Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Some basic analysis of The Blurries, Post SP1

I've seen many a posts regarding The Blurries....especially now after SP1 has been installed.I did a few simple tests.... and I'm wondering where a lot of my resources are going.Here's what I did:Flight area - KFCM, Minneapolis, MNFPS locked at 16Flying in about 2 nm diameter circles around 100 kts, about 3000 ft msl (around 2000 AGL)Slewed far away to a non-loaded texture zone (very blurry zone)Hardware listed in sig...7200rpm HDD defragged with Ultimate Defrag, folder/file name, 90% high performance, FSXscenery and FSXtexture folders placed on outer platters of HDD for faster access times etcEdits to my cfg: FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.27TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200(Currently not using BufferPools tweak)In-game settings pertaining to texture loading (imho):Global texture res: Very HighAnisiotropic filtering and in-game AA checked, not in forcewareNo lense flare, no light bloom, no self-shadowing, do have ground shadows checked thoughLevel of detail radius: LargeMesh complex: 100%Mesh res: 38mTexture Resolution: 2mwater effects: Low 2.xLand detail textures: CheckedAutogen density: NoneScenery complexity: extremely denseWeather: Clear skies and 20mi visibility, detailed clouds ONTraffic: aircraft sliders avg 80%, road and boats very low, avg 30%So when I slewed to the very blurry area I flew in circles, it took an entire minute to see all crisp 2m textures (note yes thats not a typo - 2m, not the usually crisp 1m textures) pop into placeIt's hard to believe that with no autogen being displayed, no road traffic etc, no buildings, just plain jane textures it took a minute to load textures, with locked FPS @ 16....unlocked in that area yielded 26+/- 1 What the heck is FSX trying to load? I don't udnerstand, with my low vis, it shouldn't be trying to load a bunch of texture files....Maybe the Buffer Pools tweak would help.Your thoughts/experiences with The Blurries welcomeCan we stick posts about The Blurries? It is much easier to read on one subject!!!! Thanks!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest MauiHawk

Christian, I guess this is for you:So I was thinking since TileProxy is obviously aware of what tile FSX is trying to load, I wonder if it would be possible (without too much effort) to create a diag version of TileProxy that does not load tiles, instead just keeps track of what FSX is loading. If pertinent stats about the tiles being loaded could be logged in a file that included a dump of FSX settings and system specs maybe these logs could be sent to ACES and maybe it would help to find a pattern with the problem and hopefully a tweak that resolves it?I know this is probably a long shot, but thought I would throw it out there...EDIT: I now see the post about FileMon-- I'm embarrased I did not know of it. Maybe FileMon already provides this info?

about the way FSX wants to load tiles miles and miles away?Why on earth would it be doing that?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest cbuchner1

Filemon.exe is your friend - or the more advanced Process Monitor. Both available for free from www.sysinternals.com (redirected to Microsoft) This tool allows you to monitor all open calls on files ending on .BMP originating from the fsx.exe process. That only applies to the FS9 compatible scenery however.The new FSX scenery photoscenery format uses BGL files and contains efficiently compressed textures (somewhat similar to JPEG 2000, but faster)I strongly believe FSX SP1 does not aggressively enough schedule I/O for tiles in the FS9 code path. I am not really satisfied with terrain update speeds in the SP1. BUT also the inefficient "FS9 way" of covering large areas with lots of low resolution tiles adds to the problem. Only many concurrent I/O processes (threads) could maybe speed up things a bit here.Christian

hummm interesting...thanks for the link and info!By many IO processes, do you mean more cores on a cpu? I have single core, and many users like me are reporting this sorta thing...but some aren't hmmm

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |