Sign in to follow this  
kiwi_biplane

Simulation: the sky doesn't have to always be the same

Great photos! I initially thought these were MSFS...had to re-read your caption several times!

• Like 2

Beautiful skies in your set!

• Like 2

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

2 hours ago, rmeier said:

Great photos! I initially thought these were MSFS...had to re-read your caption several times!

1 hour ago, Pugilist2 said:

Beautiful skies in your set!

Thanks! Yes, this is P3D version 4.5. Nowadays, few people use this old version of the simulator.

• Like 1

Gennadiy

Wow - Stunning atmosphere mate and with 4.5 ; who woulda have thunk it .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kiwi_biplane said:

Yes, this is P3D version 4.5.

What are you using to get such great looking clouds ?

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

8 hours ago, Rogen said:

What are you using to get such great looking clouds ?

Use a special tweak for middle tier clouds and a separate tweak for cirrus clouds, as well as custom textures of sky and clouds, but tweaks (shader code) can be used with any cloud textures (for example, REX). These tweaks were created by our colleague Limbu, and I only have the sky textures for them. If you still have P3D 4.5, then you can download the ready-made set from the link and try a new landscape, be sure to make backup copies of the "Texture" and "ShadersHLSL" folders in the simulator, and then follow the instructions for installation and use.

Gennadiy

12 hours ago, kiwi_biplane said:

Use a special tweak for middle tier clouds and a separate tweak for cirrus clouds

Thanks man,

Do you happen to know which shader files are the relevent ones ?

I ask because I already have a number of shader mods in place and don't really want to loose them with a full overwrite.

Also I note the archive includes a P3D version number of 4.5.13, however the final P3D v4.5 version was 4.5.14 which did appear to have different version shader builds appropriate to the version number change.

Anyway I gave it an overview and just copied the Cloud.fx and Stars.fx as a trial, which seems to work pretty well, clouds are much more dramatic and light focused.

spacer.png

Ok, futher testing of the clouds.fx shader shows it is very heavy on the GPU, pretty much maxes out my 1070Ti, which in turn causes of a loss of fps.

Additionally I loose my ground lighting and cloud shadows.

A couple of comparison pics:

With the modified clouds.fx (maxs out my GPU)

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

The prior version of clouds.fx (~78% GPU use)

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

So yeah, while the clouds via the modified shader look absolutely great, they do come at the cost of considerable consumption of GPU resources, (maxed out vs. ~78% use for same scene), and have a lack of shadowing and lighting showing through gaps in the cloud cover.

Edited by Rogen
Futher testing
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Hello! Thank you for your feedback and analysis.

10 hours ago, Rogen said:

Ok, futher testing of the clouds.fx shader shows it is very heavy on the GPU, pretty much maxes out my 1070Ti, which in turn causes of a loss of fps.

You are right, dynamic lighting of clouds requires additional processing power of the video card and this negatively affects the FPS.

10 hours ago, Rogen said:

Additionally I loose my ground lighting and cloud shadows.

The cloud shadows should be fine.
The density and amount of shadows on the ground depends not only on the amount and density of clouds of all tiers and on the angle of illumination by the sun, but also on the transparency of the atmosphere and sky textures, which also contain information about the brightness of shadow and illuminated areas of the terrain.

Spoiler

2022-1-6-12-0-29-145.jpg

2022-1-6-12-0-42-416.jpg

2022-1-6-11-52-27-197.jpg

Gennadiy

Beautiful shots, all of them

• Like 1

All my FSX/P3D repaints are here on Avsim, for my MSFS repaints, go to FS.2