Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Inflight alt-menu completely useless... any ideas?

Up to when I load my first flight, everything is alright with FS X. I can change options, change plans, do anything without any problems. But as soon as I loaded the first flight, I can hardly change anything without having to wait minutes for changes or without locking up FS X completely. For instance, if I want to change a display setting inflight, the menu freezes for long periods. Clicking an option can take 30 seconds or more before I get a reaction. Loading the initial flight takes no more than 30 seconds but reloading a flight takes a few minutes. Sometimes FS X just freezes completely (or at least it doesn't react way too long...) It's A LOT faster to close FS X and reload it completely, just to change ONE setting...!!!I have Windows Vista Home Premium, an E6600, 8800GTX and 2 Gb of Ram. Anyone else has this problem? Any ideas what I can change to get a responsive FS X menu?P.S. This was already a fact before SP1. I hoped SP1 would help, but it didn't.

Upgrade to WinXP SP2...??? :-outta Seriously, this is a VISTA problem, not an FSX problem. If it were FSX releated, there'd be a LOT more folks reporting the same issue.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't know if this applies to vista, but if I set my process/application priority too high I run into this sometimes. I tried to set it to "Realtime" but it just locks up and you haveto use the three finger solution to end the program.

Sorry Bill,Not a Vista problem ;-) Almost identical systems - and I don't have the problem.Cheers,S

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Guest kifp

I get the same plus some rebooting, but only in SLI mode. Same card as you. 8800 GTX. All my drivers are up to date.

Guest kifp

Forgot to mention my os is winxp home.

What does "up to date" drivers mean? Which driver are you using? I think there are three current drivers out there at the moment.What motherboard are you using? I assume you are aware of this since you've set up the system as an SLI rig, but there are some boards out there that only support ATI Crossfire SLI (though I have seen references to motherboard hacks to get around this). I assume both of your 8800 GTX cards have both power connectors installed (I only have a single GTS, which only has a single power connector, but I have seen several references to the GTX having two power connectors and needing both of them installed)?Sorry, I imagine you've tried all this, but just thought I'd check. Perhaps a full listing of your system and driver numbers might help someone see an issue.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest kifp

I really wasn't looking for help. The only reason I posted was it's not just a vista issue. Their is nothing wrong with my setup. I'm pretty sure it's a FSX problem, or clash with nvidea drivers. But who knows for sure. I'll just deal until other fixes come along.

>Sorry Bill,>>Not a Vista problem ;-) Almost identical systems - and I>don't have the problem.Fair enough, perhaps it's not strictly a "Vista problem." It is also crystal clear that it's not an "FSX SP1 problem" either.What IS more than clear is that there are simply too many variables involved to make any sweeping, definitive statements that're unsupported by direct, experiential evidence.Keep this in mind. FSX SP1 runs well* on my system (see specs in my signature).If MY machine can run FSX SP1 well*, there's nothing whatsoever in either FSX or SP1 that's holding YOUR system back......except local system** issue(s) that YOU must find and fix. :-beerchug*NOTE: "well" is defined as minimum 16 fps, maximum 40 fps, average 22 fps in dense urban areas, forrested areas, and mountainous areas with HIGH details and 2.0 water.**NOTE: "system" includes hardware, OS, drivers, background services, et cetera in addition to FSX configuration settings.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest kifp

I discovered if I run FSX at 1024x768 & have my desk top higher it runs without any problems. I haven't tested various resolutions to death, but this works.

Guest jaapverduijn

I had the same issue. I "solved" it by doing a system restore to "pre-FSX" and then reinstalling FSX. Problem gone. I know, it's not a true solution because I still don't know what initially caused it, but at least it's gone! Be well!Jaap Verduijn.