Sign in to follow this  

On second thought... problem with trees?

Interesting observation, may result in another TreeX mod for Sp1 this time.

FYI: TreeX v2 works just dandy with SP1.I installed it along with an RTM reduced cloud texture "tweak" I had from the early days, and both work fine.Personally, I find the visual quality hit of the TreeX and reduced cloud textures to be *minimal* at the worst, so I went ahead and did it. While I don't see a massive substantive framerate improvement with them, I do NOT get any blurries - even when running at accelerated time. I theorize that the reduced memory footprint of the tree and cloud textures frees up some memory space for the ground textures, allowing them to populate and draw with ease. As always, if you take on such a test, be certain to BACK UP all your SP1 files before applying new textures... just in case. :)

Greg - where did you find the reduced cloud textures?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One of the most maddening aspects of PC-based gaming is the variability of hardware involved. I was surprised to read of your tree problems, because in my testing, the biggest frame rate increases in SP1 came when flying over mountainout heavily-forested areas. I know several other developers I correspond with frequently had the same experience. Sorry I can't be more help, but it just goes to show you how difficult testing for PC games can be.

Thanks a lot, Greg. I've been looking for the reduced clouds for FSX. Could you pls let us know your TreeX type/setting and cloud distance / density you're using?

I use the middle-of-the-road TreeX setting, and I think I have the canopy OFF.

Guest dpc

>>It seems that around cities fps is improved by SP1, but above the forests it seems to have gone down.I would say I would TEND to agree at this point. I was stunned by how much my performance went down with SP1 arround my local airport, KASH. In that area there is a fair amount of autogen and very heavy on the trees. Flying in other areas such as Vegas, Pacific northwest etc, I see a nice improvement. Not sure if it is the trees or an issue with my specific area but I do notice more issues with trees than city.

Bummer.. I just now COMPLETELY removed FS X from my system, reinstalled it, ran it once (for the cfg files), installed SP1... Still the same: starting from Bergen (which already has mountains all over) I get almost 30 fps, above Bergen it's 23 to 30 (A LOT BETTER than before SP1!) and when I come close to the mountains with trees it drops. And when I really leave the city behind me I get about 10 - 13 fps. With settings that are the same as I used before SP1 (mesh and the like). I'm even thinking about reinstalling FS X once more to see what results FS X pre-SP1 gives me, but I've already activated FS X 5 times now, so...It's really strange because this is the opposite of what I'm used to.

The problem with testing is that you tend to test a lot of settings for a few minutes. While you should be testing a lot of settings for a longer period.I tested my settings with SP1 a LOT and was quit happy with it all. I tested around airports I frequently fly around, like the one near Bergen in Norway. I didn't fly far away because I though staying around the city required the most of FS X. Flying above mountains with just trees was too easy. But maybe I was wrong... After finally setteling for settings that gave me plus 20 fps or even around 30 around Bergen, I flew further away above the mountains. Before SP1 this was always alright. Easy. No problem. Smooth. But to my amazement fps dropped when I left the city behind me and started to fly above mountains with only trees! It even dropped close to 10 fps...! I even turned a few settings down (autogen) but even then it didn't get above 20.I saved the flight, loaded it, got an fps of 30 for a few seconds and immediately fps dropped again.Now I have autogen at Very dense, which is a lot, I know, but I had that too before SP1. It seems that around cities fps is improved by SP1, but above the forests it seems to have gone down.Anyone else noticed this?