Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Do you think I can run MSFS if I upgrade my PC

So currently I have P3D and would really love to get MSFS if possible. If I were to upgrade my GPU and RAM do you think I could run it?

Here are my current specs.

CPU: Intel I5 quad core  4460 @ 3.2ghz 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 750ti 

Memory: 12GB  DDR3  

HD: 2TB HDD

I would hopefully like to run it on medium settings if possible.

Thanks

Jason Thiers

memory , GPU, CPU, Mobo needs an upgrade. That sounds like you need a new pc

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I sort of don't think you should frustrate yourself. I started out with an i7 7700 @3.8ghz with a gtx 1060 6gig. I could run it a medium, a couple at high, I was pretty rough (though better than I imagined) until I upgraded to an i7 10700 with a 3060 graphics card. Which of course is a whole lot better fit.

It's still up to you to try, if you want. 

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

If you can get the RAM very cheaply it doesn't hurt to try. A quad core CPU is minimum spec I believe.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

memory , GPU, CPU, Mobo needs an upgrade. That sounds like you need a new pc

Do you think I could get a pre built PC for under $1,000 that would be capable of running it? Either through Amazon or another site.

Jason Thiers

2 hours ago, jt233 said:

So currently I have P3D and would really love to get MSFS if possible. If I were to upgrade my GPU and RAM do you think I could run it?

Thanks

Generally speaking, MSFS gets better performance now than P3D. So if you can run P3D successfully on your limited system, then you can probably squeak by with MSFS as well, assuming, as you do, that you're going to use medium settings.

Alternatively, you might prefer to buy an XBox and run MSFS on the XBox. That would be vastly cheaper than buying a new computer or even upgrading your current system. The XBox Series X can run MSFS in 4K. The Xbox Series S runs MSFS in standard HD.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Also, whether you're using a PC or an XBox, you can get GamePass for $1 from the Microsoft Game Store and download MSFS to see how it runs and how you like it.

• Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

42 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

I sort of don't think you should frustrate yourself. I started out with an i7 7700 @3.8ghz with a gtx 1060 6gig. I could run it a medium, a couple at high, I was pretty rough (though better than I imagined) until I upgraded to an i7 10700 with a 3060 graphics card. Which of course is a whole lot better fit.

It's still up to you to try, if you want. 

I run that same system you use to have, works decent enough for me, probably cause I don’t know any different, I’m running on medium and high. 

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

3 hours ago, jt233 said:

Thanks

To be honest what you should upgrade first is the GPU and slot in an SSD.

Forget RAM upgrades as DDR3 is expensive and not compatible with any new PC later and 12GB is plenty in the current game at 1080p especially if it is triple channel.

Sure, your rig with a better graphics and a SSD will still never get Ultra or run a VR headset -  and might struggle in a 747 at O'Hare with all traffic on, but should be fine for medium most of the time and even high settings if you are in a remote area in a smaller aircraft.

The good thing about the GPU/SSD route is they will be compatible with a new build if you decide later you are not happy.

TLDR -- new GPU and a SSD will be fine for 1080p on medium settings everywhere but occasional crazy busy airports in an airliner.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

To be honest what you should upgrade first is the GPU and slot in an SSD.

Forget RAM upgrades as DDR3 is expensive and not compatible with any new PC later and 12GB is plenty in the current game at 1080p especially if it is triple channel.

Sure, your rig with a better graphics and a SSD will still never get Ultra or run a VR headset -  and might struggle in a 747 at O'Hare with all traffic on, but should be fine for medium most of the time and even high settings if you are in a remote area in a smaller aircraft.

The good thing about the GPU/SSD route is they will be compatible with a new build if you decide later you are not happy.

TLDR -- new GPU and a SSD will be fine for 1080p on medium settings everywhere but occasional crazy busy airports in an airliner.

Actually I forgot to put in there that I also have a 2TB SSD that I can install the game on so that might help me.

• Like 1

Jason Thiers

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

Generally speaking, MSFS gets better performance now than P3D. So if you can run P3D successfully on your limited system, then you can probably squeak by with MSFS as well, assuming, as you do, that you're going to use medium settings.

Alternatively, you might prefer to buy an XBox and run MSFS on the XBox. That would be vastly cheaper than buying a new computer or even upgrading your current system. The XBox Series X can run MSFS in 4K. The Xbox Series S runs MSFS in standard HD.

I would go this route, but I really want to run it on my PC because I want to get the PMDG aircraft when they come out as well as be able to install other addons like ORBX.

Jason Thiers

2 hours ago, jt233 said:

I would go this route, but I really want to run it on my PC because I want to get the PMDG aircraft when they come out as well as be able to install other addons like ORBX.

What Glenn Says .. and use the ssd. Then do a test with the 1 buck subscription for taste.:)

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

6 hours ago, jt233 said:

Thanks

Absolutely not worth it...

Provided that your PSU is sufficient to power a decent GPU, that i5 is definitely too slow for MSFS. 

You need a brand new PC.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

6 hours ago, jt233 said:

Do you think I could get a pre built PC for under $1,000 that would be capable of running it? Either through Amazon or another site.

No, but my system cost $1150 about 2 years ago, I run everything on Ultra. But its a 2K monitor and render and both LODs are set to only 160 instead of 200. I get 26 to 35 fps anywhere, even Paris or NYC Manhattan. I would say my fps is about 32.

Interestingly, this calculator below predicts that my system will yield 32 at Ultra MSFS, so perhaps the calculator is a reasonable tool !

I tried the calculator for iBuyPower cheaper systems from $900 to $1200 but they did worse than my own system.

But here's an interesting one that predicts 38 FPS for $1350 (on sale), it has the exact same motherboard, case, and power supply as mine but a bigger SSD (1TB, whereas mine came with 500 GB, not big enough). This should run MSFS better than mine. I doubt mine or this one will work well at 1440 and definately cannot run 4K at all, but nice on any 2K monitor.

----------------------

https://www.ibuypower.com/store/Gaming-RDY-SLHRR205

Windows 11 Home, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, B550 MB, Radeon RX 6600 8GB GPU, 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, iBUYPOWER RGB Liquid Cooling

------------------------

The Calculator for any GPU, CPU, running MSFS 2020:

https://howmanyfps.com/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

10 hours ago, jt233 said:

Your PC definitely WILL run it. It's streets ahead of mine (10 year old CPU!) and I'm using the PMDG DC-6 at the moment. 

What your PC WON'T do is run it with everything maxxed but that's rather obvious. Without doubt, try it before buying something else because it WILL run and then it'll give you a pointer at how much you need to upgrade to reach the level that you are happy with. 

• Like 3

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg