Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

Today I learned: B-17, The Might Airliner?

Today I learned that Scandinavian Airlines converted a shot down B17 into service as an airliner.    Saw some pics from SA's facebook page,  apparently they had several.

Heard about it while watching this,

243307-10150641755465788-4387265-o.jpg

243307-10150641755460788-3442373-o.jpg

243307-10150641755455788-339278-o.jpg

Kind of curious now,  from the windows in the one shot it looks like a passenger conversion.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

European service[edit]

Sweden, a neutral country, interned the crew and aircraft, one of eight U.S. heavy bombers that diverted to Sweden that day. A deal was made between the Swedish and U.S. governments to permit around 300 American crewmen to be repatriated in exchange for a promise not to use the crewmen in combat again and to formally turn over to Sweden nine B-17s that had landed intact. Seven of these were converted by Saab Aircraft into airliners that could carry 14 passengers, and "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" flew for SILA (now Scandinavian Airlines).

In December 1945 it was one of two B-17s sold to Danish carrier Det Danske Luftfartselskab A/S, later a part of SAS, and remained in civilian service until June 1947 as the "Stig Viking" (civilian registry OY-DFA). The B-17 was subsequently transferred in March 1948 to the Danish Army Air Corps, flying as "Store Bjørn" 672, and in December 1949, to the Danish Naval Air Service. From October 1952 the Danish Air Force 721 Squadron used the transport for Greenland; finally retiring it a year later. After two years in storage, she was sold to the Institut Géographique National, a French aerial mapping company based in Creil outside Paris, and flew under the civilian registry F-BGSH.[5] The aircraft last flew in July 1961, and then lay abandoned for several years.

Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Shoo_Shoo_Baby

Edited by Waldo Pepper

Would be great to have option for civilian B17 for A2A bird. I would prefer to fly civilian version - big fan of big radials but not necessarily big guns

Edited by Beardyman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Artur 

I remember seeing the civvie-B-17 in a book on airliners of the world from 1967 that I probably still have somewhere... The illustration showed it in a bright yellow all-over livery, but judging from the pictures on the SAS facebook website

https://www.facebook.com/SAS/photos/on-of-the-ex-usaaf-boeing-b-17-bombers-converted-by-saab-during-world-war-ii-to-/10150641755460788/

they look like either bare metal or something of a darker paint scheme. It might have had to do with how the planes were used... Domestic flights might not have been an issue, but if a B-17 suddenly appears over German (occupied) skies things could have gotten a bit hairy.

It's a pity that I can't find any pictures of the interior. I can't imagine how cramped the seating must have been.

There is an interesting list of civilian operators at

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_Boeing_B-17_Flying_Fortress_operators

B-17GtwaNL-1B_(4423687741).jpg?164146165

and for those hankering for a real pax-variant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_307_Stratoliner

Boeing_307_Stratoliner,_Pan_Am_JP5629675

Cheers

Mallard

• Upvote 1

They should have had an observation room under the cockpit in the Bombardier compartment area.  Would have been cool to look out.

Would not have been comfortable or wide enough fuselage to make it economically feasible, the Boeing 377 was an awesome airliner and perfect passenger comfort even if it was loud

Matthew Kane

Wow, he was ogling the stewardess, so she is taking his pizza back for punishment! 🤣

DUDnyhx.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.