Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Navigraph 2021 survey results is out, MSFS grew market share

Well, the Navigraph 2021 survey results are out.  And not surprisingly, MSFS grew market share among Navigraph survey takers. You can download the full results of the Navigraph survey here.  The most interesting part is the graphs on page 58 and page 59, which shows the difference between this year and last year's survey.

This year's survey:

1rY9kWe.png

Last year's survey:

QPgAbQa.png

As you can see, MSFS market share grew among Navigraph survey takers, probably taking market share from P3D.  Mind you, I think Navigraph survey takers are the most "hard core" of flight simmers.  So the "hard core" flight sim market is giving a thumbs up to MSFS over the last year. 

It will be interesting when the PMDG 737, Fenix A320, Maddog, and other high fidelity airliners are released for MSFS.  I suspect MSFS will take even more market share (having said that, XP 12 is on the horizon so XP may hit back with XP 12).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 9

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

we are going to have fun 2022!

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

we are going to have fun 2022!

I expect the PMDG 737, Fenix A320, and Maddog to be released in 2022.  2022 could be the best year yet for MSFS among the "hard core" flight sim community.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

What i love is the fantastic age distribution among the respondents - quite the community for our little hobby.

• Like 2

DCS has taken over from P3D, P3D v4 has droped a lot. Intresting.

If MSFS get PMDG and FENIX, MadDog and the Q400 next year I dread to think what the figures will look like for P3D next year.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Laminar is going to want to team up with Google or merge with Asbo. Just speculating because scenery is the reason people are flocking to MSFS2020. You could spend hundreds on getting Land Class proper in X-Plane but if there is one good thing I can say about MSFS2020, the Land Class is second to none. Yet to see a palm tree growing out of a beach in New England

Edited by MSFLYER5856
  • Like 3

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

2 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

Laminar is going to want to team up with Google or merge with Asbo. Just speculating because scenery is the reason people are flocking to MSFS2020. You could spend hundreds on getting Land Class proper in X-Plane but if there is one good thing I can say about MSFS2020, the Land Class is second to none. Yet to see a palm tree growing out of a beach in New England

You will never get to have XP look as realistic as MSFS.

• Like 7

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

There's one thing I find very shocking: 62,9% (15222 participants out of a sample of 24200 in total) find Jeppesen Charts to be the best chart format out there compared to just 6,8% (1646/24200) who prefer Lufthansa Systems / Lido Charts.

I thought about getting Navigraph Charts but then Navigraph decided to switch from Lido to Jeppesen format and I quickly dismissed the idea of subscribing to their charts product, because I find the Jeppesen Chart format absolutely awful.

Seems like I'm among the very few that think so 😅

Just compare Lido chart format with Jeppesen Charts...
psauk5m.png

Jepp_Jepp_PDX_airport_diagram_page1.jpg

FlWNl2f.png

Jepp_Jepp_PDX_10R.jpg

And as far as I remember Jeppesen doesn't have the absolutely useful AFC chart LH offers:

pq46eh8.png

Please tell me I'm not the only one who prefers Lido over Jeppesen 😅😅😅

• Like 3

It might be good to note that almost 2/3rds of the survey respondents are Navigraph subscribers. I'm guessing that this is an unrepresentative group of flight simmers in general. Also virtually none run flight sim on a Xbox. So these results are interesting, but might very well not represent the views of a "typical" flight sim participant. With regard to the previous post concerning IFR chart format preference, the respondents are largely Navigraph customers already.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I noticed that there were quite a few EFB users, which I use,. No need for charts, it is right in the EFB no matter where in MSFS I fly. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Interesting that Xplane seemed to grow it’s share a bit, not sure if it was a statistically valid change or not but it’s noticeable.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Konterhalbe said:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who prefers Lido over Jeppesen

I’ve never even seen a Lido chart. Where would I find them? 

Maybe it’s because it’s what I’m used to but I find the Jeppesen easier to find relevant info. On the ILS chart for instance, it took me forever to find the ILS frequency. My eye went straight to it on Jepp. Same for Elevation on Airport Diagram. 

So I guess it’s what you are used to. 

• Like 1

Eddie
KABQ

13 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Interesting that Xplane seemed to grow it’s share a bit, not sure if it was a statistically valid change or not but it’s noticeable.

A few weeks ago, we saw stats that MSFS for XBox now boasts more users than MSFS for PC -- a fact that the Navigraph survey completely, though inadvertently, obscures. From the Navigraph survey, it appears that the XBox users make up only a minuscule fraction of the MSFS base, instead of the majority. This several-hundred-percent discrepancy -- between the actual and the reported number of MSFS users on Xbox -- is due to the fact that few people receive and respond to emailed survey solicitations on their XBox gaming platform. So the relative number of MSFS to X-Plane users is downsized by a gargantuan number.

Also, it's instructive how the results are framed to cast a positive light on X-Plane. For example, a mere 30% of the respondents said they are "likely" or "very likely" to buy X-Plane 12 (even with the percentage of X-Plane users vastly skewed in their favor). Yet the "possible" purchases of X-Plane 12 are added into the summary statistics to create the narrative that a majority of the entire flight simming community is planning to buy X-Plane 12 ("50.4 percent") when it is released. This is self-evidently ridiculous. 

• Like 7

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Interesting how P3D is the only title that's separated into all 5 versions.  If the inquiry had been P3D (All versions) would the percentages have changed? What if they asked about all versions of x-plane? or FSX for that matter? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS