and building my own Headtracker, and use opentrack to run it... runs perfectly... I can run opentrack before MSFS or whilst it is opened...  I have 2 switches on my T.16000M, one  mapped to Centre the View (Normally assigned to F) and another to switch off and on the headtracking, never had any issues, and the mapping I have done is super smooth... I use the PS Eye Camera...

Edited by Gadget FPV

Faisal Niazi

15 hours ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

117B, I noticed in your screenshots that the dimensions of the ‘arms’ of the puck are different than mine - and from what the instruction video recommends... have you experimented or are there different puck versions?

I have the rectangular tracker.

I found the measurements don't make much difference if any. I just use the ones that automatically loaded.

In my earlier install I changed them, but it works the same either way.

If I had a problem I would change them to what I can actually measure.

If you think about how it works, the biggest difference is is how you wear the puck or where the camera is.

I have the camera off to the right side about 18" off the centerline. And tracking is very solid that way.

Pit.jpg