Sign in to follow this  
Rockliffe

Ideas on Norway Mesh

Posted (edited)

I have found myself flying around Norway recently in my newly acquired, beautiful Kodiak 100 :biggrin: But I've noticed that much of the fjords and mountains are pretty low resolution terrain/mesh. Can anyone offer their opinions on my observation. I've looked at some of the replacement mesh on Flightsim.to but would like to hear first hand whether they are worth installing and if they come with any issues.There is also some 15m available from Taburet. Thanks fellas.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 2

Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 4.8ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately Howard, Norway isn't that well catered for in terms of mesh, which is a shame, as it is so naturally beautiful.  Asobo gave he whole of Scandinavia a makeover a few world updates ago, and I think they added 20 metre DEM in some areas, but something like 10 would be so much better and probably the sweet spot.  5 metre can be a bit hard on PC resources.

So if anyone knows of any good 10m DEM, I would like to know as well.

Unfortunately, I have heard that Slartybartfast is holding on to the rights of the really detailed mesh.  He designed the crinkly bits around the edges of Norway you know! :biggrin:

PS.  I used some of the Austria and Switzerland mesh from flightsim.to a while back and it was good.  I discarded it when Asobo gave the area a world update as their DEM level is just as good now.  So the free Norway DEM might be worth a try if it is about 10m.  I will take a look myself later in the week when I get time.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 5

Call me Rob or Bob - I don't mind...  OK, I prefer Rob actually!

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio!

Intel i9 12900k in a ROG Strix Z690 D4 motherboard with water cooling, EVGA RTX 3080Ti Ultra, 32 GB DDR4 RAM 3800 CL15, 4 x Samsung 1 TB NVME M.2, with MSFS on a Samsung 980 pro PCIE4 (7000 gb/s).

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

So the free Norway DEM might be worth a try if it is about 10m

The free mesh on flightsim.to is 20m and  the Taburet mesh ( currently 13 USD ) on simmarket is 15m.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Me too!!! Norway has been my favorite flying location for many years now. In P3D I flew over there for years (mainly with the Majestic Q400 but also with a few A2A planes) without ever leaving the area. The Scandinavian update did improve things (no more ugly holes all over the place) but specially with the Kodiak, in which I like to fly low over the mountains, things look too soft and rounded indeed. I'd LOVE to get some 10m DEM for is and wouldn't mind paying for it either. I don't think the Taburet 15m mesh is worth it... I'd like to see some comparison screenshots first before I'd get that.

• Like 3

I use the meshes from Taburet for Norway, Italy, France (excellent Corsica 5m Mesh) and Canary Islands. They are good, updated, nearly no popups and i have no performance problems with my old laptop.Flying norway with this Taburet mesh and the googlemap replacement files (free mod) is excellent.

For the Himalayas\CentralAsia i use the orbx mesh.

I am in no way associated with taburet, and i find their other products such as roads,.... etc not as satisfying.

Cheers  Repman

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Unfortunately, I have heard that Slartybartfast is holding on to the rights of the really detailed mesh.  He designed the crinkly bits around the edges of Norway you know! :biggrin:

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen5 5600X, RTX3070, 600 Watt Gold, Dell S3222DGM 32" curved 1440p VA, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB M.2. NVMe...Warthog HOTAS, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels (multi, switch, radio), StreamDeck, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have been waiting for years for a good mesh for my second home Norway. Unfortunately none is good, a hope on the side of ORBX can be...

• Like 2

Guillaume

Thanks for all the replies and info fellas, appreciated. I think, on reflection, as it is a reasonably priced option, I'll try the Taburet 15m mesh and see how I get on. :wink:

• Like 2

Howard
P3DV4.5, MSFS2020, MSI Mag Z490 Tomahawk MB, i7-10700 CPU @ 4.8ghz, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb RAM@3200Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

23 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Thanks for all the replies and info fellas, appreciated. I think, on reflection, as it is a reasonably priced option, I'll try the Taburet 15m mesh and see how I get on. :wink:

Please keep us posted! Preferably with a huge set of comparison screenshots and a comprehensive video review but a simple post about your experience would do too. 😋

• Like 3

Norway is in reality a beautiful and moody place to be. My wife and I went on a cruise from Bergen to Kirkenes a couple of years ago in february. Words can't describe the beauty of this unique place. It was a bit bloomin cold though 🙂

One hope for MSFS I have:
I reckon (and I could be wrong of course) FSX and P3D tended to focus on customer location to work out which areas to make the most detailed.

MSFS hopefully gives Microsoft some accurate feedback on where people are actually flying. 

Personally and as a VFR, slow and low player I have very little interest in flying at home. The UK is fairly dull for VFR IMO. I already know what the UK looks like so the omissions, mistakes and inconsistencies stand out like a sore thumb. My favourite places to fly are the Alps, PNG, Hymalayas and Northern Europe/Scandinavia. Hopefully MS are getting that.

• Like 4

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

2 minutes ago, GaryK said:

I already know what the UK looks like so the omissions, mistakes and inconsistencies stand out like a sore thumb.

LOL I recognize that! I also don't like to fly in my home country (Netherlands) because I know the place too well and indeed mainly see the things that aren't correct! (Besides, my home country is flat all over the place and even more dull than the UK which at least has Wales and Scotland to make things more interesting). Everywhere else on the globe I can easily make myself believe that what I am seeing down there actually is how it is in real life! I've visited Norway during 12 vacations but mainly in the seventies and once in 1996, so even though I feel familiair with the country and absolutely love it I have no problem being convinced by what MSFS shows me. 😉

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Please keep us posted! Preferably with a huge set of comparison screenshots and a comprehensive video review but a simple post about your experience would do too. 😋

Downloading as I type, so I'll probably post a separate thread with some comparisons.

• Like 5

Howard

12 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Unfortunately Howard, Norway isn't that well catered for in terms of mesh, which is a shame, as it is so naturally beautiful.  Asobo gave he whole of Scandinavia a makeover a few world updates ago, and I think they added 20 metre DEM in some areas, but something like 10 would be so much better and probably the sweet spot.  5 metre can be a bit hard on PC resources.

Give me 5 meter or 1 meter mesh. I can handle it.

• Like 1

The mesh data must exist somewhere as Orbxs' FTX Norway for FSX/P3D included a 10m mesh.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tup61 said:

so even though I feel familiair with the country and absolutely love it I have no problem being convinced by what MSFS shows me. 😉

Same here. I just need what I'm looking at to be plausible, and that goes for airports as well. If Asobo had done a slightly better job with the default airports I probably wouldn't need the add-ons. 

Edited by mobeans10
Spelling