Sign in to follow this  
lemonid

Weird intermittent FPS drop

I’ve been having a strangest issue with my FPS. Ever since today I started struggling with an intermittent FPS loss which doesn’t seem to be a result of any particular issue. Everything worked just fine yesterday and I’d been able to maintain a stable 30fps on my 3070, running 1440p. All of a sudden today FPS seem to tank sometimes just after the launch, at times a few minutes later. They stay around 10-12, which is virtually unplayable and then sometimes come back to normality, only to go down again and stay there for good. It’s almost impossible to finish any flight. Could that be related to the fact that Live Weather is broken again? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Edit: also, it’s worth mentioning that as soon as I come back to main menu FPS indicator in Developer Mode shows return to the usual number of FPS, which leaves me thinking it can’t be a hardware issue.

Edited by lemonid

I have had this today. It started after I had a discord stream from a buddy running on another display, then never went away, even if I quite discord. I have a 5900X, 3070 Ti, and also play maxed out 1440p. Normally 70ish FPS at cruise but was 13 today, down to 4.

5900X

32GB DDR4-3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 Ti

Game installed on 980 PRO

Main display Gigabyte M27Q X 27" 1440p 240Hz

The original poster in this thread today had fps suddenly drop and improve, maybe is not related.....

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, M3Stang said:

I have had this today. 

Same here. 3.5h into my flight and started getting this on approach to MROC, I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish the flight, but I did with 2 to 3 FPS on final. Must be something with their servers today and I'm glad I wasn't alone in this, was hoping it wasn't my machine.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

2 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Same here. 3.5h into my flight and started getting this on approach to MROC, I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish the flight, but I did with 2 to 3 FPS on final. Must be something with their servers today and I'm glad I wasn't alone in this, was hoping it wasn't my machine.

I too had this happen today sometime around 2000Z.  Strange intermittent sounds and slow FPS.  Hit Esc to go into Options to dial back settings but got no response for perhaps 2 minutes.  MSFS just kept doing it.  Once into Options it took quite a while for each change to complete.  At one time MSFS went totally silent for about 30 seconds and I felt I was about to lose the flight. I was almost two hours in.  Then as strangely as it appears it began to resolve, but slowly.  Finally returned to normal FPS and sounds.  I went into options again and dialed my settings back up.  Flight finished without any additional issues.  Was really strange!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I was on initial decent into KJFK passing over Norfolk VA when it happened. Ended up having to quite over southern NJ it was so bad. In the Longitude.

5900X

32GB DDR4-3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 Ti

Well, good to know it’s not some hardware issue, as I was starting to worry there was some problem with my CPU or something. But then again it really couldn’t be - my computer is one month old, all the temperatures stayed way below 60-65 degrees and nothing like that had happened ever before. It looks as if for some reason MSFS was blocking itself from running properly. The question is how to deal with it or is it just one of these things that need to be addressed by ASOBO and there’s nothing that can be done on a user’s end. Regardless, I’ll perform some other tests today and see if it goes away.

Have you try to turn off Live Weather when it happens? I have noticed very huge fps drops lately when I arrive at arrival airports, which return to normal when I turn it off.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I have tried it indeed, sadly to no avail. But I’ve been reading a lot of reports on MSForums of people having very similar issue. It seems to be a general server problem which affects the way sim loads data.

Sounds like server problems holding up the sim.  I haven't flown with live weather or photogrammetry for some time, and I haven't seen this at all, so there is a good chance it is related to streaming data of some kind.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

For those of you having this problem are you running the beta?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Hmm, getting the same issues here.  Running at 40ish FPS in the Caravan for a while and then after about 2 hours, the stuttering kicked in a FPS dropped to 20 or less.  Tried to turn off photogrammetry and Bing detail but the sim crashed.  

Not on the beta here.

I am in beta and I experienced this Saturday beginning about 2 hours into a 6 hour flight.  I had to close the flight after about 4 hours because it was so bad.  Prior to this i have never experience anything like this on many many long haul flights.

Edited by scanham

Steve Canham

In my case I’m not using beta and it happens almost a few minutes after the launch, so it doesn’t only affect long haul flights anymore:/

I just tried it on my Xbox Series X as well, same flight I had the issue with on my PC and the game CTD on there as well.

5900X

32GB DDR4-3600MHz

ZOTAC RTX 3070 Ti