Sign in to follow this  
Guest sillyeagle

FSX Military Jets with High Fidelity Modeling

Guest jwflowers

Are there any military jets such as the F-18, F-16, F-15 with HF modeling available for FSX? I play Falcon 4: Allied Force and I'm looking for something along those lines.Thanks,John

Guest DefBringer

>Are there any military jets such as the F-18, F-16, F-15 with>HF modeling available for FSX? I play Falcon 4: Allied Force>and I'm looking for something along those lines.>>Thanks,>JohnI know there are some out there, ranging in quality. Check the reviews of them on this site by clicking on Reviews at the top.I installed the MiG-15 Fagot by Bear Studios and I have to say that that thing is a HANDFUL. I think there is a good F-22 and F-15 out there too.Of course, don't expect any combat action. :D

Guest kingsnake11

Hi JohnYou will not generally find a flight model in FSX for any of the modern flighters with the feel of the flight models in any of the current Falcon 4 flavours (AF, RV, FF, SP, OF).Not to start a flame war here or pissing match over flightmodels, I offer the following opinions as a personal observation on three aircraft that I do fly quite a bit simply because "they feel right" and basically follow the real world "dash-1". I do have some humble experience with real world high speed fighters so you can take the following non-quantitative info as personal opinions anyway you like. IMHO there are some exceptions: The alphasim SR-71 will fly pretty much "by-the-book", that is to fly this aircraft you really need to pay attention to the flight manual proceedures and limitations. They have even modelled the yo-yo manoeuvre needed to efficiently break through the Mach 1.2 zone so that you can achieve the Mach 3+ at 85000ft schedule. My only complaint with the aircraft is that the eye perspective is a little too low. I raised it about an inch. I happen to have the pilot's manual for this aircraft so I did verify the climb and TTA curves. Also, as in the real aircraft, you have to monitor the fuel state and center of gravity. This is a handful of an aircraft to fly properly but very satisfying to re-create a mission from takeoff to (successful)landing. If you fly this one improperly, at best you will get an unstart in one or both engines, at worst, it will break up.The Justflight F-117 also is a reasonably good sim that is close to the published performance figures of the nighthawk, with reasonably good limitatations made on the flight envelope. Again, I had to raise the eyepoint (6 inches in this case) to get the proper perspective for flying and landing. The enigine power is perhaps a little too powerfull but I haven't had time to complete check out the acceleration performance in detail.The third, and probably the best flight model for any of the modern fighters in FSX is a modified air file for the IRIS F-14 that was carefully and painstakingly modified/crafted for personal use. Unfortunately, I can't share this file as it is not a freeware product, and regardless, you have to have the payware IRIS F-14. The stock IRIS F-14 is excessively overpowered with the resulting inaccuracies in climb, top speed, and performance at altitude.Having said all the above, I still prefer to fly slower non-jet aircraft in FSX simply to do some fun "relaxed" flying and to enjoy the great scenery :-)cheersRev. G. Stunadaaka "kingsnake11"

Guest sillyeagle

I can't wait for that f-18 and f-16 come out. Nice military jets is the one thing this sim lacks. Luckily there are some nice military props available. I was desperate to get a decent fighter jet for FSX, and since IRIS is the only company that seems to make one right now I tried their F-15. Now, it may be due to FSX limitations, but the experience in the IRIS F-15 is nothing at all like that of the F-15 on LOMAC, which I tend to feel is pretty good. I was quite dissapointed and won't be buying another IRIS product. This is an interesting forum as its hard to share your opinion without the developers reading it, so its hard for me to share anything other than positive comments, but honestly my first impression of the IRIS F-15 was that of a beafed up freeware product. One of the biggest downsides being that it cuts your framerate nearly in half, unless you disable the HUD. I had flown the freeware DSB Design Typhoon in FS9 and thought it was one of the best in terms of freeware, and when I flew the F-15 it felt like I was flying nearly the same thing, only with a different and enhanced visual package. It still felt like the same old DSB freeware, though now I was paying for it. After flying it for some time and getting a feel for its own uniqueness, I did change my impression a bit, and could appreciate the plane as a decent model within the limits of flight sim, and it is fun to fly, though I still don't feel the plane is worth the $30 I paid, maybe $20. I own the Alphasim SR-71, and THAT is a nice aircraft. After feeling out both IRIS and Alphasim, whom I would call providers of "value" aircraft, I would say Alphasim provides the better, more well rounded product. In fact I really like Aplhasim for thier affordable, yet high quality products. I was even venture to say their SR-71 is currently the best military jet you can get for FSX.I just posted some sweete screenshots of it in the screenshot forum if you are interested.