Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

LOD_RADIUS and SP1

Hi everybody,despite nice fps gains, I was a bit dissappointed that SP1 would seem more blurry in the distance. I have read that changing LOD_RADIUS would crash FSX RTM, nevertheless I decided to play with it in SP1.To my surprise, SP1 did in fact run with increased LOD_RADIUS. And unless my vision is fooling me, I think it does indeed help having more crisp textures in the distant. On the other hand, I also noticed fps decreasing a bit. Anyways, I am now happy with LOD_RADIUS=6.5. Maybe others could play with LOD_RADIUS as well, so that I can be sure that I'm not experiencing some kind of placebo effect... ;-)Greetings from Germany,Uwe

Hi Uwe,I think this is real and machine dependent. My machine runs great at the "medium" setting LOD_RADIUS=3.5 and totally chokes at the large setting LOD_RADIUS=4.5, so for me LOD_RADIUS=4.0 is actually the optimimum.When I get a new computer, I hope to increase this value... : - )Currently: P4-2.8, 1GB.

Bert

Settng LOD_RADIUS greateer than 4.5 would bring your FPS down. So any gains in FPS would be lost by increasing this.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I agree it is a balancing act, but with more processing power you can afford to trade off fps vs graphics quality..

Bert

I tried 6.5. Still smooth FPS. Higher memory usage causing stutters while turning. It takes slightly longer before blurries kick in.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I've been up to LOD 8.0 but the FPS dropped too much so I am currently experimenting and have it set on 5.0.Issue: LOD radius implies that there is is a "Level of detail" sphere surrounding the aircraft and as the aircraft ascends the ground level of detail becomes smaller until the "Magic LOD sphere" surrounding the aircraft becomes so high that it leaves the ground implying that no ground around the aircraft would have a high level of detail. Consequently the greatest ground cover for a high LOD is when the aircraft is actually on the ground (when you can't see too far from the cockpit anyway). Ergo the LOD is only important after take off and for the first few thousand feet of altitude.A commercial aircraft driver wouldn't get a lot of value from a high LOD setting because of the cruising levels flown. Whereas a "Bush Basher" might need the extra eye candy to keep immersion levels up.Any ideas/comments?John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

You are quite right John. LOD is not going to help with Blurries.It only gives a starting radius of clear ground textures. The larger the LOD is, the larger the initial settings. If you have blurries issues.. Once you leave that ring, you would have that problem.Setting LOD as small as possible for you.. the better. 3.5-4.5 seems sufficient. 4.0 is a nice number that works for me.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter