Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Tile Proxy thread #2?

Guest cbuchner1

Don't start the flight in full screen mode and observe the shell terminal (the "DOS box"). See if there's error messages scrolling down.

Guest cbuchner1

Yeah, sorry. But the README.txt and the manual DID warn that it's an early test release - a so called "beta" version.

Guest mjtibbs

very interesting program, I am still to install this & config.But I just have 2 questions.1) - Is there anyway to delete the temporary tiles after use (to save HD space etc)2) - Can you use FSX normally again ( not using tile project) by simply just not loading tile project before launching FSX?thanks

Guest livai

Hi,This soft is really really great, thanks a lot.Just one problem, no tiles (FSX textures only) at NTAA (tahiti)... someone can test for me?ThanksLivai

>very interesting program, I am still to install this &>config.>>But I just have 2 questions.>>1) - Is there anyway to delete the temporary tiles after use>(to save HD space etc)>>2) - Can you use FSX normally again ( not using tile project)>by simply just not loading tile project before launching FSX?>>thanks>1. If you're talking about the tiles in the World folder, just click on the cleanup.bat file.2. Yes, but in order to see default FS scenery where you were flying before with Tileproxy you need to go to the scenery library and disable the "World" items at the beginning (assuming you haven't moved them) of the list.

Hi all,first: TileProxy is realy a great step forward for us simmers. The whole world fotoreal, it's real real! Christian thanks a lot for this incredible tool!I have a question about screenshots: It's a problem to public screens or not? It seems that the very great shots from Christian aren't available on flickr any more. Are there any copyright-problems or not? Aerosoft with his APS (Aerosoft Photoscenery) using although Google Earth trictly prohibit to public screenshots. Any idea?Rainer

Guest cbuchner1

I just covered my ...behind... by removing those flickr photos. If one of the commercial map services decide to unleash their lawyers I do not want to offer a large attack surface by having copyrighted (or derivative thereof) material on my site.Generally I would advise to attribute every posted screenshot with proper copyrights - the same string that the Google Earth or MSN Virtual Earth 3D client shows in the bottom right corner of the image for the covered geographic area and zoom level.

Just wondering (and yes I know it could look awful :-)!). Is there any way to get autogen to show with Tileproxy images?

Guest cbuchner1

My world coverage may be incomplete as I took a very coarse world map (a GIF image) and manually typed in a star in my coverage utility whereever I wanted coverage on that sector. I may have overlooked some islands or coastal areas.I found Microsoft textures to be used also in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. I don't yet know what the exact problem is here.

Guest rbrown3rd

Is there any way to direct the cache to another hard drive? I would be willing to dedicate an drive to the cache but I am guessing that the cache is just that, a temporary storage area. Additional processing must take place to create DXT1 images for the sim textures so storing the cache would not help much. Just wondering if there is a way to permanently store textures for areas that one frequently flies in. I am sure you must have gotten this question from others.

Guest cbuchner1

the BMP files in the World folder are pretty permanent right now. This is the folder that grows in size very rapidly.I had intended to add a rollover cache in the next release (say, 50000 files allowed only and max. 500 MB in total - with the limits configurable of course). So as you go above the limit, older files get deleted until we're below the limit again.But I got the impression currently enjoy the benefits of an unlimited cache size.

Guest cbuchner1

Absolute paths to the cache folders (for JPEGs) are allowed in the INI file! Make use of that if you like.Absolute paths to a WORLD folder on an external drive are possible, given that: - you change the paths to be absolute inside your scenery.cfg and direct them to the external drive. So e.g. World0101 becomes X:World0101. - you modify the load.bat script not to use the drive letter of your FSX installation (typically C: ) but instead to use the drive letter from the drive containing the World folder.All of this should take no more than 15 minutes to change.Christian

Guest rbrown3rd

>Absolute paths to the cache folders (for JPEGs) are allowed>in the INI file! Make use of that if you like.>>Absolute paths to a WORLD folder on an external drive are>possible, given that:>> - you change the paths to be absolute inside your scenery.cfg>and direct them to the external drive. So e.g. World0101>becomes X:World0101.>> - you modify the load.bat script not to use the drive letter>of your FSX installation (typically C: ) but instead to use>the drive letter from the drive containing the World folder.>>All of this should take no more than 15 minutes to change.>>Christian>Thanks for that Christian. That should be pretty easy to setup as you point out. Once more let me thank you for a wonderful addition to the sim. This has made flying VFR in the sim a very rewarding experience for me and has renewed my excitement about using flight simulator. It brings much more of the experience of real world flying to the simulator which is very satisfying for me since I stopped my real world flying a few years back. You have done a great job with this addon. I hope that a satisfactory institutional arrangement can be achieved to insure that this can move ahead in a less "experimental" fashion if you know what I mean.

Guest cbuchner1

> But I got the impression currently enjoy the benefits of an unlimited cache size.insert "people" or "simmers" wherever it fits ;)

>Just wondering (and yes I know it could look awful :-)!). Is>there any way to get autogen to show with Tileproxy images?Just realised that that would be impossible as the autogen is linked to the FS textures.