Sign in to follow this  
ktd544002

Frozen Bodies of Water

Hello…Is there a way to turn off the frozen water effect in MSFS?  It looks ridiculous to have rivers and large bodies of water turn to ice anywhere there is snow.

For example, the Seattle area is currently experiencing a cold snap, and while it was cool to see the snow coverage in the sim, the Puget Sound and Lake Washington were completely frozen over!  This is common in Alaska too, where most of the coastal cities are now surrounded by ice in the sim.  Though the effect looks great in the appropriate areas, I’d rather just deal with unfrozen alpine lakes if it can be turned off.

I thought it was mentioned in one of the development series that ice extents were going to be shown based on real-world data, like for arctic ice etc.  I don’t remember it just being everywhere there is snow, unless something changed or I misunderstood.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ktd544002 said:

Hello…Is there a way to turn off the frozen water effect in MSFS?  It looks ridiculous to have rivers and large bodies of water turn to ice anywhere there is snow.

For example, the Seattle area is currently experiencing a cold snap, and while it was cool to see the snow coverage in the sim, the Puget Sound and Lake Washington were completely frozen over!  This is common in Alaska too, where most of the coastal cities are now surrounded by ice in the sim.  Though the effect looks great in the appropriate areas, I’d rather just deal with unfrozen alpine lakes if it can be turned off.

I thought it was mentioned in one of the development series that ice extents were going to be shown based on real-world data, like for arctic ice etc.  I don’t remember it just being everywhere there is snow, unless something changed or I misunderstood.

What we have now is so much better than before.  The snow coverage is more accurate now.  As some would say, people will find fault with anything.  The lakes should be frozen over in the winter.  I was flying up in Minnesota and it looks realistic now.  That being said it's not going to be perfect for all areas and as always Asobo will tweak it (break something in return more glaring thanks to complainers) and eventually is should work out.  The work they've done in the Beta proves that (if they don't change what they've done with the next SU release).  Just the same I like it. :ph34r:

Edit:  Just read the official thread on the subject and found you can now land on the iced over lakes.  Now I'm really impressed.  Couldn't disagree more with the original poster here.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If you change from switch from live weather to a weather theme that is close to the live weather and then manually add a bit of snow the water bodies will not be frozen solid. This looks better when flying in areas where they are not or are rarely frozen over in real life.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Dillon said:

Couldn't disagree more with the original poster here.

It's wayyy overdone. It's a great idea, kinda like when ORBX had something similar. But the sea ice is ridiculous.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

The frozen salt water is idiotic.  Puget Sound, the Chesapeake, all of Southeast Alaska.... yeah sure, deep salt water with huge tidal exchanges should freeze solid.   🙄

Many lakes shouldn't be frozen either, but I get that differentiation becomes more difficult here.  But saltwater that's not in the arctic or antarctic, absolutely not. 

Andrew Crowley