Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Z690 boards catching fire.

Asus Rog Hero to be precise. 😟

Edited by martin-w

Similarly, my Asus Rog Z590 went on fire and melted my SSD, and Sound Card with no warnings and before I can do anything last month.

I had it for less than 2 years

It cost me a fortune to get a new PC.

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

51 minutes ago, nhagag said:

Similarly, my Asus Rog Z590 went on fire and melted my SSD, and Sound Card with no warnings and before I can do anything last month.

I had it for less than 2 years

It cost me a fortune to get a new PC.

Bill

Good grief Bill. Sounds like a hefty fire, hope nothing else in your home was damaged. I must admit, Ive never come across motherboard fires before. Did you contact Asus, it would have been under warranty. Worth putting in a claim for the other bits damaged too.

Ive had PSU's generate sparks and the dreaded blue smoke before, hence why I always turn off my PC when not in use and if  leaving the home. 

Edited by martin-w

Buildzoid's video on this. 

he identified that images of the failed boards showed a capacitor mounted backwards, so wrong polarity. 🙄

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

That is what the folks from Jetliner Systems told me. it might be a faulty capacitor.

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

20 hours ago, nhagag said:

That is what the folks from Jetliner Systems told me. it might be a faulty capacitor.

Bill

In this case not faulty. This sounds like a case of the automated machine that places capacitors on the boards had them loaded backwards. 

• Like 1

Yep, they are not trying to cover up their mistake, kudos to Asus.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

4 hours ago, stans said:

Yep, they are not trying to cover up their mistake, kudos to Asus.

I guess it would have been hard covering up this mistake as the capacitor is visibly backwards. Everybody can see it. 😁

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, martin-w said:

I guess it would have been hard covering up this mistake as the capacitor is visibly backwards. Everybody can see it. 😁

The majority of people in this world have no idea of the function of a capacitor, let alone its polarity.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:54 AM, stans said:

The majority of people in this world have no idea of the function of a capacitor, let alone its polarity.

True. But I'm saying that Asus could hardly deny the issue when the multitude of tech YouTubers and informed users can actually point a fat finger at the capacitor and say "Err, look".

Asus are playing it down though, claiming its just a few, when evidence suggests there's many.

They've done the right thing though, acting quick and even informing the authorities. 

• Like 1

Can some post the savings link to the big Asus fire sale? Thank you.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

So the Asus Z690 Hero boards are catching fire. So with extreme logic circuits engaged, I just ordered an Asus Z690 Hero. Seemed to make sense. 

Lets hope the capacitor is the right way around. 🙄

On 1/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, martin-w said:

So the Asus Z690 Hero boards are catching fire. So with extreme logic circuits engaged, I just ordered an Asus Z690 Hero. Seemed to make sense. 

Lets hope the capacitor is the right way around. 🙄

You won't regret it, great board.