Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

For the next time the "sim or game" debate is raised :)

2 hours ago, WestAir said:

I'm going to pull up the FCOM get some numbers and give you the dirty ZFW stall speed of the 747-800, then try and figure out at what fpm descent you could maintain to avoid stalling

Keep in mind I'm just a private pilot. But static fpm descent is doing nothing to change the wing loading (since it is un-accelerated). The G-forces would be constant, no?

• Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

30 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Keep in mind I'm just a private pilot. But static fpm descent is doing nothing to change the wing loading (since it is un-accelerated). The G-forces would be constant, no?

You paid attention during the oral! Yes sir, the stall speed changes with wing loading and has nothing to do with any set fpm. Thanks for the correction. Guess I need to dust off some of my old books. 😂

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

29 minutes ago, WestAir said:

You paid attention during the oral!

I just want to stay alive up there, sir! 😂

• Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

People who call it a game dont have a problem with that, it's the people who call it a sim who are woried.

Is that because, if they ever on a flight where both pilots are being incapacitated , their aura will show the cabin crew to ask them to save the plane??

I have flown gliders for many years and the only thing I'm really missing is that I can't fly myself airsick and a permanent computer shut down and the scolding of club members after a hard landing.

You can call it what you want I just hope you enjoy it.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

12 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

if they ever on a flight where both pilots are being incapacitated , their aura will show the cabin crew to ask them to save the plane??

"Yes sir, we understand that you sim in MSFS 2020, but we just want to poll the passengers to see if any have some flight time in X-Plane or P3D first" 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, OneOfMany said:

"Yes sir, we understand that you sim in MSFS 2020, but we just want to poll the passengers to see if any have some flight time in X-Plane or P3D first" 

Nice one!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

7 hours ago, 40track said:

Game from what we see as default but a sim if Airbuses removed and in their place 747 inserted.

That is a tongue in cheek joke, right?🤨

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

People in this tread who think they're experts are saying the 747 was FLYING at 90 kts lol. Were we watching the same vid? The guy pulled up at the last second to bleed off a ton of speed and the callout sounded like it was conducting an auction just before touchdown haha!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

10 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

That is a tongue in cheek joke, right?🤨

Jokes aside with all sim Airbus models I've noticed in every contemporary sim with 2 early 90s Aircraft models that somehow snuck in taking the absolute cake. Luckily im team Boeing so its a non issue but getting back to whether its a sim I'm sure it is. And as whether it'll become the next P3D this most likely would happen with a better installer e.t.c.

Edited by 40track

MSFS is the first sim that has really made me take the weather into consideration when planning flights. Ignore the dangers and you can have a really bad day. But hey, reduce it to "just a game" if you want to....

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 1/7/2022 at 5:06 AM, Stearmandriver said:

I'm not even sure what this means. I'm unable to locate any company using either X Plane

Is real aircraft manufacturing good enough?

Is NASA good enough as well?

https://github.com/nasa/XPlaneConnect

The X-Plane Connect (XPC) Toolbox is an open source research tool used to interact with the commercial flight simulator software X-Plane. XPC allows users to control aircraft and receive state information from aircraft simulated in X-Plane using functions written in C, C++, Java, MATLAB, or Python in real time over the network. This research tool has been used to visualize flight paths, test control algorithms, simulate an active airspace, or generate out-the-window visuals for in-house flight simulation software. Possible applications include active control of an XPlane simulation, flight visualization, recording states during a flight, or interacting with a mission over UDP.

Edited by mtaxp

22 hours ago, WestAir said:

Again, you can stall at any airspeed. I can fly a 747 at 90 knots without the stick shaker going off, if I wanted. I can't do that in straight and level flight, but neither did the 748 in this video...

EDIT: I'm at work for the next 12 hours but when I get home I'm going to pull up the FCOM get some numbers and give you the dirty ZFW stall speed of the 747-800, then try and figure out at what fpm descent you could maintain to avoid stalling, and then if I feel up to it I'll do this same parabolic landing in a PMDG 748 and an XP11 SSG 748...

Unless someone else has today off and wants to help me out by doing it first. 😂

Who said that X-Plane or P3D 747 are "real"???? 

Again, I didn't mention stall. I think that even at minimum weight, it is pretty hard that you can have enough lift at 90 knots.

I have PSX on my other PC, which is very accurate, I will let you know.

A.

A.

3 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Is real aircraft manufacturing good enough?

Good enough for what? You seem to have truncated my statement in your quote, omitting the part about the software being used in an "actual simulator."  Just an oversight, I'm sure. 

But none of your examples are actual simulators, are they?  Admittedly I just skimmed through them, but from what I saw most of those look to be demos and wouldn't even meet the definition of a training device.  What do you see that makes you believe they're meeting the definition of even a level A simulator?  Have I missed something? 

Criteria explained here: 

https://www.ast-simulators.com.au/resources/simulator-levels-explained

Andrew Crowley