Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Navigraph 2021 survey results is out, MSFS grew market share

I can only hope MS/Asobo take note of the continued growth of VR in the Flight Simulation community, their lacklustre approach since they included support in a belated patch has been nothing short of woeful. They have said they want to to more for VR, I'll believe it when I see it personally, as since SU5 it's gone backwards not forwards. 24.4% of 24,200 people is a large number and it continues to rise, if they put some effort into it the numbers for VR MSFS2020 use could explode.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

The only thing x plane and x plane mobile have in common is the name and the fact that there are airplanes in both. Come on, how can you compare that with MSFS on Xbox?

Edited by Tva
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tva said:

The only thing x plane and x plane mobile have in common is the name and the fact that there are airplanes in both. Come on, how can you compare that with MSFS on Xbox?

Sharing about 70-80% of the code according to LR.

time vs money is the equation, not your experience as a user.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, akita said:

For others this data is meaningful, those mobile users in the future might find Xplane on steamDeck/PC (and 3rd party are already on the steam store) resulting in a big new market.

I don't know how this is relevant. Somebody wanting to develop for the PC/Mac version of X-Plane CAN go to Steam, but it's not really required, he can publish an addon in any way he wants.

Publishing on mobile, is completely different, the official stores (especially on IOS ) are the ONLY possible ways of releasing something and, since in this case it means publishing an ADD-ON to an already existing mobile game, it cannot possibly work unless Laminar would do something similar to what Microsoft is doing with the MSFS Marketplace on Xbox, that is creating an in-game separate marketplace.

I'm not saying it can't be done but, Epic games had to sue Apple to get exactly that, and the first rulings are not in Epic's favor, meaning Apple's prohibition of having "In-Game app stores" hasn't been declared illegal so, at least as far as the Apple Store is concerned, this is still not possible. However, Epic said they'll continue fighting and the common view is the legal quarrel will go on for years. So no, I'm not saying "impossible", but VERY unlikely, at least for the foreseeable future.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, akita said:

but why count XBOX and not mobile? or is it when it comes to serve a very specific narrative?

those numbers should be known and definitely not excluded because an MSFS user wants to set a narrative

Nothing against being critical but this sounds as if you were insinnuating that the people at navigraph deliberately excluded xplane mobile from their survey in order to draw a more favourable picture of MSFS. And that's quite an accusation if you ask me (if that‘s what you meant).

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Nothing against being critical but this sounds as if you were insinnuating that the people at navigraph deliberately excluded xplane mobile from their survey in order to draw a more favourable picture of MSFS. And that's quite an accusation. 

The opposite, re-read the discussion again and who I quoted at first.

4 minutes ago, virtuali said:

I don't know how this is relevant. Somebody wanting to develop for the PC/Mac version of X-Plane CAN go to Steam, but it's not really required, he can publish an addon in any way he wants.

Publishing on mobile, is completely different, the official stores (especially on IOS ) are the ONLY possible ways of releasing something and, since in this case it means publishing an ADD-ON to an already existing mobile game, it cannot possibly work unless Laminar would do something similar to what Microsoft is doing with the MSFS Marketplace on Xbox, that is creating an in-game separate marketplace.

I'm not saying it can't be done but, Epic games had to sue Apple to get exactly that, and the first rulings are not in Epic's favor, meaning Apple's prohibition of having "In-Game app stores" hasn't been declared illegal so, at least as far as the Apple Store is concerned, this is still not possible. However, Epic said they'll continue fighting and the common view is the legal quarrel will go on for years. So no, I'm not saying "impossible", but VERY unlikely, at least for the foreseeable future.

Here we agree, but Xplane12 is under NDA as well as the steamDeck development.

What is for sure that mobile is a portal for PC as well and other platforms, LR and other 3rd party's confirmed this with their own investment in that platform, so knowing what those numbers are can shed some more light for what kind of a platform one is developing for and how can one lure them towards you.

Just like some bought MSFS then bought Xplane and their addons and vice versa, while those 5M+ does not mean much for now, they can mean a lot in the future.

This is my whole take here, i'm not trying to say Xplane has a bigger market, obviously not.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, akita said:

The opposite, re-read the discussion again and who I quoted at first.

Okay, I've re-read it and I think I know what you mean. I apologise.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, akita said:

For others this data is meaningful, those mobile users in the future might find Xplane on steamDeck/PC (and 3rd party are already on the steam store) resulting in a big new market.

Go invest there then, while you're at it, here's a hot tip - betamax 🤣🤣

• Like 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, Greazer said:

That's the percentage of grumpy old man simmers, they never sell their beat up car from the 70's. They never uninstall FSX.

so most of avsim lol 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

What pilot license do you have?  74.2% said none.

So what are all these people basing those MSFS flight model is bad comments on?

Most have never flown anything except a simulator, they just think they are aviation experts. . 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

what will be the MFS usage by Xbox pilots in next year’s survey?

this year, out of 24,000 Navigraph survey respondents, about 600 simmers fly with Xbox,

I wonder how this reflects the actual number of MFS Xbox pilots today

34 minutes ago, craigeaglefire said:

I wonder how this reflects the actual number of MFS Xbox pilots today

Very little. I doubt the vast majority of MSFS Xbox users even know who Navigraph is. We are looking at the tip of the iceberg here. We know from various sources, the total amount of MSFS users is about 2 millions, so this survey is covering about 1.2%.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tva said:

If they came out with X plane on a smart watch. people would be raving about how good that was too....😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

21 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If they came out with X plane on a smart watch. people would be raving about how good that was too....😉

A very special kind of people 😄

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

11 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Not necessarily so. I probably fly ifr for about 90+% of my flights and use no ATC. I thought 40% not using ATC sounded on the low side tbh.

Me too, but that is because I can't stand the hiccough that happens frequently when ATC generates speech, then the dang static mic on/off sound which almost always generates a microstutter.  I've zendesked this and put it into the bugs list at the MS forum but no joy so far.  That and the dang white spinning log indicator as well, same thing.  I wish they would address this immersion-killing hiccoughs!!!!!!!!!!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X