Sign in to follow this  
MichaelLowl

Moving MSFS to another drive

Good day, I need a little help from my friends: I decided to move my MSFS from a SSD-Drive to a faster (1TB) Nvme Drive and Win10 don't let me copy the One Store or Community folder. Can someone give me

a safe step by step how do move the whole SIM without downloading over 100 Gigs? I'm on the latest Beta now and I don#t wanna lose any of my settings I made.

Thanks in Advance!

Michael

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

I am interested in this as I have just bought a new NVME 4.0 drive.  Supposed to be 7000 mb/s read, so hopefully it will bring the loading times down.

It seems as simple as going to programs and apps and selecting move on the MSFS entry, but I wonder if it changes the last line in the userconfig.opt file.  It normally stores the path in there, and MSFS doesn't start if it is wrong.

@MichaelLowl  Please let us know how it goes.  I can't do mine until Thursday due to lack of time.  It's part of a full new motherboard and processor install. 

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I just moved my installation to a new drive. I did a simply copy of my main MSFS folder to the new drive. There were a couple of system owned folders that it would not let me move ( WindowsApps and WpSystem), so I didn't bother with them.

My situation was probably different than yours. I started with MSFS in E:\MSFS\MSFS\ and after copying ot to the new drive. I reassigned the new drive to E:\, so MSFS never really "moved". the other stuff became F:. I'm not looking forward to telling P3D and FSX-SE that they have a new home, but I haven't launched either one in 2 months now....

After I relocated and fired up MSFS, it launched the installer and looked like it was going to re-install. I pointed it at the correct location and let her rip. Less than 1 minute later it was launching. Apparently, it noticed all of my files in the correct place and did a repair, including rebuilding the 2 folders I couldn't move.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. The regular shortcut to MSFS wouldn't work after I copied it to the new location. I had to use the MS Store app to launch it.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

You only need to and only should copy and paste two folders that are inside your Packages folder, namely Community and Official. Do not move anything else, leave it where it is. Those 2 folders have 99% of the file volume anyway.

Create a new folder on your new drive, this folder can have any name at all.

Now rename your old Packages folder still at the old location so MSFS cannot see it. But the new folder you created to contain your new Community and Official folders at the new location should not be renamed. MSFS will be able see it when you browse to it at 'checking for updates' screen.

Do not alter any lines in any .cfg file.

Just close MSFS if it isn't already closed and then boot up MSFS again. At the 'checking for updates' screen, browse to your new location. MSFS will see your huge Community and Official folders all there in good shape and will not have to redownload anything. MSFS will proceed to open as normal

EDIT: You would have to keep both drives on your system using the above method. So that Windows can see both drives.

If you are going to remove a drive from the computer and replace it with another drive, then you just need to clone the old drive over to the new drive. For instance using the free version of Macrium Reflect. After that is all done and confirmed working, then you can reformat your old drive and use it somewhere. Such as putting it into a cheap case with a USB interface to plug in and out of your computer.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

14 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I am interested in this as I have just bought a new NVME 4.0 drive.  Supposed to be 7000 mb/s read, so hopefully it will bring the loading times down.

It should make a difference yes -  but maybe not quite as much as you would initially think as a reasonable proportion of that load time is the CPU/GPU decompressing files and generally messing about getting stuff ready to go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fielder said:

You only need to and only should copy and paste two folders that are inside your Packages folder, namely Community and Official. Do not move anything else, leave it where it is. Those 2 folders have 99% of the file volume anyway.

Create a new folder on your new drive, this folder can have any name at all.

Now rename your old Packages folder still at the old location so MSFS cannot see it. But the new folder you created to contain your new Community and Official folders at the new location should not be renamed. MSFS will be able see it when you browse to it at 'checking for updates' screen.

Do not alter any lines in any .cfg file.

Just close MSFS if it isn't already closed and then boot up MSFS again. At the 'checking for updates' screen, browse to your new location. MSFS will see your huge Community and Official folders all there in good shape and will not have to redownload anything. MSFS will proceed to open as normal

EDIT: You would have to keep both drives on your system using the above method. So that Windows can see both drives.

If you are going to remove a drive from the computer and replace it with another drive, then you just need to clone the old drive over to the new drive. For instance using the free version of Macrium Reflect. After that is all done and confirmed working, then you can reformat your old drive and use it somewhere. Such as putting it into a cheap case with a USB interface to plug in and out of your computer.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Thx for the suggestion. This method can't be used for me because win10 don't allow me (also as administrator) to move the copied files to an other drive.

Regards Michael

Copying, moving, pasting, cutting etc. are all operating system controlled. But you can always clone a whole drive as there are no restrictions. Everything on the SSD is cloned over to the larger Nvme. So you then boot the computer from the Nvme drive. As far as Windows knows, the new Nvme drive is the old SDD drive.

Then you can erase the SSD and use it for a secondary drive via a SATA socket. This is the normal way of doing drive upgrades if a new Nvme drive is plugged right into a socket on the motherboard inside the case.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

50 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Copying, moving, pasting, cutting etc. are all operating system controlled. But you can always clone a whole drive as there are no restrictions. Everything on the SSD is cloned over to the larger Nvme. So you then boot the computer from the Nvme drive. As far as Windows knows, the new Nvme drive is the old SDD drive.

Then you can erase the SSD and use it for a secondary drive via a SATA socket. This is the normal way of doing drive upgrades if a new Nvme drive is plugged right into a socket on the motherboard inside the case.

Thanks for this hint. Which software to you recommend for clone the drive?

Macrium Reflect version 8, the freeware edition. Not the free trial edition. It's possible to select the wrong drives and clone the new empty drive over to the old drive full of Windows and programs. Then  you have 2 empty drives! So the main thing is to be sure which is target and which is source.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelLowl said:

Thanks for this hint. Which software to you recommend for clone the drive?

I used macrium reflect free, but acronis will do it too

Edited by cianpars
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

This was the most helpful video I watched before I upgraded the motherboard drive.

8 hours ago, Sefardi said:

This worked for me PERFECTLY (MS Store version) with NO additional procedures:

King.gif

On 9/3/2022 at 10:35 AM, Sefardi said:

This worked for me PERFECTLY (MS Store version) with NO additional procedures:

I watched this video but I didn’t quite understand which and where those files moved? That option only allows to move the sim to a new drive but it doesn’t give you an option to move the sim to the folder I need on the new drive. A bit confusing. 
What files will actually be moved and where exactly on the new drive?

Thanks. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”